Why not?

squoozyq
squoozyq Posts: 305
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Why doesn't strength training (ie. lifting weights) count towards burning calories???

Replies

• jflad
    jflad Posts: 7
    You can count it as cardio. Just put in "weight training"
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    It does. You can find it in the cardio database under strength training.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    In the exercise database, you can find 'strength training'. It will then calculate your weight and time put in to determine the amount of calories burned. Otherwise, you can break it down by looking up the type of exercise, i.e, "bicep curls" and work from there. Hope this helps!
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Thanks everyone, I found it...only to discover that I had only burned 58 stinkin' calories!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Thanks everyone, I found it...only to discover that I had only burned 58 stinkin' calories!

Don't despair and don't stop doing resistance training. Do your routine with very little rest in between sets (< 30 seconds) and incorporate some moves like plank jacks, jump rope, jumping jacks etc. so it would be considered circuit training (so, something like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred) and you can easily burn more calories. Also, a heart rate monitor is going to be the best way to figure out your actual burn because so much can depend upon the moves you are doing and how intensely you are pushing yourself.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I can empathize with your annoyance since I don't get as many calories then on my strength training days, even though I need more protein and complex carbs to recover and maintain lean muscle from the workout.

Doing strength training can be one of the best things while you're losing weight because you're maintaining lean muscle as you lose weight. If you only do cardio, you won't have as much muscle definition once you reach your goal weight and have more of the "skinny fat" look
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Am I the only one who can't figure out how to record weight training as cardio? Please help!
This discussion has been closed.