Quick! Runners, I need your advice!

Options
Was just diagnosed with Strep Throat last night. Today I'm supposed to go running. My last run (2 days ago) was ok, but I felt kind of dizzy after getting off the treadmill.

Is running a bad idea today?

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My personal rule of thumb is I'm clear to exercise if I don't have a fever and if it's above the neck only. Fever or chest congestion means I skip. However, if I'm extra tired from sickness, I may skip anyway in favor of extra sleep.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how you feel. If the antibiotics are kicking in and you are feeling fine, go ahead and run. If not, then don't. Personally I would probably wait and see how you feel tomorrow. Your body needs to rest when you are sick.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    So.... if I think I can... I can?

I haven't been really "sick" in about 4 years now... & I only started running 3 years ago... so this is kind of new territory for me.

Nothing respiratory... but my throat is KILLING ME!!!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't run with strep throat. Unless you're almost over it, you probably have a fever, which kills the "it's above the neck, so it's okay to run" idea (fevers are whole-body, not just above the neck). You need rest.

If you do run, keep it very slow and gentle, and stop if you feel dizzy.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Was just diagnosed with Strep Throat last night. Today I'm supposed to go running. My last run (2 days ago) was ok, but I felt kind of dizzy after getting off the treadmill.

Is running a bad idea today?

I wouldn't run with strep throat. You aren't talking about the common cold here, but something that can lead to very serious life altering complications if it isn't handled right. Take care of it.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Try a light jog? If you feel good after a mile, pick up the pace. If you don't, stop and get the rest you need.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My personal rule of thumb is I'm clear to exercise if I don't have a fever and if it's above the neck only. Fever or chest congestion means I skip. However, if I'm extra tired from sickness, I may skip anyway in favor of extra sleep.

this is exactly what i do
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.

I got strep throat for the first time, as an adult, last year. It took several months and 3-4 rounds of antibiotics to fnally shake it. Rest will help recovery.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest that.
  • camillaiae
    camillaiae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sore throat = no running. Puts you at risk for myocarditis (heart muscle infection) which can be lethal. (That's how it goes with viruses, maybe not with Streptococci, but there's always the chance that it's a mixed infection so no, I wouldn't)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sore throat = no running. Puts you at risk for myocarditis (heart muscle infection) which can be lethal. (That's how it goes with viruses, maybe not with Streptococci, but there's always the chance that it's a mixed infection so no, I wouldn't)

Holy Crap! Ok... Maybe I'll give the antibiotics another couple of days....
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Rest if you're sick. Take a couple days and feel better.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Streptococci are bacteria, not viruses, but it certainly can damage the heart, along with the kidneys, brain and every other organ in the body. It's believed to be what cost Helen Keller her eyesight and hearing.
  • camillaiae
    camillaiae Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Streptococci are bacteria, not viruses,

Yeah, that' why I said "with viruses, maybe not with Strepts" :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    no. you have strep throat. Its not like you're missing the Olympics, just take a few days off and get better.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Holy Crap! Ok... Maybe I'll give the antibiotics another couple of days....

If you are on antibiotics you should generally not run even if you are feeling better.