Daughter with Alphabetaphobia and Won't Eat

Options

Replies

• erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Buy foods labeled in non-Latin scripts: Russian, Greek, Hebrew, Korean, etc. If she's bright, you should be able to stay one alphabet ahead of her for years. If she isn't, you're set until she leaves the house.

great suggestion
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes - it is time to get creative ... I would make simple desserts like pudding and decorate it - It would become"Bats in the Belfry, or Pigs in Space. Get rid of all labels and make up your own!
    i love this idea as well.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Prepare whatever you like and just tell her that there's a silent Q at the beginning each of the foods. English is a strange language.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Nuckle Sandwich? :laugh: (yes, I am aware that's not how "knuckle" is spelled...). I have a niece with that issue as well....good luck to you. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a 5-year old daughter who has a very unusual problem with food - she hates everything that starts with the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, R, S, and T. Because of this "alphabetaphobia," she resists any food beginning with any of those letters. That basically leaves only foods starting with N, Q, and U through Z. What can I do to get her to eat foods from this list?

Um, what else is going on with her that she has this letter fetish. Have you spoken to her GP? Have you spoken to a dietitian? Does she need more attention? More discipline? Less discipline? Any major changes in her life? New friends who are influencing her with some of their weirdness (my daughter is also five and the *kitten* that she brings home from school defies logic - to get her out of strange thinking is like unravelling a huge ball of yarn - somewhere in there is the truth but it is wrapped round and round inside all this fluff).

Vitamins would be in her letters - and then get her to pick stuff based on what works for her. Maybe an illustration would work - like each meal that you plan together has to have one of the four food groups in it. Do some internet searches together. Maybe if she has more of the responsibility for taking care of her needs she'll see how limiting her issue is making things and get bored of it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Coffee enema cleanse...it's really the only way. And since she won't be "eating" anything, it should work.

Nope, coffee starts with C and is on the No No list!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    zebra surpised no one mentioned this lean source of protein
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your daughters condition. Given the rather overwhelming list of food items she fears, I would recommend you have her create an MFP account and post in the forums. She'll fit right in.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with re-naming things. As children, my siblings and I detested ham, beef, etc. but were totally game to eat any meat described as chicken (whether or not it tasted like or bore any resemblance to chicken). This was an effective strategy for longer than I care to admit.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Prepare whatever you like and just tell her that there's a silent Q at the beginning each of the foods. English is a strange language.

Oh I love a good quomelette...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Huh??? Are you the parent??? Its food eat it or starve.... Trust me she will
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WOW - My house - my son - he wouldn't have ate!! Deal with it - get hungry, he'll eat!! Giving in can create HUGE issues later!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just feed her foods she is unfamiliar with and make up a name that starts with one of the approved letters.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wookie

UBnscgo.jpg
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a 5-year old daughter who has a very unusual problem with food - she hates everything that starts with the letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, R, S, and T. Because of this "alphabetaphobia," she resists any food beginning with any of those letters. That basically leaves only foods starting with N, Q, and U through Z. What can I do to get her to eat foods from this list?

Um, what else is going on with her that she has this letter fetish....

^^^^This is there anything else going on? My son used to refuse to eat food that wasn't separated from other foods (separate plates) unless it was all the same colour. He'd have phases where he'd only eat certain colours and he would only eat foods that were either really bland (plain white rice) or incredibly salty or sugary. He also had times where he wouldn't eat something because of the letter it started with. His is all attributed to Autism (particularly sensory issues and obsessions). So if you haven't already perhaps it's worth finding out if there's anything else going on with your daughter.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    zebra surpised no one mentioned this lean source of protein

Page 1 :smile:
    Teach her to stalk Zebra in the wild, bringing them down with only her teeth.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Teach her to make QUICHE. Put in all the things.

I was going to suggest something like this, just put a whole bunch of stuff in a casserole and tell her it is vegetable pie, or you can just call everything questionable surprise.
  • irishscootz
    Options
    Zebra-Steak.jpg
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Give foods different names. I'd grind vegetables in ground beef and make meatloaf and call it Nettlecake or something like that..that way she gets her veggies.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Your daughter needs to see a Dr. about her problem. As parents we try to help them and sometimes they need to talk to someone with more skill than us. This includes people who are qualified to give you advice.