Obese MFP'ers - question!

Options
2»

Replies

• iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 weeks (30 minutes a day) to see a difference in my body. It was a small change but it was there. By the second week I was feeling stronger. Each week feeling stronger and stronger.
    I made a deal with myself. I told myself I would not get discouraged as long as I just kept moving. If I couldn't do a complete set of something, I walked through it or just kept moving. Eventually, I was making it through different sets of things. And although I still can't do proper form pushups, or do even one chin up, I can do proper jumping jacks now and have moved up to 45 minute work outs.
    Just get through it. Soon you will be surprising yourself. :)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It only takes a little while to notice a difference. I just re-started working out again, maybe like a week and today I went up the stairs without being totally winded like normally.
    I think it varies from person to person, probably age will have a lot to do with it, how frequent you actually work out and yada yada. But it really shouldn't take long to notice small differences :)
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 weeks, though the increase in fitness over that time was gradual.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started as class III obese (morbidly obese -- BMI 42+/-) and am now about midway overweight (bmi +/- 28)... I actually started exercise about 3-4 weeks into the journey after losing about 10-15 lbs. I started slowly and progressed relatively rapidly once I really got into it.. Now, I miss it when my schedule does not permit it. I got up to 65 min cardio and an 45 min weights most days but have increased the weights and decreased cardio to about 30 min most days (though sometimes I still do the longer cardio time).. My focus has changed over the months. I would say, start slowly... don't worry about how long you do it.. just do some daily... Increase as you are ready. Do something you enjoy doing.. or are confident that you will enjoy doing... REmember.. If you enjoy it, you will keep it up more readily than if you don't enjoy doing it. Best wishes on your journey.
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    I've been working out approximately 6 days a week since the beginning of the year. With the occasional 5 day week due to illness or life getting in the way here and there. I generally do 30min-1hr weight training, 30min-1:30min walking. The first & second week my there were two nights I barely slept as my arms we throbbing from muscle pain. I wouldn't say by any means that I am pushing myself to my maximum, I know I could do more but I am aiming for the slow and steady approach to minimise injuries and the like.

After those two weeks I really noticed an increase in my strength and general fitness. From there on I've slowly been able to lift more, walk further & at a higher incline. I still don't go at 100%.

Get out there, do what you can, and try to better the next day. Watch what you eat, try to eat unprocessed food, minimise chemicals etc drink plenty of water and move.

Good luck.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It was at least six months in when I noticed a difference. As my weight dipped it got a little easier to jog, and now it hardly bothers me to jog for 60 minutes at a low speed. Over time my body adapted to the shock of exercise. That doesn't mean I'm no longer challenging myself. I am always sore after 2 - 3 days of activity, and sometimes worn out after intervals. But at this point in time my body bounces back quickly. My heart rate used to stay above 160 + with any jog, now it only goes that high when I sprint, and hangs around 120 - 140 with a slow jog.

When I was fat every workout was an uphill struggle, and I felt mentally as well as physically destroyed. I could feel the effects over the next couple of days. Now I recover fast and my body gets with the program within minutes. I am almost always sore after weights too, but it doesn't feel like I've been run over by a truck like it used to.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am my own worst enemy when it comes to exercise. I find something that looks interesting, get all the proper gear, read up on it, do everything possible associated to the exercise and then I do day 1. It feels great! I'm proud of myself. Then I do day 2 and suddenly my feet hurt. my ankles hurt. my knees hurt. Day 3- I give up. Instead of taking it slow & steady I'm off like a shot and injure myself. I have horrible feet & ankles to begin with so doing higher impact exercise with an extra 80-90 lbs on my body is not smart, but still I insist on doing it. In my head I'm a skinny little runner. Too bad my head hasn't told the rest of me that. :embarassed:

Have you tried yoga? I know a guy who had some serious joint issues and got into amazing shape doing ashtanga yoga. It's very strength oriented, but there's a lot of stretching as well, and zero impact on the joints.

The only yoga I've tried is on the Wii and I do like it. There are a group of girls that go to hot yoga here at work but they are all slim & fit so I'm not ready for that. Perhaps I'll pull out the old Wii and do that for a while, build up to a dvd or something like that.