Why I don't care for treadmill

Options

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! I hate treadmills but full respect to anyone diligent enough to run on one when they don't have other options. I'd probably just quit running.

I use a gym here in Tokyo that's in the centre of a big park. The park has a running/walking/biking track around it. They have the treadmills in the gym set up facing the window so people on the treadmills stare at people going past on the track. I always wonder why they don't think "hey I should just run outside" and leave.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    From a few weeks ago...

At the toppermost of the hill on the trails, and at the bottom of the hill. The elevation change was like changing seasons!

PhotoGrid_1361371136581_zpsbdaea3ae.jpg

Another day, so much mud! :happy:

PhotoGrid_1362065319159_zpse995ef1f.jpg

And a different trail, but with the dog so no running. Three inch Pekingese legs can't go very fast.

PhotoGrid_1362514768981_zpsb1f3b541.jpg
  • TobJuice
    TobJuice Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow ...absolutely beautiful place to run, wish I had that. Right now where I am there is tons of snow and it is minus 30 rite now....brrr
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather run outside. Treadmills feel like torture! Last Sunday morning I was running and a sparrow was following me singing. It was awesome!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Wow ...absolutely beautiful place to run, wish I had that. Right now where I am there is tons of snow and it is minus 30 rite now....brrr
    I hear you. This was me a few weeks ago in my bfs driveway after a walk around the neighborhood:
    282891_10152435795295607_1491515224_a.jpg

We couldn't get the snowblower out and the plow refused so we had to hire a scoop to truck the snow away.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i loathe indoor gym equipment...always have. i prefer running outside as well. just waiting for this damn winter to go away!
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Me either but I do the dreadmill if its raining... I have found if I'm outside and go until I get tired.. there is no other way to get home but turn around and huff it back home... much to easy to turn of the treadmill and go back upstairs when I tire.
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    love it@ great thread
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @ Codergal - I am in love with NFLD. I was there in September and ran Signal Hill - amazing. I had a avatar photo from there but I must have deleted it.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    @ Codergal - I am in love with NFLD. I was there in September and ran Signal Hill - amazing. I had a avatar photo from there but I must have deleted it.

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. If you ever come back I highly recommend completing the east coast trail, and take me with you! Lots of beautiful scenery and even castles to see along the way :) There are many of them much longer then signal hill. This one was taken when I was hiking "Cobblers Path". We ended at the top left of the photo by the round spaceship looking building :)
    IMG_20120814_153747.jpg

This summer I plan on doing the spout. There's a geyser I haven't seen about half way through (9km in).
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    34325300_7059.jpg

I just have this pallet of Thin Mints to look at when I run...
  • annmaryjenkins
    Options
    Love it.. I can't stand treadmills.. I like distance.... and in treadmills I feel like a dog chasing my tail..lol
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    @ on some ice or twist an ankle on a rock. I can appreciate nature but I've heard too many running stories involving wild animals for me to deem that it's not worth it.

@ that and walked back to my car.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would be running outside if we got that adorable little amount of snow you got.... unfortunately I can't run through 2 feet of snow and ice so I'm totally jealous over here just waiting to be able to get outside and off my *&^$ treadmill :)
    That is all
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. If you ever come back I highly recommend completing the east coast trail, and take me with you! Lots of beautiful scenery and even castles to see along the way :) There are many of them much longer then signal hill. This one was taken when I was hiking "Cobblers Path". We ended at the top left of the photo by the round spaceship looking building :)
    IMG_20120814_153747.jpg

This summer I plan on doing the spout. There's a geyser I haven't seen about half way through (9km in).

Oh I am definitely coming back. We talked about it for this summer, but we decided to go to watch the Mt Tremblant Ironman instead. We have a few friends competing and a bunch are going up to watch. It is definitely on our to-do soon list.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My moose was tired after today's walk this morning, so he had to go rest. :)

Tired_Moose_zps77c9a1d2.jpg
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I ran outside every weekend morning, except three this winter - in Minnesota! LOVE IT!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    LOLs at JUDDDing thin mints comment
    @ on some ice or twist an ankle on a rock. I can appreciate nature but I've heard too many running stories involving wild animals for me to deem that it's not worth it.

@ that and walked back to my car.

During one of my hikes with a friend about 8km in he looks at me and says "Did you tell anyone you were out here?" I was like no...did you? Why? He said "No. I was just wondering how long it'll take someone to find us if we run into any bears" lol.

The neatest one I've done was the field with all the bees and butterflies...First I thought the butterflies were flowers.
    IMG_20120824_115047.jpg
    There were bees EVERYWHERE. I was wearing sandals, shorts, and a tank top. I turned to him while brushing bees out of the tall grass I was walking on and said "Have any anti-inflammatories in those pockets". "Nope! Do you?" "Note to self, wear bee suit next time"
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've never actually been ON a treadmill, but I am blessed with mild California winters.

This one was taken yesterday -

8560094465_e3d65722bb_n.jpg

Cute little newborn foals -
    8561203124_76a839ba67_n.jpg

And newborn calves -
    8561217968_003021e272_n.jpg

I'm in the middle of a city, but the college is an ag school, so lots of farmland smack in the middle of town - makes for decent running. :)
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    looks great but id be the one on the inside running on the treadmill only because theres too many weirdos out ans about these days.