Gym while hurt?

Options
I fell on the ice while trying to get in my car, caught my leg on the bottom of the car (it wouldn't stop bleeding! I went through three bandaids at work!) and cracked my knee on the ice. Of course I was wearing shorts...I was going to go to the gym. But my knee made this nice crack/pop sound when I hit it. I must have hit it right on...The cuts and bruising are in a perfect circle.

So is it ok for me to go to the gym?? I usually do walking/running intervals on the treadmill. My knee is REALLY sore...should I wait before going again? If I should, is there anything I can do that won't involve my leg??

Replies

• hmrsimpsonzealot
    Options
    I fell on the ice while trying to get in my car, caught my leg on the bottom of the car (it wouldn't stop bleeding! I went through three bandaids at work!) and cracked my knee on the ice. Of course I was wearing shorts...I was going to go to the gym. But my knee made this nice crack/pop sound when I hit it. I must have hit it right on...The cuts and bruising are in a perfect circle.

So is it ok for me to go to the gym?? I usually do walking/running intervals on the treadmill. My knee is REALLY sore...should I wait before going again? If I should, is there anything I can do that won't involve my leg??
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Weights, core work, yoga (modified), rowing machine (using mostly the other leg). If your knee can handle it, cycling or walking. Here's an article on exercise to help knees:
    http://www.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=613126

I would not run until your knee is better.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not putting any pressure on your knee if you must go to the gym, but first determine how badly you're hurt. Put some ice in it to get the swelling down if it's swollen, ice no more than 20 minutes. If there's any sharp pain, don't go to the gym, and make sure you go to the doctor to get it checked out. Knees are fragile and they have to last you a lifetime.
  • Melobs
    Melobs Posts: 12
    Options
    I work at an Orthopedic clinic in the physical therapy department. I heard one of the therapists saying a big mistake people make when injured is to quit doing all workouts. You can strengthen upper body. Maybe some physioball exercises, etc.

Make sure to ice your knee for at least 15 min intervals. If you still have creaking and cracking noises I would suggest getting it checked out. It will stay swollen more than likely for several days due to it being one of your joints. Also a compression stocking may help.

Hope it is okay!