Increasing my calories TOO FAST?

Options
I used to be at 400 calories a day for a few weeks (I know it's bad. I am close to an ED. I'm getting help though). I wanted to gradually increase it, but accidently miscounting my calories, I realized I went up to 960 on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and today I had 800. How much weight gain will I expect? Should I stay on 800 for another week or two so my body gets used to it and then up again?

Replies

• GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your body has probably tried its best to adapt to surviving on less for so long that even if you increased your intake quickly, it's not going to absorb everything you are inputing right away. Weight loss and gain has a very linear progression so it really takes a lifestyle change to make a difference. This is why people who have a bad binge after an extended period of healthy eating won't see a sudden weight gain. The body will just take what it needs/is use to getting and adapt slowly over time to its new variables.

In your situation, I'd suggest you keep upping your calories as much as you are comfortable with. The bonus for you is that you will feel better and better as time goes by.

Good job on getting help and moving past this, you can do it!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Since you are getting help, I would advise relying on your doctor or dietitian to answer any questions like these. In any event, you know that you really ought to be consuming more than 960 calories per day. Any weight gain from upping calories is temporary anyway. If you can eat 960 per day without noticing, then eat 960 and stay off the scale.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Since you are getting help, I would advise relying on your doctor or dietitian to answer any questions like these. In any event, you know that you really ought to be consuming more than 960 calories per day. Any weight gain from upping calories is temporary anyway. If you can eat 960 per day without noticing, then eat 960 and stay off the scale.

This. Stop weighing yourself and consult your dietician about how quickly to increase your calories.