Is eating food actually necessary?

Options

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Erm, I'll stick to the real thing thanks, I'm pretty sure there are repercussions in the body with not eating any solid food.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's necessary, it's delicious!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes. Because if I couldn't eat, I would probably lose my will to live.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you have to eat ice cream.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes. Because if I couldn't eat, I would probably lose my will to live.

This.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary for me to eat food to live? Probably not
    Is it necessary for those around me to live? Definitely
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not going in there but to answer your title: Many doctors suggest you can survive 40 days without food. Muslims saints are known to live on Ab-e-ZumZum (water from a sacred well in Mecca, Saudi Arabia) for many months.

So yes, you can survive without it. But should you? NO! Food is delicious. Food is good. Food is healthy! The people with ED thinks food isn't necessary and go to extreme and you know how they endup. Food might not be a necessity to survive but I don't think anyones goal is to just survive...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

^This
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'll call the dictionary folks and let them know "interesting" now means "idiotic".
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's just an interesting concept. 100% engineered nutrition. It's how sci-fi sees us eating someday. Personally, I had my Friday Post-weigh-in Half Reuben today, and the thought of never having that again makes me well up a little ...
  • sullus
    Options
    I'm not going in there but to answer your title: Many doctors suggest you can survive 40 days without food. Muslims saints are known to live on Ab-e-ZumZum (water from a sacred well in Mecca, Saudi Arabia) for many months.

So yes, you can survive without it. But should you? NO! Food is delicious. Food is good. Food is healthy! The people with ED thinks food isn't necessary and go to extreme and you know how they endup. Food might not be a necessity to survive but I don't think anyones goal is to just survive...

The premise is that this isn't just about survival, but could potentially be better than traditional food.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Better than snorting it or shooting it up.
  • sullus
    Options
    I'll call the dictionary folks and let them know "interesting" now means "idiotic".

For the record - reading and discussing concepts isn't idiotic. Not reading and adding nothing to the discussion is.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't consider eating "repetitive drudgery" ... preparing delicious food and enjoying it with loved ones is a very important part of my life.

That being said, I can see some benefits in the long-term for various applications. Just not how I would want to live my day-to-day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

THIS x 100,000,000,000,000,000

Also.. Food is yummy.. and well. that is all..
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that someone would eventually come up with the 'food of the future'. Considering the worlds population is set to hit about 9 Billion in another 30 years and I don't see any mass die off's anytime soon we will be facing enormous pressure as a civilization to feed everyone. I can totally see this as a solution - possibly. Of course I believe that it will be taken over by some corporation and sold for a lot more than what most starving people will be able to afford but I also have lost all faith in humanity at this point.

Personally I like food too much to be interested in giving it up - even to make weight loss 'easy'. My boyfriend on the other hand would probably jump at the chance (until he realized that would mean he isn't eating my yummy cooking anymore). Of course from an evolutionary standpoint we are 'supposed' to eat . The human body is designed to break down and digest 'food' so circumventing this chain might cause unintended consequences.
  • sullus
    Options
    the exact contents of what he calls "soylent" are here: http://robrhinehart.com/
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Pretty much.

People might say I don't need beer either. Pfft.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary for me to eat food to live? Probably not

This.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No