How did you do it?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Options
niqua215
niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
How did some of you guys manage to lose close to 100 lbs or more? I know everyone is different and everything doesn't work for everyone but any tips you'd like to share? How did you stay motivated? Pics? Workouts?

Replies

• TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just being healthy for me, my family and my future children, i wanna grow old with my hubby I don't wanna die young
    our kids will also need a mom and a dad

workouts inspiration came from biggest loser
    im friends with many of the contestants on facebook
    they inspire me to keep it moving

cardio cardio and eating healthy
    I am working on getting back on track now
    I want to be the wife and mom that is able to run and play with her kids
    not be lazy overweight and setting bad examples for our kids

here is to being healthy long term!!

I was always in shape and healthy til I quit smoking and replaced that habit with food/junk/fast food
    gained almost 200lbs
    I quit in 2000
    by 2002 I was over 200lbs
    in 2009 when my doc said don't bother having kids til you lose weight be better for you and baby
    I was 330

I knew i had to do something

19 months i dropped over 156lbs
    gained some back
    but getting back on track now!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I would say following the MFP plan for starters. I have lost 100s in the past just eating between 1200 and 1400 calories until I reach goal. I calorie cycle with doing different lengths of exercise. I walk, use resistance bands, and do outdoor activities. I do low calorie and low impact and that works for me.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Bump for more responses
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I didn't need to lose 100's of lb but I needed to lose close to 60. I think if it's something you want bad enough, you will stick to it to accomplish your goal. It's just like smoking...if you want to quit bad enough, you will do it. I can say that because I have done it. It's all about your wants and what you're willing to do to get them. If the want is there bad enough and you're willing to do what it takes to get it, it'll happen!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more. It works! I started with walking and then wanting to run. I do Ripped in 30 now along with walking and other similar Dvds and want to start running again in a few weeks when the temps warm up as I don't love (read hate) running on the treadmill. Here is a link to my story if you want to see pics:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920139-lost-over-106-lbs-and-almost-to-goal-weight-pics
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me it was eating better foods and moving more. I basically eat anything I want as long as it falls within the target set by MFP.

I stopped eating from the drive thru window and tried to concentrate on lean proteins with lots of vegetables. In the beginning I really went for a variety to keep from getting bored. I would pick out a new vegetable every trip to the farmers market or grocery store.

Exercise was tough in the beginning. Starting out at 523 pounds, moving my own weight around more than I was used to hurt. I started out walking but pain in my feet, ankles, knees, legs, hips, back, shoulders..... made me look for alternatives. I then joined the YMCA to use their pool. There was a lot of apprehension on my part joining a gym. I just knew everyone would be staring at the elephant in the room. To my suprise, this was all in my head. Everyone I met there was super nice and helpful. I kept my membership at the Y for 4 or 5 months, swimming an hour a day five to six days a week. I lost my first 50 pounds doing doing that.

Part of my plan was to switch things up along the way to keep from getting bored and to reward my intermediate goals. With fall temperatures dropping the thought of even swimming (even in an indoor pool) not longer appealed to me. I then dropped my Y membership and joined another gym near my house and started lifting weights. I've built a lot of muscle since I began lifting and the increased muscle has slowed my weight loss. That said, I feel stronger and fitter than I ever have now. For cardio while lifting I rode the recumbent bike. I've lost another 60 pounds since I started lifting for a total of 110 pounds lost.

With the coming of spring weather, it's time to get back outside. The gym is great but there's a lot to see outdoors. With my second intermediate goal met, I've got a bicycle ordered as my reward. I plan on keeping my gym membership. I enjoy lifting and will need a place to work out during those spring showers, but plan on putting miles on my bike to lose the next 50.

I think motivation is a personal thing. Youve got to come up with your own reasons to start and maintain yourself on your journey toward fitness. My motivation for starting out was a mix of self hatred and anger. Somewhere along the way it's changed to wanting to be better. Day to day motivation to keep going comes from different places. In the beginning I would read the success stories on MFP first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Reading how others were succeeding made success seem possible. Looking at the before and after photos motivated me. It wasn't so much seeing the changes people made to their bodies as much as it was seeing the changes in their expressions. The faces in the after photos always look happier and more confident.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. It's inspiring to see that it can be done. Ready to get back to losing. Thanks
  • newguynow
    Options
    Focus. I lost 130lbs.

It reminds me of the kid that dreams of joining the MBA.

If he doesn't practice basketball, doesn't do well in school, doesn't do anything, should he wonder why the MBA didn't pick him?

If he practices all the time, gets GREAT grades, sleeps with his basketball, joins the high school team. works hard, then he has a real good shot!

My daughter is 400 lbs, I love her to death, but I watch her eat cookies and candy and junk and sit and play video games and then complains to me she is overweight.

I worked my A** OFF (literally) and I got the results i wanted.

Here are the top 5 tips I would give ANYONE that wants to start losing weight that helped me.

1) Drastically reduce the percentage of foods with "added" sugar (anything more than 5 grams per serving)
    2) Eat until you are satisfied (preferred) or full (okay) but NEVER stuffed.
    3) Eat a good salad (lettuce, veggies, fat-free itialian dressing) 10 minutes before dinner
    4) Walk a minimum of 30 minutes per day. Goal: a 20 minute (or less) mile.
    5) Increase your whole grains (decrease white or ultra-processed flours)

Of course, I did more but this will get an obese person down to at least overweight just following these tips....if not better.

Good luck!

Extra Tip -- Don't drink your calories.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Extra Tip -- Don't drink your calories.

TRUTH

Taking fresh fruit and adding it to water = totally yum!
    boiling up teas (green tea) adding fruit and chilling in the fridge = totally yum too!

plus it boosts your metabolism
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!