My Knee is Sore!

Options
So, I started extending my run (outside) from 3 miles 3x's a week to 4 miles 4x's a week. Last week I had to do a run on the treadmill then did 4 miles outside with a mile of sprints on the treadmill. I woke the next morning with a limp. No swelling just a sore knee.

Bad idea I know.

I've gone from no pain while running to trying to do a short 2 miler on Thursday (taking off since Mon due to pain) and had to stop at the .5 mark in a little pain, started back up and made it to the 1 mile mark and had to walk the 1 mile back to the YMCA.

I gave up for now. I am taking a week off and if it still hurts when I try to run at the end of next week..... I'll go see the DR.

It's soo strange though, sore but no swelling. I'm trying to "baby it" so it won't get worse.

Is this just the soreness I need to get used to as my body adjusts, or, is it right for me to rest?

I did take to the pool today and did 50 mins of slow laps at least.

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I should add that the pain is on the side that I pronate on......and yes, I have inserts in my running shoes.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Joint pain is never a good thing so you were good to cut back. I'd talk to you doc, because I had similar pain from running.

Do you stretch before you run? It could be tight hamstrings and IT band as was my problem. Some therapy and strengthening exercises fixed me up real good.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I stretch before I run yes.

I just checked out some info on IT band problems, yeah, I think that's it.

For the longest time, my right hamstring is always sore when I run and after I run a little. It's more of a nag than anything.

I have some PT I have not gone to for my foot. I wonder if I should go for that and see if they can work on my IT band stuff too?
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Truthfully, PT hasn't helped me much. Only thing that works is rest and the Celebrex Rx my doctor gave me. I ran some 5Ks at the end of last year as physical challenge, to see if I could do it. I think the next thing I will try for my IT Band is deep tissue massage, since a trainer at my club suggested it. I also do plan on buying a foam roll and will foam roll the heck out it.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers and ICE!! Taking a little reast is good, but icing it and stretching is and rolling it out will help you heal better.
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    It's possible that you overdid it. I have been having knee problems ever since they made me do PT (physical training) by running 2 miles while it was wet outside. But when you want to try new things or rev up your workout, it's easy to overdo it. I do it all the time (I learned I need to stay away from the stairmaster, I put that thing on level 16 and go to town for 30+ minutes, no bueno). I would say slowly move into running 4 miles. Maybe start at 3 times a week instead of four? And if you run outside, try not running on pavement.