which first: cardio or weights

Options
I wonder if anybody has found out if there is a difference of which you do first: cardio or weights or vice versa. Is one or the other more effective for burning calories/fat. I have been doing 30 min "balls to the walls" elliptical and then weights for another 30 min, but just started to think today if my order is right. Or maybe it really doesn't matter as long as you get it done ;)

Replies

• atlnow55
    atlnow55 Posts: 1
    Options
    ive lost 20 pounds and big part was treadmill. boring but helps more than lifting weights as a guy
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that you should so 5 minutes of cardio, then weights, and finish with cardio.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer that you should so 5 minutes of cardio, then weights, and finish with cardio.

THIS.

I do this. The 5 minute warm up prepares me for weights but doesn't zap all my energy so I can push myself to my limits lifting. Then back to cardio to work out my heart and lungs.
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Technically you should always start out with stretching and treadmeel/bike/stairs ect first also known as cardio. This helps prep your body for the work out. Then weights and then when you are done, back to cardio.

My gym Workout is:

Cardio on stationary bike: 13 minutes
    Upper Body Weights: 10 minutes
    Lower body weights: 10-15 minutes
    Mid section weights: 10-20
    Cardio on tread-meal or bike: 13 minutes
    SHOWER lol

The reason i set my workouts up like this is because if you go straight into lifting and doing weights before you stretch and get warmed out, you have a higher chance of straining your muscles. Also, it'll burn less calories if you don't do cardio first which speeds up your heart rate and gets your body pumpin. Then after cardio i do upper body weights because my legs need a few minutes to rest, then i do to lower body weights so my upper body has time to rest but so that my lower body doesn't get bored, then i go to mid section so that my legs get a break before i go to cardio. For mid section crunches are great and so are the weight swing. Then after i do that i go back to normally my personal favorite: the stationary bike. I set it for 10 minutes up hill only and after the ten minutes i set it for a cool down mode for three minutes and jog on the bike for the three minutes. Then my workouts done. Make sure to drink something like propel water that has lots of electrolytes. BUT do not drink too much during your workout or you can and most likely will get sick.