Getting hungrier as I get fitter

Options
hey guys, I've been doing Insanity and following the nutrition plan as much as possible. I lost 8.5lbs in the first two weeks and I am on the last day of the third.

I've noticed that as my fitness level increased, so did my appetite. This has only happened this week and it's driving me crazy!

Is this normal? is my body telling me I need to eat more?

Replies

• chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal weight, and your body's ideal weight, you can (and should) start eating more. If your body is telling you that you are hungry, chances are it is time to up your calorie amount.

Remember, you won't eat at a deficit your entire life, so you will end up eating more as you get closer to the end of your weight loss journey.

Also your needs change as your fitness level changes, but I'm assuming you already knew that :)
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for getting back. I'm currently eating at 1700 calories, I'm 205lbs and I want to get to 154lbs, I don't think I'm that close to be honest that's why I'm a little concerned. Should I up them anyway?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for getting back. I'm currently eating at 1700 calories, I'm 205lbs and I want to get to 154lbs, I don't think I'm that close to be honest that's why I'm a little concerned. Should I up them anyway?

Do you net 1700?
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    also, as your lean muscle mass increases, so does your metabolism. Muscle burns more calories resting than fat. :happy:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You need to do the math. Figure your BMR and TDEE. Make sure you NET more than BMR. Example: if BMR=1800 and TDEE is 2400. You would normally eat @1900. Now if you burn 500 exercising that moves your NET to 1400. In this example, you would need to eat back those 500, or at the very least, 400 to get back to BMR.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Insanity requires a huge energy expenditure, so it follows quite intuitively that you would have a bigger appetite. Check yourself against a TDEE calculator (i like this one http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html), and change up calories as appropriate.
  • Yasmine91
    Options
    No, a lot of the time I net between 1200 - 1400. But now I feel like eating my excersise calories. I'm always hungry these days :P
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on your BMR and TDEE.

Here are a couple links that can help you out if you don't know what those are

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^This will lay it all out for you

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

^^This will calculate the amount you should eat.

Since you still have a little ways until you reach your goal, you should be fine eating TDEE-20%

That information should help you out a ton! But if you have any other questions you are welcome to PM me :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on that time of the month too. I'm always hungrier around ovulation.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on your BMR and TDEE.

Here are a couple links that can help you out if you don't know what those are

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

^^This will lay it all out for you

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

^^This will calculate the amount you should eat.

Since you still have a little ways until you reach your goal, you should be fine eating TDEE-20%

That information should help you out a ton! But if you have any other questions you are welcome to PM me :)

^^ This!

You probably are hungry. I used scoobys workshop to figure out what I should be eating. I'm doing insanity also and I weigh less then you and I eat more calories. Do some research, its really hard to stick to something if you hungry all the time.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    No, a lot of the time I net between 1200 - 1400. But now I feel like eating my excersise calories. I'm always hungry these days :P

This is why you are hungry. Eat more. But not diet low cal crap, eat real food, good protein and good fats. Oh and drink as much as you can. Your doing high intensity cardio, you need to feed your body more probably.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep as before hunger doesn't always mean your body is craving calories. I don't know the specifics on how it works, but my trainer explained to me that after a good workout you should consume some protein right away. The sooner the better as impact on muscle recovery is best in first 15 minutes but still good if within an hour of workout. If your body is sending you signals to eat because it is low on protein (or some other nutrient), you need to give your body that. Many use a quick post-workout protein bar or shake. Use your tracking to make sure you are getting close to the recommended amount of carbs and protein and healthy fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

12-1400 isn't much given how hardcore inanity is! Eat the exercise calories! They taste the best!
  • Yasmine91
    Options
    Depends on that time of the month too. I'm always hungrier around ovulation.

I've had the contreseptive implant put in and it has stopped my period so it definitely couldn't be that lol
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Congrats on your results thus far. When I started training a few years ago, I told my trainer I was hunger all the time now and he said it means my metabolism is finally working as it should.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little which you can only sustain for so long. Eat more and you'll be fine :)
  • RunningMannn
    Options

Eat more...No reason to be hungry all day..
  • samfuturefit
    Options
    Please check out this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I have been eating 1200 calories a day and getting hungrier as well. I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme (weightlifting and cardio) and felt drained most days out of hunger. The thread I attached is a very thorough explanation of how much your body needs and how to calculate your own personalized caloric needs to lose weight or maintain. It changed everything for me! I was eating 1200 and learned I could be eating up to 1900 a day to fuel my body.