Is It Possible To Lose 60+ Pounds In 3 Months?

I think the title says it all mostly, is it possible to lose 60 plus pounds in 3 months without harming your body?

Replies

• SheHulkExtrodinaire
    SheHulkExtrodinaire Posts: 14 Member
    It is possible, It depends how much excess fat you have to lose and you will probably lose muscle mass as well as fat if you lose that quickly. Also it will be very difficult to maintain such rapid weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is the recommended rate of loss, and I know that seems so very slow. I would say 60 pounds in 6 months might be a more realistic goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Liposuction and amputation are the best bets.

A few very lucky people have achieved such goals, but it isn't normal, even for the morbidly obese. Not even most of the Biggest Loser contestants can do it with all of the support and experts they have surrounding them.

Slow down, be patient, eat healthy, move your body.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    It's possible but risky. If 60 pounds is all there is to lose, then even more risky. You would essentially be fasting. The real problem is you would likely gain it back.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    I think the title says it all mostly, is it possible to lose 60 plus pounds in 3 months without harming your body?

unless you have much more to lose, then no. There are unhealthy ways to do it, but the weight will come back.
    Much better is taking a slow and steady approach. 1lb a week is a good goal. If you have over 100+ lbs to lose, maybe 2lbs a week. Much more than that and you will probably make unsustainable changes.

Good luck!
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Losing 60 lbs in 90 days would require 0.66 lb loss each day

With 1 lb being 3500 cals, you would need a constant daily deficit of 2333 cals.

If you were going for your TDEE - 30% then it would need to currently be 7800 cals for this to be safe.

:|

Depending on your current weight, 2 lbs per week could be fine so your looking at 30 weeks or ~ 7 months.

However based on 1lb a week its best to look at a year as the timeframe for losing this weight.
  • I too have started to do this. I started my journey this morning. My strategy is to consume 1400 calories a day. Drink a gallon of water. Power walk 6 days a week. I don’t know if this is enough to meet my goal. But I will try.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Unless somebody were morbidly obese, no, it isn't possible.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    No.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    It took me almost a year to lose 60lb :noway:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Losing 60 lbs in 90 days would require 0.66 lb loss each day

With 1 lb being 3500 cals, you would need a constant daily deficit of 2333 cals.

If you were going for your TDEE - 30% then it would need to currently be 7800 cals for this to be safe.

:|

Depending on your current weight, 2 lbs per week could be fine so your looking at 30 weeks or ~ 7 months.

However based on 1lb a week its best to look at a year as the timeframe for losing this weight.

Awesome job doing the math! I calculate that a 7800 TDEE would require burning 350 calories per hour... for 24 hours per day.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Absolutely unnecessary. A life does not end in three months!
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    I did.

I exercised twice daily every day, once for 1 hour minimum either Hill walking or speed walking on the treadmill and once for 40 mins speed walking on the treadmill.

I also never ate more than 1500 calories per day. No alcohol, no sugar and no processed food.

I ate mainly oatmeal made with water, some fruit, lots of fresh green leafy veg, freshly juiced vegetable smoothies, fresh white fish, chicken breast and very lean minced beef. Very little dairy apart from skimmed milk in coffee and some low fat yoghurt in some cooking.

It can be done but it needs dedication and single mindedness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    Anything is possible. But that's 4.66 lbs a week. If you were almost 380lbs-500lbs it would be safe. Under that would be pushing it.
    Strive to lose 1% of your bodyweight a week. Losing too quickly won't teach you or your body anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    I wonder, if a body can lose weight faster than it gains once you commit, why rushing? Why not let a change in eating habits and a healthy life do the job instead of a quick fix?
    If a person exercises and starts eating in moderation according to his/her weight will lose weight and even will lose his/her love handles. If not, your body will not adapt to the change unless you exercise heavily... My take..
    If you are 25,30,40,50 or 60 years of age, one month or two to solve the problems related to obesity is nothing! On the other hand, the move to the healthier lifestyle will stay with you forever!
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    I have heard that rapid weight loss puts you at risk for gallstones.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I did.

I exercised twice daily every day, once for 1 hour minimum either Hill walking or speed walking on the treadmill and once for 40 mins speed walking on the treadmill.

I also never ate more than 1500 calories per day. No alcohol, no sugar and no processed food.

I ate mainly oatmeal made with water, some fruit, lots of fresh green leafy veg, freshly juiced vegetable smoothies, fresh white fish, chicken breast and very lean minced beef. Very little dairy apart from skimmed milk in coffee and some low fat yoghurt in some cooking.

It can be done but it needs dedication and single mindedness.

And you also had twice as much weight to lose as she did. I am guessing it was the first 60 pounds and it is now coming off much more slowly, yes?

OP: You have 70 pounds to lose (that is total, I did notice you have already lost some, congrats!). At this point I wouldn't strive for anything over a 2 lbs loss per week. The closer you get to your goal the harder it gets. When you get close to 20-30 lbs away from your goal you should shift your loss to about 1-1.5 lbs per week, and so on and so on.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Cut and pasted from livestrong.com:

Rapid Weight Loss
    The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that though there are many factors that contribute to the formation of gallstones, one of the significant ones is obesity and rapid weight loss. Being obese causes your liver to overproduce cholesterol which then goes into the bile. This added cholesterol causes the bile to become saturated and condensed. Rapid weight loss causes the liver to produce even more cholesterol which worsens the saturation of the bile. You heighten your risk of developing gallstones when you lose more than 24 percent of your body weight or by losing more than 3.3 lbs. a week.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/365220-rapid-weight-loss-gallstone-formation/#ixzz2Nif9yhc2
  • oceanguy
    oceanguy Posts: 2 Member
    Good for you with your weight loss. Nice job ! You are 100% correct it can be done in a healthy manner. I am on my way to trying to lose 60 pounds myself. I started exactly 1 month ago and I have lost 23 pounds. My fitnesspal has helped me tremendously with watching what I eat with regards to calories, carbs, fat, sodium, sugar, and protein intake. I allow myself 1620 calories daily. I walk very briskly for one hour a day or run for 50 minutes a day, five days a week. The whole key to losing weight is watching what and how much you put in your mouth and exercise. I eat 5 to 6 small meals per day to keep my metabolism steady. Believe me, I am nowhere close to fasting. I'm just not eating fried foods and deserts anymore. Bottom line is everyone is different and there is no way to answer yes or no to losing 60lbs in 3 months. Everyone just has to remember that eating right and exercising can't just be a phase, it's gotta be a lifelong commitment. Stick to that and you'll be ok.
  • oceanguy
    oceanguy Posts: 2 Member
    I forgot to say that I started my journey to lose 60 lbs at a weight of 261
  • I have been on a Journey to find the best way to lose the excessive fat ever since the birth of my second child.

how to lose 60 pounds

There was some very good info that showed that obesity is an inflammatory disease and that a natural diet can reverse this and cause very fast weight loss in a healthy way

Here

http://desperateloseweight.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-to-lose-60-pounds-fast.html