Protein bar instead of a cookie

Options
When you are faced with the temptation of baked goods (especially in the workplace), do you resist the temptation and substitute or distract yourself, or do you at times give in?

I ate a 180 calorie Special K protein bar instead of a 130 calorie cookie. Was this a victory or a fail?

Replies

• EmmyLoop
    EmmyLoop Posts: 14
    Options
    Dear Cidezines,

It's like, do those people stay under a rock? Maybe they're reincarnated Flintstones. What the hell?!
    Whatever the hell, it is my theory those people just have nothing going on. Nurses are thee worst, ironically.
    I would bet quite a few of your coworkers would empathize with you, dear. You are not alone.
    Oh and tell your old man to keep HIS cookies and crap elsewhere. The back of his pick-up, I don't care. Seriously. :)
    On the other hand, C, I never eat anything K, special or un-special. The ingredients are tortured
    (way way over-processed), and the "nutritional content" is literally spray-on vitamins.
    Can you get the heck out the breakroom, off your floor and out of your building during your breaks? If not, can you bring
    ultra-pasteurized skim milk to slooowly savor a cookie with? Maybe your favorite savory snack, even if it has fat and protein.
    Can you go somewhere else and eat the snack? You can find a way, girl.
    This is an opportunity for you to be outraged (not to be confused with the word enraged) that these cookie "monsters" are
    perpetuating and exploiting yours and others' weight and health vulnerabilities.
    Message me anytime,
    Emmy
  • cardiophile
    Options
    You are hilarious! I never really voice to anyone that I watch what I eat, so I would never get mad at someone to their face about sharing their sugar wealth. With my boyfriend being so lanky, I never want to make snacking inconvenient for him. (He's only 8 pounds heavier and 7 inches taller me).

I will take your advice on running out to my car instead on my breaks. I do often times have almonds and apples in there. There are those days where I won't be hungry before my shift and not think about restocking my goods (like today). Thank you for the advice. That Special K bar was pretty disappointing!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The protein bar probably filled you up longer. Good idea, IMO. Unless you're REALLY craving a cookie. Then eat the cookie, or you might end up eating both...
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Balance Bar in chocolate mint. They are spectacularly tasty-I'm talking girl scout thin mint tasty here. Processed chemicals be damned! I'm eating my freakin' cookie with protein.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    180c vs 130c of junk food

I woulda gone for the cookie. =p

Next time grab a Quest bar!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Balance Bar in chocolate mint. They are spectacularly tasty-I'm talking girl scout thin mint tasty here. Processed chemicals be damned! I'm eating my freakin' cookie with protein.

Yep. You, ma'am, have awesome taste in protein bars!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love protein bars (real protein bars, Special K is all about their "we're healthy" branding more than anything.) Yup much better than a cookie. Protein helps build and repair your muscles whereas the cookie would have have no nutritional value and been all sugar.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Part of it for me depends on what else I have eaten that day and what opportunities I have left that day. I don't mind a cookie a day, but I like an evening treat. If it's mid afternoon and I'm breaking down, then I probably won't stay on target the rest of the day unless I have a solid workout plan. A case of knowing yourself, your goals, and trying to plan your day. (And, if the cookie is warm...no contest, I eat it. LOL)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do agree though, special K is meh. Quest is better!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Divine Dark Chocolate Coconut Bar. 170 calories. Who needs a candy bar when I have that for a snack.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Yep. You, ma'am, have awesome taste in protein bars!

Why thank you. I actually had to quit eating the balance bars. But I did find another brand that tastes just as good only minus the crunch. It's still a cookie though. A tasty, tasty, cookie with the texture of a perfectly chewy brownie... crap. Now I have to go eat one. Yay cookies!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Think Thin Divine Dark Chocolate Coconut Bar. 170 calories. Who needs a candy bar when I have that for a snack.

oooo I haven't had this one yet. I'll have to try it!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

there is a chocolate chip quest bar! It's like a cookie but with protein. yyyyuuummm.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

there is a chocolate chip quest bar! It's like a cookie but with protein. yyyyuuummm.

I really want to try the new cookie dough one! Nice thing about quest bars are they are full of GOOD quality protein, and are generally very good for you.

I like balance bars flavor too, but they are basically junk food. One of the additives they use in my favorite flavor is very inflammatory and causes me all sorts of problems. :(
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Best solution: bake cookies, add protein powder to the dough. Seriously, I've done it before and I shared the cookies with my roommates and a dozen cookies disappeared in like an hour. Then you get protein and cookies :)
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think if you added in 50 calories worth of milk to dunk the cookie in then you made the wrong decision :happy:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a win or fail as long as you can work that snack into your daily calories. I usually go for something that is plain and natural, like a piece of fruit. I do get a bit worried when looking at the nutrition labels of prepackaged foods - preservatives, sweeteners, nutrients added to replace the stuff that has been refined. I figure if I go with something easy and natural - a small handful of nuts, or an apple - I can't go too wrong.

I try not to be tempted by sweets at work. Most of that stuff is made of the same few basic ingredients, white flour sweetened with corn syrup, dyed and artificially flavored to mimic the appearance of different foods. I can't help but think how boring and low in nutrition those foods are. I am starting to prefer my healthier, varied stuff from home - fuji apples, whole wheat honey bread and some homemade mini pizzas made with stone ground wheat, chicken and veggies. I can cook anything that I want with whole healthy ingredients and make them 2 x healthier than the store bought stuff. I just turned some plain greek yogurt into dark chocolate pudding - with no added sugar.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you happy and did you hit your cals/macros for the day? Then you win.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'd say its a win - you swapped something that you classified as 'junk' for something more healthy. Regardless of whether that one swap was a wash, you are training your brain to choose healthy food over junk, and that is definetely a long-term win!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options

That sounds amazing!