Veggie&Fruit Substitution Challenge – 1-Day at.a.time

Options
RebelRenny
RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
This 1 day at.a.time. challenge is meant for those who would like to increase their fruit and veggie consumption and create an awareness of their nutritional values. This is a weekly challenge for 2013, which I post every Friday evening for the Saturday! However, any day is good.

1. Post if you are in and what you are going to do for a day
2. Report back how you did at the end of the day or – also good - the next morning!

Here is how the challenge works:
-SUBSTITUTE any (or all) of the starch / meat / dairy food portion in a meal with Fresh Vegetables (where possible)
-EAT vegetables and/or fruit at every meal and snack time for a day.
-Have only (fresh) fruits or vegetables for snacks
-Drink 8oz of water and stay away from alcohol / soft drinks
-Aim for 30g of fiber for the day
-If you can't do a whole day, do one meal

Good luck everyone!
Rebel Renny
From Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Replies

• Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Will do fruit salad again and veggie dinner. Will check in on Sunday.
    Lila
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm in.

Just taking it one day at a time is good for me and may help me get back on track.

Had a vegie/fruit smoothie for breakfast. Fresh salad for lunch. Planning on steam vegies for dinner.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This 1 day at.a.time. challenge is meant for those who would like to increase their fruit and veggie consumption and create an awareness of their nutritional values. This is a weekly challenge for 2013, which I post every Friday evening for the Saturday! However, any day is good.

1. Post if you are in and what you are going to do for a day
    2. Report back how you did at the end of the day or – also good - the next morning!

Here is how the challenge works:
    -SUBSTITUTE any (or all) of the starch / meat / dairy food portion in a meal with Fresh Vegetables (where possible)
    -EAT vegetables and/or fruit at every meal and snack time for a day.
    -Have only (fresh) fruits or vegetables for snacks
    -Drink 8oz of water and stay away from alcohol / soft drinks
    -Aim for 30g of fiber for the day
    -If you can't do a whole day, do one meal

Good luck everyone!
    Rebel Renny
    From Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Being a vegan that doesn't eat processed flour products either, I've been eating like this every day since August. Feel free to look at my diary to get ideas. I usually log the veggies as raw because that's when I measure/weigh them. But then I usually saute or roast them so you'll notice my veggie meals usually also have a Tab of olive oil listed. ANyway good luck adding more fruits and veggies!! Garden season is coming and so really good produce is on the way!!
  • mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really want to increase my fruit and vegie intake but this is a drastic challenge that i dont think i can do over night. I am going to try with one meal at a time, one day at a time!! Thanks for posting!!!
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Renny, I'm in again, I have been doing this every week and just realized I have been forgetting to return and post what I ate. It's so hard to find computer time on the weekends for me. Enjoy your weekend !
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    @cooky - just knowing that you're in is great. That part is the promise. Checking back in after the fact is accountability. Accountability is the part that reports out on the promise you had made to yourself and others by explaining what exactly you did. It's a powerful tool.

@mhutchinson74 - I love that you are realistic. One meal at a time, one day at a time are the steps that get you to a goal. I'd say you are going about it exactly the right way. Would love to hear back how you did and what your goals are.

@judydelo1 - Thanks for the encouragement!!

@jellyfishjen - Nice! I like your plan

@Lila - you have used a powerful word: "will" You said you will this and you will that. It reflects a mindset that is key to the right behaviour. When you say I "will" instead of "should" "have to" or "need to" "must".

What is it that we really want?

ttyl
    Renny
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm in. You got me started on my new favorite lunch: one navel orange, and one ruby grapefruit, peeled and segmented, in a bowl with a little salt. Surprisingly satisfying, and of course delicious! So that will be my lunch today.
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Reporting in.

Saturday was a success. Now to work on day 2.

