Life after death

Options
olDave
olDave Posts: 557 Member
Do you believe in life after death? Why or why not?

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Life encompasses the cycles of birth & death.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I believe this thread will soon be locked.
    I believe I don't know and neither does anyone else.
    Death is the ultimate adventure, it's when you finally find out who was right.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hey there olDave...I want to believe that there is something after the body dies, whether it is "life" as we know it I don't know.
    I feel it is possible if the "mind" can be downloaded to some other place and then reloaded much like a computer. As far as the body is concerned just clone the DNA. Of course this all means that there is such a system in place to retain the mind after the body dies, either "naturally" or planned by a higher intelligence. I think if human kind exists long enough our science and technology will make this possible. So it sort of begs the question if we can do it then why not something that has already gotten that far. Of couse this smacks of a basis of religion that some folks will poop all over.
    Yes I am crazy but what the hey !!!:smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sounds a bit crazy to have to die to live again.
  • foxro
    Options
    In a way though we do continue to live through our children, the DNA genetics etc get passed along.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    No because I'd be sent to hell and I'm not liking that idea.
  • k1200s
    k1200s Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Best answer.
    Yes, I will live after my body dies!
    There was a perfect man without sin.
    Jesus was his name and he testified that He was God! For his testimony he was crucified, he died, was buried and was raised from the dead where he was seen by witnesses to be alive. He was given a new body but this new body is created for eternity. Anyone who believes in him will also receive a new body and never die too.
    He is the Messiah about who was prophesied in Hebrew bible.
    Because all people have sinned and the punishment for sin is death. But there are two deaths, the first death is when your body will wear out which is 100% effective, receiving the second death is determined by whether or not you believe in Jesus.
    Only in believing that Jesus paid the price for all sin, both all past sin and all future sin, can we be saved from the second death.
    Someone who says he is God is either a liar, a lunatic or He is God, right?
    Now It is yours to decide. Is this Jesus a liar, a lunatic or Lord?
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You go into the dirt. That's it. That's while you must live your life the best you can, for as long as you can, because you only get this chance.
  • More_Dakka
    More_Dakka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You go into the dirt. That's it. That's while you must live your life the best you can, for as long as you can, because you only get this chance.

Pretty much this
  • Marliesdick
    Options
    I like your answer.
  • Jeepgal2012
    Options
    I have pondered this and my only concern is hoping my dead relatives don't see me when I'm being the master of my domain.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Pretty much this

Ditto!

ETA: I want to be made into a false reef (see Eternal Reefs) so I'll go into the sea instead of the dirt...
  • SlimFrederic
    Options
    For a more sensitive answer, Yale professor Shelly Kagan mind blowing course on "Death"
    http://oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/phil-176
    Available for free on iTunes and YouTube.

• Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Chances are that there's nothing after death. But I suppose it comes down to how much we as people actually know about what's around us. Teller thought the H bomb might ignite the Earth's atmosphere. Some people think Twilight is a good "saga".

There's too much that we think we know that ends up being debunked. To say that there isn't an "afterlife" simply because we can't see the possibility of one is isn't enough - because our thoughts are limited by what we know.

Again: people like Twilight - just hold onto that thought for a few seconds.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    A gross misunderstanding of about Buddhism exists today, especially in the notion of reincarnation. The common misunderstanding is that a person has led countless previous lives, usually as an animal, but somehow in this life he is born as a human being and in the next life he will be reborn as an animal, depending on the kind of life he has lived.

Herein lies our problem. A parable, when taken literally, does not make sense to the modern mind. Therefore we must learn to differentiate the parables and myths from actuality. However, if we learn to go beyond or transcend the parables and myths, we will be able to understand the truth.

Reincarnation is not a simple physical birth of a person; for instance, John being reborn as a cat in the next life. In this case John possesses an immortal soul which transforms to the form of a cat after his death. This cycle is repeated over and over again. Or if he is lucky, he will be reborn as a human being.

Karma is a Sanskrit word from the root "Kri" to do or to make and simply means "action." It operates in the universe as the continuous chain reaction of cause and effect. It is not only confined to causation in the physical sense but also it has moral implications. "A good cause, a good effect; a bad cause a bad effect" is a common saying. In this sense karma is a moral law.

By actions, thoughts, and words, man is releasing spiritual energy to the universe and he is in turn affected by influences coming in his direction. Man is therefore the sender and receiver of all these influences. The entire circumstances surrounding him is his karma.

We can learn a valuable lesson from the teaching of reincarnation.

In what realm do you now live? If you are hungry for power, love, and self-recognition, you live in the Preta world, or hungry ghosts. If you are motivated only by thirsts of the human organism, you are existing in the world of the beast.

Consider well then your motives and intentions. Remember that man is characteristically placed at the midpoint of the ten stages; he can either lower himself abruptly or gradually into hell or through discipline, cultivation and the awakening of faith
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No. Because I haven't seen anything that convinces me otherwise.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    yes. I have experienced ghosts, including my deceased grandfather who gave me a message to give to my grandmother. Definitely yes.
  • foxro
    Options
    No. Because I haven't seen anything that convinces me otherwise.

Hey there olDave - and hence the enigma, you or we havn't seen anything...and in good respect, myself I find it hard to discard over 5000 years +- of human history that speaks to this. At some point, somewhere the idea began or was taught and spread around the world, same as the references to a God or creator. So were folks before our time duped or is there some fact, even though we have not witnessed it. Take care !! Love these posts !!!