Just joined MFP. Would love to meet new friends!

Options
Hi everyone, I just joined MFP this morning. I live in the D.C. Metro area, and have two little ones. I decided to be a "stay at home" mom in January, and should be more motivated to go to the gym when the kids are in school, but.....About three weeks ago, I decided to go to the gym and eat healthier. I lost 5lbs in two weeks! But I believe it's due to my healthier way of eating. Since then, not one more lb lost! I've been going to cardio and strength training classes (which I embarrassingly muscled through..i.e.low weights, not knowing the moves), and it's been very disheartening to not lose anything in two weeks.

I'd love to meet new friends to keep me motivated. Already, MFP has taught me something. The granola that I add to my non-fat Greek yogurt adds 240 calories! So, I'm cutting that out now. Hope to meet new friends soon!

Replies

• klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • SweetpeaHu
    SweetpeaHu Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi klbaierwalter, I just did! Thanks!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you are committed to log every day and have an open diary.

Even on this site for a year, I'm learning every day...and improving my food choices along the way too!
  • tigermom12
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me too. Just be patient and know you are doing your body good and getting healthy!:happy:
  • meekadublin
    Options
    Welcome!! nice to have you here, feel free to add me too :)
  • BellamyS
    BellamyS Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey SweetPea!

Don't get discouraged that you are not losing weight but are going to the gym because by going to the gym you are building muscles and muscles weigh more than fat - fact :-)

I had this same problem quite a few years ago when I did pretty much what you are doing now - deciding to go to the gym, losing a few pounds and then nothing for while. It will take a little while for your body to "balance" out and soon enough you will be losing the pounds on the scale, but better yet your body will be firmer and the inches lost will count more than what your scale has to say :-)

So don't let it get you down - you are doing VERY GOOD by going to the gym, don't give up, you will reap the rewards if you continue to eat healthy and exercise.

Keep it up and feel free to add me - Im new here too :-)
  • tfitz12
    tfitz12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me....
  • Tulipbirdy
    Options
    feel free to add me guys:)
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Would love to be on your list of friends.
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! Like you I have learned too thru MFP how many calories some things are that we add to our meals! Feel free to ad me if you like!
  • Mart_T
    Mart_T Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi! I'm also a stay at home mom trying to lose weight the healthy way. Feel free to add me. :)
  • Kerstinaw
    Kerstinaw Posts: 10
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Welcome to wonderful stte! friend request sent! Don't trip too much on the numbbers on the scale--- measure yourself today--pay attention to how your clothes fit now and in two weeks! you will see and feel the difference
  • ginamarina0622
    ginamarina0622 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm pretty new on here too. This is a great site if you're looking for support and new ideas. Feel free to ad me if you like! good luck!!
  • Adaphine
    Adaphine Posts: 6
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I joined a while ago but didn't get active until almost a month ago. I've lost 13 lbs thus far. I know that you are saying about losing in the first couple of weeks and then nothing. I felt that way too but realized that losing a little at a time is better than the big weight loss. It has a better chance of staying off. I did WW before but never stuck to it. I've been sticking to this and the 5 days of exercise. It's a lifestyle change for me and I'm sure you can be successful at it. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Kerstinaw
    Kerstinaw Posts: 10
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the weight. Set non-scale goals like distance or speed using equipment. Much better indication if getting healthier than an arbitrary number fluctuates frequently based on water retention. And many when they start changing consume much lower amounts of sodium which decreases water retention. Water retention stabilizes at lower rate with fluctuations and less noticable weight lose occurs. If you need to track weight, try to also use body composition measurements too. I got a scale for $30 that tells weight, body fat %, lean weight, and water %. That way I can judge if weight gain/loss good or bad.

Let's say I gained 1 lb, but lost .5% body fat. Water went from 50.4% to 51.5%. I can assume extra weight water retention and losing fat makes it a win in my book.

Also let's say I have a lazy week but try to eat less to make up for it. I lose 1 lb but body fat increased by .5%. Lean weight down and water same. Well dang I am losing muscle at faster rate than I am gaining fat but this is a loss and better get butt back in gym.

If I pick up the 30 lbs dumbbells instead of the 25 lbs, I know that is from my hard work and dedication. If I increase my run speed from 5 mph to 5.5 or 6 and have no problem, I know I am getting healthier. I am not saying weight doesn't matter but so many other things to concentrate on instead. By focusing on those goals, your weight goal will come along for the ride without any worry.
  • sueswan74
    sueswan74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom too trying to be healther! Feel free to add me too.
  • tigercesi
    tigercesi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :)
  • benum21121
    benum21121 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'll send a FR as well- anyone else, feel free to add me.. daily logger, fairly motivational, and have been marginally successful on here :)