I've just started having smoothies for breakfast and quite enjoy them. For now, due to what I have in the fridge. I blend rockmelon, carrott, spinach, celery, apple, with wheatgrass, lecithin, psyllium husk, flaxmeal, olive leaf extract and a scoop of protein powder. Yesterday I managed to save half and finish for morning tea.
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Renny,
    Well I guess the only meal that will count is breakfast, I never gave it a thought when I went to lunch with my girl friend and had a cup of coffee, then at dinner it had slipped my mind and I blew it with the butter, bread and sour cream ! Are we supposed to post what we ate on here? Over all I'm pretty pleased with my day! Thank you again for creating this wonderful challenge! Oh and the soup of choice was Butternut squash :smile:

Breakfast
    Amazing Grass - Organic Wheat Grass Powder, 1 scoop (8 gm)
    green drink, 1 serving(s)
    Jay Robb - Egg White Protein - Vanilla, 0.5 scoop
    Spectrum Essentials - Chia Seeds, 0.33 Tbsp
    lunch
    Coffee Culture - Garden Salad (Add on/Soup & Salad Combo)
    Coffee w/ Sugar & 1 creamer
    Balsamic Vinegrette
    Dinner
    Pineapple – Raw ½ cup
    Sour Cream, 1 TBSP
    Potato and Onion Pierogies, 3 pieces
    Sauteed Mushroom and Onions In Butter, 1/2 cup
    Butter, 0.33 Tsp
    Whole Grain - 7 Grain Bread, 2 oz.
    Sauteed Green Cabbage W/Apple, 1 cup
    Reese's - Mini Reester Bunnies, 1 pieces
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    @cookie - however you wish to report out is how it is. there are no rules :flowerforyou: . If your diary is open to the public you are welcome to reduce the reporting out to what you think are the highlights and mention that your diary is open to the public. Up to you :drinker:

@jellyfish - I like what you did and that day 2 is next :flowerforyou:

@sylvia - I think you've touched on a great formula of eating and working out. something for the rest of us to "absorb" :flowerforyou:

Personally, I had a weird day. We are looking after our little toddler grandson this weekend, and yesterday I twisted my ankle. Up early with grandson and because we made him breakfast I had a scrambled egg. for lunch I had a baked potato. For snack this afternoon avocado and banana. However...DH provided dinner and it was a pizza. Homemade, but still, not what I had planned, which is commonly vegetables for dinner. I'll have to think of how to log the pizza.

Toddler is in bed now, so time to relax. Hope to have a good night sleep tonight and do better tomorrow.

:heart: Renny
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    :drinker: had a smoothie for breakfast, so off to a better start than yesterday! Cooked a spaghetti squash to eat some later on.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

:heart: Renny
  • jellyfishjen
    Options
    Sunday Report :- Rather happy with my efforts but know I can do better. Smoothie again for breakfast packed with goodness, rockmelon, peach, spinach, carrott, celery etc. Lunch could have been better, but I was so hungry after going for 40 min walk in the morning. This is big for me haven't exercised of any sort in ages. So i was inspired then to walk again in the evening, so prepared a pot of vegies with chickpeas for dinner. Had flat bread for a snack. And made fresh wheatgerm, honey and raisin muffins.

Monday Report :- This is a tough day as I start work very early. I premade my smoothie the night before, so happy to report that I at last started the day well. Morning tea was one of my wheatgerm muffin, rice cakes and a protein bar. As I start very early by the time we get a break Im often hungry and am glad I took extra snacks. However due to a computer error had to do 2 1/2 hours overtime, so for lunch had to resort to the emergency nut bar kept in my locker. Being diabetic I have to watch my sugar levels and need to eat every couple of hours. So that didn't go so well and by the time I got home was so tired and brain dead it was a cup of tea and flatbread sandwich. Im however proud of the fact that I resisted all the fast food shops at work and came home to eat at 3pm. I think I have made up for it tonight with a lovely dinner of stir fry vegies and tofu.

Still taking it one day at a time, I know some days will be easier then others. I will just try to make the best choice I can at that time.