Still trying to figure this out.

Options
I am relatively new to MFP and I know this topic has been discussed all over the place, so I apologize for being redundant. I just think it'll help me to ask the question in my own words.

I see the MFP automatically adds exercise cal's burned to my daily goal. Do I, or do I NOT eat up to my daily goal (meaning, eat back all of the calories burned)?

Honestly, I see a lot of information that says I should be eating 80% of my TDEE. That is more like 1560 than the 1350 MFP has me at.

All kinds of confused here, and since I lost 4 lbs week 1 (which was really a week and a half) and then GAINED 1.5 for my weigh in this morning, I am not certain which path to try first. Meaning, keep my total food at 1350 regardless of exercise, or, eat up to my 80% TDEE. I've got to pick one and stick with it for a couple of weeks I think, to see what's going to work for me.

My stats quickly in case it helps.

5'4"
SW: 196
CW: 191.5
GW: 145

(mini goal simply to see the first 10 lbs come off)

Replies

• AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to MFP and I know this topic has been discussed all over the place, so I apologize for being redundant. I just think it'll help me to ask the question in my own words.

I see the MFP automatically adds exercise cal's burned to my daily goal. Do I, or do I NOT eat up to my daily goal (meaning, eat back all of the calories burned)?

Honestly, I see a lot of information that says I should be eating 80% of my TDEE. That is more like 1560 than the 1350 MFP has me at.

All kinds of confused here, and since I lost 4 lbs week 1 (which was really a week and a half) and then GAINED 1.5 for my weigh in this morning, I am not certain which path to try first. Meaning, keep my total food at 1350 regardless of exercise, or, eat up to my 80% TDEE. I've got to pick one and stick with it for a couple of weeks I think, to see what's going to work for me.

My stats quickly in case it helps.

5'4"
    SW: 196
    CW: 191.5
    GW: 145

(mini goal simply to see the first 10 lbs come off)

Judging by all the answers I've seen it can work either way.

Some people are fine not eating their exercise calories back unless they are hungry that day, and lose consistently and don't stall out.

Some people have to eat those exercise calories back.

I bump back and forth and it works for me /shrug
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    From what I understand:

-if you're using sedentary as your activity level, eat back your exercise calories.

-if you're using the TDEE-20% (or whatever % works for you), you DON'T eat back your exercise calories.
  • mjenne74
    mjenne74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am set at sedentary so I choose to eat back roughly half of my exercise calories. I choose to eat half just in case the calories burned estimates here are higher than what I actually burn. It has worked well for me allowing 1260 calories a day before exercise and earning another 200-250 calories when I burn 400-500 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pick one or the other .....

MFP gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise .... so you are expected to eat calories back

1200 MFP + a 350 calorie workout gives me 1550 calories for the day. MFP calls this 1200 calories NET

TDEE INCLUDES your exercise before you do it.... so again, you are eating them back (mostly)

TDEE includes all my prospective activity - to lose weight I reduce this number by ....20% or so.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So, basically I'd end up eating close to the same calories either way I went with. Thanks. That is helpful!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE has your exercise calories figured in, unless you chose sedentary when figuring it out. MFP does not include any extra calories from exercise when they give you your calorie estimate. So, if you exercise you should eat back most or some of those calories.

Lots of people argue about the "to eat or not to eat exercise cals". I will say that I have always eaten most of mine back. I have lost the majority of my weight eating about 1600 + exercise cals a day. I'm not putting up crazy weight-loss numbers every week. But, I have not felt miserable or deprived. I have learned to eat in a way that I can for the rest of my life. No more diets for me.
  • beckty
    Options
    I am set at sedentary so I choose to eat back roughly half of my exercise calories. I choose to eat half just in case the calories burned estimates here are higher than what I actually burn. It has worked well for me allowing 1260 calories a day before exercise and earning another 200-250 calories when I burn 400-500 calories.

I have wondered about the accuracy of some of the estimated calories burned here too. I wondered if they were being rather generous. My calories burned for elliptical pretty closely mirrors what the elliptical machine says so, hmmm. If I don't start seeing results, then I am considering purchasing a Fitbit to see where I really am.
  • beckty
    Options
    Your TDEE has your exercise calories figured in, unless you chose sedentary when figuring it out. MFP does not include any extra calories from exercise when they give you your calorie estimate. So, if you exercise you should eat back most or some of those calories.

Lots of people argue about the "to eat or not to eat exercise cals". I will say that I have always eaten most of mine back. I have lost the majority of my weight eating about 1600 + exercise cals a day. I'm not putting up crazy weight-loss numbers every week. But, I have not felt miserable or deprived. I have learned to eat in a way that I can for the rest of my life. No more diets for me.

Thanks for this. I really hope this ends up being true for me as well. Because to make this a lifestyle, I don't think I can stand to stick to 1350 calories a day EVERY day. Sometimes, I am simply not as hungry and find it challenging to eat all of that. But man, when I am hungry and "can't" eat, it doesn't seem worth the effort.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options

excellent advice!!