Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Male or Female : female
    Height : 5"2
    Current weight (if you feel comfortable) :161
    Goal weight : 125
    Number of calories you eat : 1200 (give or take a few)
    Number of calories you NET: 500
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back: 700 from cardio. I don't eat them back

I have been doing this for about 2 months and lost 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is very frustrating! I am thinking about having my thyroid checked to see if there is a problem there

It's because you net 500 calories a day. *slams head on laptop*
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Female
    5'8"
    CW:228
    GW1: 195
    GW2:160
    Calories I eat: 1500-1800
    Net: see above-ish
    Number of calories I burn/eat back: depends on the day, sometimes all and then some.

I haven't been losing weight quickly, normally I would lose 1-2lbs per week on this. However, recently was told I have PCOS which can affect it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Male or Female : female
    Height : 5"2
    Current weight (if you feel comfortable) :161
    Goal weight : 125
    Number of calories you eat : 1200 (give or take a few)
    Number of calories you NET: 500
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back: 700 from cardio. I don't eat them back

I have been doing this for about 2 months and lost 5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is very frustrating! I am thinking about having my thyroid checked to see if there is a problem there
    I now know 2 people in person who thought they had thyroid problems due to chronic under eating. One was even getting medicated for thyroid problems. If you get it checked out I recommend telling the doctor what you have been doing to yourself. It's also not recommended for those with thyroid problems to be on such high calorie restrictions as it represses the metabolism even more.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Female
    5 foot 5 inches
    CW- 72kg (158lb)
    GW- 60-63kg (132-140lb)
    Typically eat around 1900ish (1700-2300, but average around 1900)

I use my FitBit and HRM to track my approximate TDEE (everything is an approximation). Usually my TDEE according to those is 2500-2700 with occasional "bad" days at 2300. It's between 2400-2500 according to online calculators so I just eat within my comfort zone and try to meet my macros (although I sometimes struggle with fat, which seems odd, but I forget until dinner time and then there are only so many spoonfuls of oil you can add before things taste greasy).

I lift weights 3x a week, I usually run 3x a week and do yoga once a week. I also go for a brisk walk (30-60 minutes) at least 5x a week and spend a large portion of my day running up and down stairs in my office. I'm pretty active,

Yeah, so I eat three good meals every day and have 2-3 snacks most days (morning, pre- and post-workout) and I eat ice cream MORE often than I did when I was unsuccessfully attempting to lose weight.

I'm losing around 1-1.5lb a week and I feel better than I have in years.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age - 35
    Height - 5'6
    Current weight (if you feel comfortable) - 161
    Goal weight - 150
    Number of calories you eat - 1500
    Number of calories you NET - 1200, sometimes less
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back - 350-500, more some days. I never eat them back.

I've hit a bit of a plateau at the moment so I think I may actually have to go against everything I thought I knew about weight loss and start eating more calories!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think your eating too LITTLE! You should be netting more than 1,000-1,200.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Current weight (if you feel comfortable) -107
    Goal weight - 90
    Number of calories you eat - 800
    Number of calories you NET - this confuses me so I can't say
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back - 300 and I don't eat them back
    You are netting 500 calories a day fyi. In comparison, my sisters baby eats more then you, and you are netting less then 1/2 the amount most any website will recommend as a minimum...and if you ask me only special cases should go near the thought of minimums.

I figured it this way: My BMR is 1200. You have to have a daily deficit of 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week. 1200 - 500 = 800. If I eat 1200 a day I'll only end up gaining and I've worked too hard to get where I am today. I'm afraid to eat too many calories.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back - 300 and I don't eat them back
    You are netting 500 calories a day fyi. In comparison, my sisters baby eats more then you, and you are netting less then 1/2 the amount most any website will recommend as a minimum...and if you ask me only special cases should go near the thought of minimums.

I figured it this way: My BMR is 1200. You have to have a daily deficit of 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week. 1200 - 500 = 800. If I eat 1200 a day I'll only end up gaining and I've worked too hard to get where I am today. I'm afraid to eat too many calories.
    Dear, you are grossly misinformed. your BMR is not what you burn during the day. I suggest you do some light reading. My BMR is about 1300. I eat 2100 calories a day and lose. Figure that one out.

And for those who don't know you burn your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) during the day, part of which includes BMR.

TDEE = BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF <-if you do not know what those terms are I suggest you google.

