Rowing Machines

Options
My husband and I got a rowing machine about 2 months ago. I found one workout schedule online for beginners, its working pretty good but it lasts for only 20 minutes. I was wanting to extend my workout to 30. Does anyone have any workout schedule suggestions? My current one is:

3 min - 3 resistance
3 min - 4-5 resistance
2 min - 6 resistance
1 min - 7 resistance
do stretches then 1 min - 3-5 resistance
4 min - 6 resistance
3 min - 7 resistance
1 min - 8 resistance
2 min - 3 resistance
do stretches

Like I mentioned, I would like to extend it another 10 minutes but am not sure how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    trying adding a minute on to each of those

make sure you are using proper form to get all the awesome benefits of rowing (lots of people at the gym slide around randomly while yanking on the handle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI
  • Onmyway21
    Onmyway21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new machine! Google "indoor rowing workout" and you'll find a bunch of options. Row on!!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks guys! :)
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    If you look on the concept 2 rowing machine website, they have lots of different training plans for all sorts of people, as well as other information, including form. There is also info about Row Pro, where you can race against other people in the comfort of your own home!!
  • sindikumva
    Options
    So good to hear someone ask about this. An important note from a rower... by "resistance" you are actually moderating the drag factor. This is really not the way to get a good workout in rowing. You would be much better off to leave the drag factor at a constant level (for most women and most machines this is between 4 and 5 on the fly wheel) and then to change stroke rate (i.e. how fast you are going up and down the slide) and power (i.e. speed as measured on the rowing machine in time per 500 m).
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I'm looking for any help I can get! :)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    arc918 wrote: »
    trying adding a minute on to each of those

make sure you are using proper form to get all the awesome benefits of rowing (lots of people at the gym slide around randomly while yanking on the handle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

excellent videos of correct form.
    valuable asset.
    thanks for taking time to post them all.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    sindikumva wrote: »
    So good to hear someone ask about this. An important note from a rower... by "resistance" you are actually moderating the drag factor. This is really not the way to get a good workout in rowing. You would be much better off to leave the drag factor at a constant level (for most women and most machines this is between 4 and 5 on the fly wheel) and then to change stroke rate (i.e. how fast you are going up and down the slide) and power (i.e. speed as measured on the rowing machine in time per 500 m).

Yes, please be careful changing the resistance.

I thought I would get the best workout I could by setting the resistance to 10 on the Concept 2. I would up injuring myself by tearing my lats.

Now I keep the resistance to 4, which is supposed to be "water equivalent", and this seems to work out fine.