How do you deal with DOMS?

fiendiish
fiendiish Posts: 186
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I get AWFUL DOMS after my leg workouts. Well, I get DOMS after every strength training session but the legs are horrid. Every time it is to the point where it hurts really bad to walk up and down the stairs in my house. I'm also cautious to sit too long because getting up is HORRIBLE. After moving around a bit...their still sore...but ok. It lasts about 2 days..normal....so I know I'm not injuring myself. I guess I'm just asking if anyone has any tips or tricks to relieve or lesson the pain. I've tried Motrin...doesn't help much. Hot baths help for a little while. Ugh! This does get easier right?

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    How long have you been doing this workout? When I started circuit training 5 weeks ago the first two weeks were ridiculous! I would wake up hours earlier than was normal and not be able to get back to sleep because of this discomfort. It passed. My body got used to the routine and now the muscle soreness is usually gone within 30 mins of my workouts.
  • Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate. 20min after your work out try eating a bannana the nutrients in the bannana will help relieve some of the pain and as always drink plenty of water before during and after.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Add Epsom salt to the bath water - some come in fragrant relaxing aromas :)

My knees and legs used to ach after a 12 hour shift at work and the next day after a run, but ever since I lost 10 lbs I don't have any more pain....even if I run on asphalt (sp?).
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Stretching really well AFTER the workout helps me. And when I get DOMS, I find that gentle stretching after a short warmup relieves the pain for me.

Also, I find when I do cardio (on an AMT machine, a type of elliptical) it gets the blood moving and helps with the soreness.

I usually only get pain when starting a new workout routine, after the first couple of sessions I find my muscles have adapted more.
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/
    sports_body_training_performance/soft_tissue_work_for_tough_guys

I do that before i leave for the gym on the appropriate body parts and 10 mins before bed every night I do my whole body and stretch. I also do alternating 1 min hot/ 1 min cold showers after the workout if I have done something I know I am going to pay for.
This discussion has been closed.