To maintain you would have to eat your TDEE. You're probably eating 1/4th of it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Female
    Height: 5'8"
    Current weight; 133-136 on any given day
    Goal weight: 135
    Number of calories you eat: 1950
    Number of calories you NET: Always above 1400 (my BMR)
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back: Burn anywhere from 200-500+, depending on the workout. I don't eat cals back unless my net is below BMR, which is rare these days.

This is how I've been eating since I hit goal weight last month. Before that, for about a year, I was eating a 20% cut from my TDEE, which was about 1800, to lose the last 10lbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90

You don't take your deficit off your BMR, you take it off your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is your BMR plus your normal daily activity plus your exercise. You're eating far, far too little.

With so few pounds to your goal weight, you should only be eating to lose .5 pounds a week, anyway. 250 calories below your tdee, or maybe 10% below since your so tiny already.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90

You don't take your deficit off your BMR, you take it off your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is your BMR plus your normal daily activity plus your exercise. You're eating far, far too little.

With so few pounds to your goal weight, you should only be eating to lose .5 pounds a week, anyway. 250 calories below your tdee, or maybe 10% below since your so tiny already.

You've no idea how petrified I am to eat more a day. I know it's not normal.

I was eating about 400 a day but did end up malnourished and in the hospital for 14 days with an NG tube pumping 24/7. I upped my calories and joined a gym after I got home. This way I think I'll be okay and avoid having to return to the hospital. I really don't understand myself sometimes.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90

^This. The RDI (made by the FDA and Health Canada) is the daily intake level of a nutrient that is considered to be sufficient to meet the requirements of 97–98% of healthy individuals. On average, a healthy women needs about 2000 calories to get that (men 2500). By those standards you're getting about 1/3rd of the nutrients you need. And most stuborn people will come back and say but I take a multivitamin. That doesn't matter. You need a healthy diet that will include a fair amount of healthy fat to digest those fat soluble nutrients. Otherwise you're not absorbing them.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Female
    5ft 5/6
    135-136ish
    120-126, whichever I look best and feel comfortable at.
    Depends, typically around 1500kcal
    Around 1800kcal on insanity
    I burn around 400kcals per session of Insanity and do eat some of them back yes.
  • sarahb_1990
    sarahb_1990 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I only started to do it this way in February. I was doing it the "right way" for a year and never lost a single pound so apparently something is working :)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was gonna reply until a) I saw how much you eat and b) I saw you feel you need to net under your BMR. My daily intake would scare the crap outta you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90

I was eating about 400 a day but did end up malnourished and in the hospital for 14 days with an NG tube pumping 24/7. I upped my calories and joined a gym after I got home. This way I think I'll be okay and avoid having to return to the hospital. I really don't understand myself sometimes.

Not trying to be rude here, but you should seek professional help. I assume that you had some during/after your stay in hospital?
  • PietrosMom
    Options
    Hi My stats are as follows:

Female
    5'7.5
    current weight 143.6
    goal weight 125lbs
    # of callories I eat 2000-2500 (was around 3000 a day)
    I net out this week (i'm new to this) is around 1000
    I think you are doing great. The last ten is the hardest and perhaps adding some interval training 1-2 time a week might help shed it faster. You body has muscle memory so switch it up a bit :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat more

Female
    Age 29
    Height 5'7
    Current weight (if you feel comfortable): 136
    Goal weight: same, I bulk and cut and want to end up with same weight but lees bf%
    Number of calories you eat: 2100 on a cut, 2400 to maintain, 2600 to bulk
    Number of calories you NET: I go with same amount every day. work out 3 times a week, burn 300-400/workout
    Number of calories you typically burn each day for exercise AND if you eat them back
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Male or Female - female
    Age 49
    Height - 5' 0"
    Goal weight - 90

Not trying to be rude here, but you should seek professional help. I assume that you had some during/after your stay in hospital?

I'd agree. Whilst I am afraid to increase my calories above 1500 so I can understand to some degree, you have to realise that what you're eating is far, far too little. My nearly 2 year old has just eaten about 300 calories for her breakfast! So please get some help.
  • rcadams97
    rcadams97 Posts: 106
    Options
    Male
    Height: 6'2
    Curent Weight: 225
    Goal Weight: 210
    Number of calories eaten: 1800-1900
    Net calories: 700-1300
    Calories burned: 500 - 1200
    Calories eaten back: completely depends on the day and how hungery I am, but I have never eaten them all back