increasing cal not carbs

Options
iwantwow
iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
So after not losing much weight from a 1200 cal diet i have decided to up it by 1600...so how can i increase my cal but not carbs...need suggestion.I want to get down from 192 pounds to around 172 in 2 months

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein.
  • tropicpalm
    tropicpalm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and protein.

Agreed. meats, and lots of it.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well, you can't avoid it all together unless you eat nothing but plain meat and oils, really.

It really is gonna come down to how many more carbs are you going to allow yourself while raising your calories.

Nutritiondata.com can be really helpful if you want to search for various options you are interested in to find out what's what about a particular food.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Why not more carbs? Are you diabetic? If you are happy with what you are eating now, just have bigger portions of the same.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if thats what you want then obviously your going to have to eat more fat, or more protien, or both. consider a protein suppliment if your dead set on protein only.
  • iwantwow
    Options
    well i am vegeterian..cant eat meat....
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You could eat more cheese to get fat/protein calories since your just a Vegetarian.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    well i am vegeterian..cant eat meat....

You're going to have to be willing to eat carbs. It doesn't have to be sugars. But fruit and vegetables have carbs, no way around that. So do all grains, and you can't totally do without some grains as a vegetarian.

Unless you plan to live on Tofu. If that's the case, good luck with that.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Before somebody jumps on me, yes you can live without grains as a vegetarian. Just watch those nutrients carefully.
  • round10
    round10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    eat mainly proteins and good fats including veg and snack on fruit. take a look at my diary its working for me so far. i use saturdays as my cheat carb day where i eat anything and back on it as of sunday.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cook everything in peanut oil. It's awesome.

Avacadoes are going to give you lots of calories, with good fats and make you feel good.

Mims are good, if you don't count eggs as meat.

Also, coconut and almond flour, and milled flax, just google some of the recipes that can be made from those. Also awesome. I do a lot with flax, its all fiber so it helps you feel fuller and more satisfied.
  • iwantwow
    Options
    ya i eat whole grains and try to snack on pistachios,string cheese and fruits mainly.....can i really increase cheese amount because some people say its not good for weight loss .....
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of carbs. Don't know why everyone is so afraid of them.

Most vegetarian sources of protein have carbs. Eat eggs, dairy in all its forms, beans, nuts, legumes, what have you. I'm sure you'll find a thousand results if you google "vegetarian sources of protein" or "low-carb vegetarian foods."

Replace your grains with protein-heavier ones, first by switching to whole grain, then by examining your options - I know some kinds of rice are better than others. Quinoa is high in protein. There are definitely some breads that are better for protein than others as well.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ya i eat whole grains and try to snack on pistachios,string cheese and fruits mainly.....can i really increase cheese amount because some people say its not good for weight loss .....

Look. Your original post was asking how to not increase carbs. Now you're worrying about a food that is protein and fat. You can't be afraid of every food.

Log everything. Make sure you are first getting all your protein. Then worry about getting ENOUGH fat. Then what's left can be carbs.

Cheese is a great food. It won't hurt your weight loss as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

My macros are set to 45% Fats, 25% Protein, and 30% Carbs. I have been maintaining my weight just fine on that. Don't freak out about cheese. Especially string cheese. It's super low fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just eat a balance. I'm always way below on carbs, close on fat and over on protein.
  • iwantwow
    Options
    can i have whole milk....
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    can i have whole milk....

Unless you are lactose intolerant.

There are no magic foods you must eat or avoid eating (unless you have an allergy to that specific food or some other medical reason).

Don't over think this. It isn't rocket science.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Not sure how eating more would work if eating 1200 wasn't working, re-examine the foods you were eating.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of carbs. Don't know why everyone is so afraid of them.

Most vegetarian sources of protein have carbs. Eat eggs, dairy in all its forms, beans, nuts, legumes, what have you. I'm sure you'll find a thousand results if you google "vegetarian sources of protein" or "low-carb vegetarian foods."

Replace your grains with protein-heavier ones, first by switching to whole grain, then by examining your options - I know some kinds of rice are better than others. Quinoa is high in protein. There are definitely some breads that are better for protein than others as well.

Everyone's body is unique. People who are "afraid" of carbs like myself just don't function as well unless on lower carb. diet. I only eat brown rice, quinoa or millet and I still need to limit it. However, I also do not do well with none. I have tried that also.