Maintainers: I need your input, very depressed

I just saw part of HBO's 4-part series "The Weight of the Nation". In it, it said: if you have lost a notable amount of weight in the past, once you are trying to maintain that weight loss you cannot eat the same number of calories as a person of the same height/weight/build/lifestyle who has been at that healthy weight basically their whole adult life.

Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e26JKMpSNSo

Basically they said that in order to keep it off, the person who has lost the weight has to eat about 20% less than the person who never had to lose weight and that this never changes, no matter how long you stay at the new/healthier weight.

Is this true?

I gained weight due to overeating when I got to college 6 years ago and ever since then I've been up and down with my weight. I'm very afraid that I've screwed up my life forever and that I will never be able to get back to where I was before and maintain while eating my TDEE calories. This scares the living daylights out of me! I want to be able to eat at what my normal TDEE would be had I never gained weight when I got to college...a 20% deficit for the rest of my life is a lot! It's hard for me...no one I know is overweight and I just want to fit in with my friends and family.

Other things I've found/read related to this are:

I've also found: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.drsharma.ca/obesitywhy-is-it-so-hard-to-maintain-a-reduced-body-weight.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uKb42Gs5_G0J:www.drsharma.ca/obesity-why-diet-and-exercise-is-not-a-treatment-for-obesity.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RJv-9jn3lz4J:www.drsharma.ca/obesity-why-hyperleptinaemia-is-not-leptin-resistance.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pNy7aWMzTcIJ:www.drsharma.ca/why-losing-weight-is-unnatural-or-the-holy-grail-of-weight-loss-maintenance.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(Posting the cached copies because the site seems to not be working)

Replies

• Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Unfortunately, it seems to be true
  • Is this from your experience? May I ask if you've been overweight since you were growing up or just gained weight from overeating over time?

What I don't get about the set point theory is that my set point wasn't high to begin with. It never was. I had to stop listening to my internal hunger signals and overeat to get there. So why wouldn't I be able to go back to my normal set point, especially if I start listening to my body again.

Basically--if you aren't naturally overweight, why would it change as you gain weight and then lose it, if it is truly about the set point and a hormone balance to keep you at that set point?
  • I've heard this too. It's because your metabolism slows down. I think you're meant to 'trick' your metabolism by alternating between low, high and normal amount of calories, or increase the speed of your metabolism by exercising and eventually you'd be able to go back to normal. Hope this helps. :)
  • rougecrayon
    rougecrayon Posts: 100
    I'm not sure about the 20%, and probably everyone who loses weight is different, but it seems to be a pattern that it is easier to put on weight if the weight was there before.

From what I understand when we overeat/gain weight fat cells will expand to their maximum and new fat cells will be created. When we lose weight, we are only able to shrink the fat cells, and removing it can only be done through surgery. Since it takes less energy to fill fat cells than create new ones, the cells you currently have will expand faster than skinny all their lives people who's body needs to create new cells to hold the fat.

If you are treating yourself well by eating and moving well enough, you will be able to increase the efficiency of your metabolism and it will be possible to eat more without gaining weight however people who were overweight before has to look closer at their weight to ensure they are not going backwards.

Basically - once you get fat, the fat is always there and you need to maintain it's size. People who have weight problems on a specific spot, it will always come to that spot first (so those who hold fat on their bellies have an easier time noticing weight gain since it's right in front of them.)
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    I gained weight after menopause. Then i lost it on a strict diet and exercise. It came back. Then i lost it again. And many times over. Every time more difficult. Even though my workouts are more and more rigorous.
    But also i observed a number of women my age, same story.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

That is plenty of calories, and more than most women I know eat.
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Refer to the Lyle MacDonald's site: bodyrecomposition.com He writes about set points; more importantly how to change them. You will find a wealth of information on this site backed by scientific research. Good luck!
  • I'm not sure about the 20%, and probably everyone who loses weight is different, but it seems to be a pattern that it is easier to put on weight if the weight was there before.

From what I understand when we overeat/gain weight fat cells will expand to their maximum and new fat cells will be created. When we lose weight, we are only able to shrink the fat cells, and removing it can only be done through surgery. Since it takes less energy to fill fat cells than create new ones, the cells you currently have will expand faster than skinny all their lives people who's body needs to create new cells to hold the fat.

If you are treating yourself well by eating and moving well enough, you will be able to increase the efficiency of your metabolism and it will be possible to eat more without gaining weight however people who were overweight before has to look closer at their weight to ensure they are not going backwards.

