This can't be good

Options
So I have been monitoring my heart rate and blood pressure for a while. And I dont think it is good.
My resting heart rate (usually walked around the store for a bit and rest five minutes before taking my measurement) is 95-110 bpm but my blood pressure is usually around 120/70.
Before you say it is because I am out of shape... Even when I was fit it was like this. Anyone have any clue if it is good or bad or average? It is kinda scary to me.

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Maybe you just have a high resting heart rate. It could be completely normal. Does anyone else in your family have the same thing? My resting heart rate and blood pressure are both low. My bp normally runs about 105/55, but it is hereditary and I feel fine. I would suggest seeing a doctor, though.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could just have a high resting heart rate. Also, it could be because you were walking and had only "rested" for five minutes. Try measuring your heart rate after lying down for 30 minutes or so and see if that makes a difference.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic website has to say about "normal" resting heart rates:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/AN01906
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    I dunno.. I guess so. I had a ton of test done when I was 15 and nothing like this came up before. It is odd. I dont like it.. Hurts to excercise cause of how hard my heart beats. I had an asthma attack about a week ago and still habe fluid in my lungs. Just went for a very short bike ride and it is killing me right now.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    They have medicines like beta blockers that lower blood pressure and reduce heart rate. I take half of one as needed. See your doc...you'll probably feel a lot better working out, plus you may be able to go off of it as you strengthen your heart and get healthier.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same thing. My resting heart beat is at 104 beats per min however my blood pressure is normal. My mum had a heart attack a couple of years ago and it makes me worry loads! I thought I would try exercise solidly for one month to see if it improves and then go from there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So I have been monitoring my heart rate and blood pressure for a while. And I dont think it is good.
    My resting heart rate (usually walked around the store for a bit and rest five minutes before taking my measurement) is 95-110 bpm but my blood pressure is usually around 120/70.
    Before you say it is because I am out of shape... Even when I was fit it was like this. Anyone have any clue if it is good or bad or average? It is kinda scary to me.

doesn't really sound like a big deal to me, but when i have a health question that's "kinda scary" i tend to seek out advice from medical professionals.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had an asthma attack about a week ago and still habe fluid in my lungs. Just went for a very short bike ride and it is killing me right now.

If you are taking asthma medication such as albuterol, it can raise your heart rate.

I so understand the problems with exercising with an elevated heart rate. It is one of the things that kept me from exercising for years (I mean decades!). Unfortunately, not exercising led me to further poor cardio health, weight gain and more problems breathing. When all this first started, I had no idea that I had asthma.

Fast forward 20 years ... was diagnosed with asthma, put on medication. The medication exacerbated my panic attacks (which causes hyperventilation, making me feel like I can't get enough air) and it turned into a vicious circle. I started to avoid exercise and stressful situations that would trigger an asthma attack, which meant that I didn't need to use the albuterol.

Again, fast forward a couple of years ...
    I mentioned to a new doctor that I desperately needed to get healthy but that I was afraid to exercise. Long story short, this doc gave me a different inhaler (Flovent) and it does not cause a rapid heartbeat. It is not an "emergency" inhaler (to open airway during an attack) but an everyday inhaler to prevent the episodes. I've used it regularly for several months and, so far, it works very well.

If I were you, I'd call your doc for an appointment. In the meantime, monitor your resting heart rate and keep a log, including the times you take your meds and what you eat. Take all the info into your doc to see if he/she can figure out if there is a trigger for your asthma, if your meds are causing the increased heart rate and if there is anything you or he/she can do to make changes for the better.
  • allikat93
    Options
    The odd thing is.. My asthma attack was only the second one I have ever had.. My parents didnt believe me when I had my first one so I never got it checked out. But I know 100% it was an asthma attack. I dont take any medication for anything. I do drink camomile tea which I read helps lower blood pressure. Dunno if that has something to do with it
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Get thee to thy doctor.

If you are concerned.. ask a professional...

Dont rely on a bunch of people who can't even agree whether women are inherently jealous or just mean.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned about that BP, 120/70 is pretty much dead set in the middle of normal. HR is a little high but some people just have a naturally high rate. What does it get up to when you're exercising? If you're concerned about it, see a doctor. We're not really that useful (including me).
  • allikat93
    Options
    Get thee to thy doctor.

If you are concerned.. ask a professional...

Dont rely on a bunch of people who can't even agree whether women are inherently jealous or just mean.

I read that thread and was laughing my butt off.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Can't it be both? ;)