Meat labeling trickery, Must read

Options
Something like 60% of the energy/calories in a serving of “80% lean” ground meat is comprised of fat. Why is this??? The “93% lean” ground meat at my grocery store comprises about 40 percent of its calories as calories from fat....Why is this? Labeling trickery.....why is this?

This trickery has caused me to look toward veggies as a protein source.

My most lean meats are all around 15% of its calories/energy from fat...my butterball grilled chicken strips, my bumblebee tuna, my Swanson canned chicken breasts, my Hillshire farm lunch meat at 50 calories per 2 oz of meat is at about 15% calories/energy from fat....so why is ground red meat being labeled as "95% lean" or "85% lean" when what they should be saying is 40% fat or 60% fat?....

Reese’s peanut butter cups comprise about 45% of its calories/energy from fat....so I guess a candy bar is a leaner food than most ground red meat.....???

Something is wrong here….either red meat is way more unhealthy than I thought or my “Lean meats” (listed above) are not as healthy as I thought, or both….

I just checked, my “Swanson white premium chunk chicken breast” in a can states 98% fat free on the front label of the can, on the nutrition facts label it states 60 calories per serving and fat calories as 10….ok let’s do that math…10 divided by 60 = .1666667 or 16 %....so 16 percent of the energy I get from my Swanson canned chicken is energy from fat…..16% of the calories consumed are fat calories!!!! So why does it say that it is 98% fat free on the front label????

People who label meat are trying to trick us....

Comment on this.

Replies

• DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    shouldnt the canned chicken say 84% fat free???
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    1 gram of carbs, 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of fat have different calories.

When it says that your ground beef is 80% lean that means that in a 100gram serving max. 20grams of fat are allowed.
    It does not mean that 20% of the calories are from fat because fat has more calories per gram than protein.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    1 gram of carbs, 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of fat have different calories.

When it says that your ground beef is 80% lean that means that in a 100gram serving max. 20grams of fat are allowed.
    It does not mean that 20% of the calories are from fat because fat has more calories per gram than protein.

so then the canned chicken should be labeled on the front that it is about 92% lean??? because a gram of fat at 9 cals per gram has about twice as many calories as a gram of carb or protein at 4 cals per gram....so even if i divide my 16% in half it is still only 8%, not the 2% that the front label would have me belive...

Mystery still not solved!!!

Can anyone solve this mystery???
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    i think the word "LEAN" when used to describe meat is being used as a standard of visual inspection....for example, if you show me a t-bone steak and ask me what percentage of the steak is fat i might say that 10% of the steak is fat because i visually *kitten* the fat content around the edges or the marbeling through out the steak....that same steak is likely somewhere around 50% of its calories from fat
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    What Dee said. According to the USDA nutrition data:

100grams of 90% lean ground beef = 20g protein, roughly and 10g fat, roughly. The rest is non-macro-applying tissues/water/etc.

20g protein = 80 calories

10g fat = 90 calories

Total calories (of all calorie makers) = 176

Fat ratio in calories (to protein) = 51%

Fat ratio in grams (to total grams of meat) = 10%
  • ShawnMStarr
    ShawnMStarr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A couple of things of note, since Dee covered the percentage stuff.

Getting protein from veggies is not the same as getting protein from animal sources. Even soy is nowhere near as soluble and therefore useful as animal protein for use in the human body. Your body prefers animal protein when it comes to most of its functional uses. Its why you will never, ever see a vegetarian with significant muscle composition.

Second, depending on what the fat composition is (and 80/20 is a no-no entirely for healthy minded folks, mainly because of the massive serving of saturated fat), it can be okay. Especially as a male, you NEED dietary fat to ensure proper testosterone and other hormone regulation/production/release. Granted, you can over do it, but if you're keeping fat intake at around 30% of your daily caloric intake, you're probably pretty close to where you need to be.

Lets take a look, for comparison sake, at a 4 ounce serving of 93/7 vs 80/20 ground beef.

Calories 170
    Total Fat 8 g
    -Saturated 3 g
    Potassium 449 mg
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Protein 23 g
    Cholesterol 65 mg

Calories 231
    Total Fat 15 g
    -Saturated 6 g
    -Monounsaturated 7 g
    Trans 1 g
    Potassium 323 mg
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Protein 23 g
    Cholesterol 76 mg

So, a solid 23 grams of protein in each. But, when you look at the 80/20, you nearly double in total fat as well as saturated fat. Additionally, you lose some valuable potassium. Red meat gets a bad rap, but if you stick with the leaner cuts, 93/7 or better, it really does have a lot of value and can be largely beneficial.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

100grams of 90% lean ground beef = 20g protein, roughly and 10g fat, roughly. The rest is non-macro-applying tissues/water/etc.

10g fat = 90 calories

tghe math still does not add up....even if your talking 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat for a total of 30 grams then 10 divided 30 is still 33% fat, not "10% LEAN" or the "51%" you suggested....

Mystery still not solved...

Make the math work

Can anyone solve this mystery????
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The percentage is by weight not calories.
  • RumpusP
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

tghe math still does not add up....even if your talking 20 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat for a total of 30 grams then 10 divided 30 is still 33% fat, not "10% LEAN" or the "51%" you suggested....

Make the math work

It's because you're not doing basic math right.

Again:

10grams of fat in 100grams of meat = 10% fat or "90% lean"

100grams of 90% lean meat = abut 176 calories

10grams of fat = 90 calories

fat cal : total cal ratio = 51%

The meat by grams is 10% and therefor the meat is 90% lean.

The meat by calories is 51% fat.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

Make the math work

Try reading it again. It's all there.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

Make the math work

Again:

you said above that it has 30 grams in total, 10from fat and 20 from protein for a total of 30 grams, 10 of thoes 30 grams are fat so that means that by weight 33% of the "macro-applying tissues" is fat....this web site is about counting calories and macros right???

the labeling is dishonest and makes meat appear 4-6 times less fatty and leaner than it actually is
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Again:

Very Nice!!!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    troll poster is a troll
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

Make the math work

Try reading it again. It's all there.

Exactly. Meat does not only consist of protein and fat. There's also water in it that adds to the weight but not to the calories.

Maybe you mix up 80% lean with 80% protein?! Which is not the case for meat.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    why doesnt the label just say 49% lean if its 51% fat???? ...its just dishonest and misleading.....what if i said i was 90 percent lean??? would you assume i had 10% body fat or would you assume i had 51% body fat??? these numbers are radically different....im not splitting hairs here
  • RumpusP
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

Make the math work

Again:

you said above that it has 30 grams in total, 10from fat and 20 from protein for a total of 30 grams, 10 of thoes 30 grams are fat so that means that by weight 33% of the "macro-applying tissues" is fat....this web site is about counting calories and macros right???

the labeling is dishonest and makes meat appear 4-6 times less fatty and leaner than it actually is

No, go back and read again.

There are 100 grams total equaling 176 calories.

10 of them are fat = 90 calories

20 of them are protein = 80 calories

90/176 = 51% calories from fat
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

10g fat = 90 calories

Make the math work

Again:

They said there are 100 grams total, which 20 of them are protein, and 10 of them are fat, and the rest is non-macro-applying tissues/water/etc. It really isn't that hard to figure out.