Do you use a list when you grocery shop?

Options

Replies

• melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Most definately!! I have to. I plan out my meals for the next week and make a list of everything I need. I still pick a couple extra things up sometimes but usually I pretty much stick to my list
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I always get the same stuff and dump spontaneous misc crap in the cart for fun.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do and I only get what's on the list which is only the loss leaders in the weekly sales ads. Lure me in but I'm not falling for them figuring I'm going to buy the other expensive stuff in the store.

I go to wal mart for everything else and I still stick to my list.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I write a list for the staples I definitely need, and for any specific recipes. But sometimes I write generic things like "fish" and choose whatever healthy fish or shrimp is on sale.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You want anal-retentive? I got it covered.

For all the meals I cook, I have the necessary ingredients written on 3x5 cards.

Before I go to the store, I pick out what meals I want to eat that week. I then write down all the ingredients from each card onto my shopping list.which is grouped and sorted by which department of the store the item is in.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i have a grocery book....i have my meal plans in there...and then my resultant shopping list. After the shopping trip I note in the margins the cost of things so I can budget for next time.

It's incredibly OCD but I like it....and it 's fun....in the sense that my daughter has gotten into it and likes to check the meal plan and the list and keep track of things...

so yeah I do
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Yup! I actually use a grocery list app on the phone so no paper.
    didja ever leave your phone next to the apples?
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I usually make a flexible 'mini' list. I grocery shop pretty much every day, so I never need to buy much at once.. Here's an example of my mini-list.
    Bananas or some other kind of fruit
    Lettuce or another leafy green
    Carrots
    Onions
    Garlic
    Nuts, nut butter, nut milks, or trail mix
    Non-fat greek yogurt (infrequently)
  • RobinsonDawn
    RobinsonDawn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do it online, much cheaper and I dont get distracted by the chocolate isle etc haha :)
    I pay roughly 50 pounds a week on food for 2 adults and 1 child :)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yup. Grocery IQ app! If I didn't have a list, I would buy everything but what I went in for because I'd forget about it! LOL The phone app makes it great for my husband and I to have a common list so, no matter who stops at the store, we know what to get!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yes I use a list, and I also do it on my phone, then I can delete as I make my way through the store, and I can add something to it anywhere.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If I go in the shop I always just shop around the outside. This is where all the fresh stuff is. Veg, fruit, milk and meat. Dot even bother with the other aisles

Or

Online shopping. Structured so I spend less and also have the opportunity to price compare against other super markets
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I won't walk into a grocery store without a list. I make a detailed list of everything I need and how many (like 5 bananas, 4 oranges, 3 apples, 2 cans of tuna, etc.). If I didn't have a list I wouldn't know what I have on hand or what I'm out of and would buy the things I don't need more often that things I do need. If I have coupons I also write that on my list so I don't forget to use them.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. As a family, we sit down on Saturday evening or Sunday morning to plan our meals for the coming week. (I even print our menu out and post it on the fridge with a great big "DEAL WITH IT"!) We write it ALL down, and stick to the list. It keeps junk food out of the pantry, and the kids know what they can snack on. If something disappears before the end of the week, too bad. It also helps us keep to our financial budget!

Right there with you!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I detest grocery shopping so yes, I write scribble a list during the week. Just before I go I rewrite it so it's legible and I list everything in order to aisle. I don't want to spend a SECOND in there longer than I have to or walk back and forth looking for stuff.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Back of an old envelope!!!
    Sectioned as; perishable; fridge/freezer; fruit & veg; household items; wine.

Works for me, although a few other items sneak in.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yes...but 99.9% of the time I leave it at home. :indifferent:
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I always use a list. Otherwise, I inevitably forget one thing that we're out of and end up having to make another trip back to the store. It's always something like eggs or olive oil that I really don't want to be without for a few days.

I also use the back of an old envelope, which is doubly helpful since I tend to have a few coupons with me.
  • LYNN8SUPERSTAR
    Options
    I always use a grocery list!
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yup! I actually use a grocery list app on the phone so no paper.

This