How does an HRM work?

I've looked at HRMs online, and I even went into a sporting goods store. I lost my nerve to ask the skinny 20 year old guy working there when he saw what I was looking at, gave the eye flick at my morbidly obese body and sort of smirked. Yes, I know it could have all been in my head, but I still lost my nerve.

Okay, on to my question. I've heard people talk about how they get a more accurate calorie burn count when using an HRM. How does it work? Not sure I'm understanding it correctly. You put your stats in...somewhere (one of the things I don't know). It reads your heart rate while exercising then transmits it to anoher device...a watch, I think? I guess there's some calculation that goes on with the heart rate and your stats...then it shows what? Just how many calories burned? See, not sure what all info it gives.

Next thing for me, I weigh about 278...not sure yet of my measurements...will a regular HRM with a chest strap even fit around me? Or would I have to order a bigger one? None that I looked at/read about addressed that issue.

Finally, I've had heart problems in the past...an enlarged heart caused by an infection that settled there. I've not had any special treatment for it, and it seems to have gotten better over the years since it happened. My doctor knows I'm exercising and didn't place any restrictions on me. She never seems to her anything too odd when she listens to my heart. I guess I have this fear that when I put the thing on, it will freak out. *L* I have issues, I know! Anyone have any heart issues showing up with the HRM? Not a very clear question, I know, but just wondering before I invest in it...

Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A HRM measures your HR while you exercise and uses algorithms to do the calculations based on your age, sex, weight, height to figure how many calories you would have burned. All your data is easily entered into the watch portion when you set it up. You only need to change that if you lose weight.

The Polar HRM's use an elastic strap that if put out to the farthest length will go around my husband who is about 270 lbs. A Polar FT4 is a good buy for a basic HRM.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Next thing for me, I weigh about 278...not sure yet of my measurements...will a regular HRM with a chest strap even fit around me? Or would I have to order a bigger one? None that I looked at/read about addressed that issue.
    I'm not positive but I believe Polar makes their straps pretty big, so it should fit you. I am using the Polar FT4 monitor and I've had to make it tighter twice now because of how loose it was. I have found that the monitor works better if it is has a snug fit while doing cardio workouts.
  • roote13
    roote13 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for all the info!