Basically - once you get fat, the fat is always there and you need to maintain it's size. People who have weight problems on a specific spot, it will always come to that spot first (so those who hold fat on their bellies have an easier time noticing weight gain since it's right in front of them.)

This is interesting. So basically the only cure to this is to get liposuction after weight loss?
  • I do think that this is true in most cases. I have family members that are stick figures and eat whatever they want and don't gain an ounce. Some poeple's bodies are built differently than others. I, however, was not blessed with a small figure and able to eat whatever I want. I started gaining weight in highschool and the only time that I can lose it, is if I cut my calories and exercise. So, I have learned to try to make it a lifestyle change. I figured that once I got down to my goal weight that I will not want to eat more calories. I also think that I may have a slight overeating dissorder. Losing weight will not cure that. That's in my head that I need to figure out. Good luck. And if you fall off the bandwagon and gain weight, realize that it's okay and that you're still human. Just do whatever it takes to get motivated again (looking at pictures, buying new workout shoes or clothes etc.)
  • I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

Do you eat at this value, though?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I think it may be somewhat true if you lose weight through diet alone. However, if you have lost weight with a moderate calorie deficit and worked out, and continue to workout, I think you can keep your metabolism burning higher. Especially if you incorporate weight training into your workouts. Building strong muscle is the best way to keep your metabolism firing.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Refer to the Lyle MacDonald's site: bodyrecomposition.com He writes about set points; more importantly how to change them. You will find a wealth of information on this site backed by scientific research. Good luck!

^^^^This.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :heart: I have seen that report before, and I am not sure that I believe it all. It probably WILL Be harder for someone who has had a Lifetime of Poor Eating Habits to maintain their Weight after Loss. But I would think that -- as with ALL Behaviour Modification -- it would become easier over time.
    :smokin: I think I will always have to be Vigilant and Mindful of What & How Much I eat. But that is really NOT a Bad Thing, is it? The choices are Obesity, Illness, Medication, Loss of Independance, and ~ Ultimately ~ an Early Death.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I think there's a lot more to it than just having been overweight. I've never been overweight, I exercise every day, I'm muscular, and I still don't lose weight eating the1500 calories a day that is my maintenance level. Some people gain weight more easily than others, just like some people are better musicians, and some people are better at math. Don't be depressed about it. Work with your body the way it is.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    I have been overweight most of my adult life and if I were to eat at TDEE (I am tall and very active), I would eat in excess of 2,800 calories a day.

Yes, she does
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member

More at present.

I am trying for extra muscle (I lift) so am currently eating at TDEE + 5%, so eating 3,000 calories a day (even on my rest day). I will put on weight doing this, so at some point, I will be back eating at a deficit.

No problems eating this amount, although I am worried that I am eating too many unhealthy snacks (ie chocolate) so will have to change that.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    I don't know the scientific answer to this, but I do know that I can easily maintain my weight eating 2400-2600 calories a day. That's really plenty of food, so I don't feel too sad about it honestly.

Even if it is true that people who've lost weight can't eat as much as those who've never lost it...oh well. Maybe that's the price we pay for making the mistake of gaining weight. Either way, it is what it is. Personally, I'm willing to do whatever it takes...my momma once told me that "life ain't fair"...and she has been proven correct over and over.

But you have to keep everything in perspective...some people don't have enough food to eat, and our big problem is having an over-abundance of everything. It's all relative :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    I think that, in general, people who lose a lot of weight do it by being quite restrictive with calories (ie 1200) and then expect to be able to eat at the "normal" amount without any problems. It depends on how sensible you are whilst losing the weight
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    I think that, in general, people who lose a lot of weight do it by being quite restrictive with calories (ie 1200) and then expect to be able to eat at the "normal" amount without any problems. It depends on how sensible you are whilst losing the weight

This. We're making a lifestyle change, and for that reason it's never going to be the same.
  • I think that, in general, people who lose a lot of weight do it by being quite restrictive with calories (ie 1200) and then expect to be able to eat at the "normal" amount without any problems. It depends on how sensible you are whilst losing the weight

Well by the "normal" amount, I personally don't mean the amount that made me gain the weight in the first place. I realize that I'm not going to be able to eat that amount and not gain weight. That's why I ended up gaining weight!

I guess I just mean the amount I was eating before I gained weight. That would be what I consider to be "normal" for my body at that weight.