Troubleshoot with me...

Options
I'm in a weight-loss rut, and I know of the many factors that could be causing it, but I could use some help on determining which direction to go.

I have lost weight successfully before, and it seemed pretty cut and dry during those times. (maintain deficit of 1000 cals = lose two pounds a week. Bam. Simple.) My most successful time getting in great shape and down to a weight I was happy with was only two years ago. I then became pregnant, and after baby I had about 20 lbs to shed. At first, I assumed my difficulty losing after baby was due to breastfeeding-- though some women lose during it, I seemed to hang on.

But now, I am no longer breastfeeding, my baby is a year old, and though I am losing...it's verrrrrrrrry slow. I feel like I am working WAY too hard to lose this slowly.

Here's the scoop:
I'm training for a half-marathon. This means I currently log about 20-30 miles a week, depending on the week. I run 3-4 days a week, I do 45 minute circuit-training sessions with a trainer 2x per week, and I usually throw in a spin class twice a week on my 'off days' for running.

I usually wear my BodyMedia armband and aim for a 1200 deficit from those numbers. PLEASE NOTE: The reason I shoot for a "1200" deficit, is that I'm trying to allow for error-- this way I don't have to worry if something is off on my calorie counts by a bit, or if my activity was overestimated. It has worked well for me in the past.

I'm REALLY busy lately, so sometimes I just don't have time to make sure my armband is all charged and ready to go, so on days when I'm not wearing it, I log my exercise, but I underestimate a bit. For example, the MFP calculations always give me about 110-130 calories per mile when I run, I try to tweak it so that I'm only getting 'credit' for about 100 calories per mile.

I typically hit right where MFP has me each day and/or right at my "1200" deficit mark by my BodyMedia armband calculations.

This puts me, on most days, at about 1400-1600 calories, and on my long-run days I could go as high as 2000-2400 cals.

But.... my weight is barrrrrrrrely creeping downward. I'm not new to weight-loss, fitness, and general health knowledge. I read a ton, and I've experimented with it alot over the years.
I am very concerned about whole, healthy foods for myself and my family, so we eat minimal processed anything. I don't kid myself when logging calories. I always try to overestimate by a bit if I'm unsure, and I even log little things like the few bites of mini-wheats I stole from my kiddo's breakfast cereal bowl.

So: I've narrowed my possible culprits down to these things:

-- I'm eating too much
-- I'm not eating enough
-- I have to give up treat foods. Regardless of whether I fit them into my calorie balance for the day, maybe they're just screwing with me right now.
-- Something hormonal is going on that I can't identify

I REALLY honestly feel like I'm not eating high enough to say with confidence, "I'm eating too much!! That's clearly the culprit!" because, if I'm calculating for a 1000-1200 deficit by my own counts, then even with LOTS of error, I'd still be at a good, solid 500 deficit and be losing a pound a week.
I really don't feel like I'm eating too little, if I'm eating an average of 1600 with a high day or two thrown in on long run days.

But... maybe? I've never had to post a question like this before, because it's always been pretty clear to me what I needed to do. But I'm sick of saying, "It'll balance out next week...." and it just... doesn't. Up until January of this year, I was losing a few here and there, but only half-trying. Now, I've been serious about this since January, and in that time I've only lost 6-7 pounds (on a GOOD scale day), 1.5 in. from my waist, 3 in. from my hips, and about 3.5 % bodyfat. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for those accomplishments, but I know that with what I'm doing, I should be seeing better results in this amount of time. I feel like I'm dedicating 80% of my free time (which is precious as a wife, mom of three, and a high-school teacher) to this, it needs to be WORTH it! I'm glad to be healthy and increasing my fitness levels, but I also still have weight to lose. It needs to come off.

Stats (so you know I'm not shooting for anything unrealistic) :

Female, 30, 5'5", 156 (goal:135), waist 30 in/ hips 39 in, current bf% 26, jeans size: comfortable 10, tight 8

Replies

• jackiepedersen
    Options
    Well, that's why I shoot for a 1200 deficit instead of the proper 1000, I'm trying to allow for armband over-estimation.

Even if my armband was wildly overestimating (which it really doesn't seem to, it gives me about 100 cals/per hour during my normal day, about 70-80 cals per hour once I go to bed, a little over 100 cals/mile running, and only about 320 calories for a 45 minute spin class... those are pretty reasonable and down-to-earth. Not like the people who say "Yay!! My armband says I burned 1000 calories in Zumba class!!")
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'd be patient. 3 inches from your hips since January? You rock.

Also, from another runner who's training for a HM: you need to fuel your runs. Slow weight loss is excellent. You might even go for a smaller deficit, at least until after the race. I set my deficit for half a pound a week, and find that it works for me (but I use a HRM, not a Fitbit--I can't speak to any problems you might be having with that).
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think shooting for a daily 1000-1200 deficit when you only have 20 pounds to lose is unrealistic. I would suggest trying a 500 deficit for a month and see how that goes. What have you got to lose?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    With only 20ish pounds to lose, a 1000 calorie deficit is too aggressive. Of course you aren't losing. Try a 500 calories deficit. You should have success there.

The last 10-20 pounds are tough and slow-going for everyone.
  • jackiepedersen
    Options
    ...and maybe that's just something I need to come to terms with. When I started really successfully losing weight two years ago, I was at about 185. I had a good 50-55 lbs to lose.

I still don't *feel* like the person that's "down the last few" that needs to shrink their deficit. But perhaps I need to shift my image of which 'category I fit into'. When people say "the last 15", I always picture the person who's already at a healthy weight, but wants to really shred. I'm not even 'technically' in a healthy weight-range until I'm out of the 150s. I mean, of course I *know* that I am a healthy, active woman.... but I guess that's why I still feel like the girl that has a decent amount left to lose.
  • jackiepedersen
    Options
    ^^Truthfully, also, part of why I've put off shifting to a 500 deficit for so long is that when you're at that small of a deficit, any little miscalculation can inadvertently cost you that week's loss. So a 1000 deficit felt easier to me, because I didn't have to stress about every tiny thing.
  • jackiepedersen
    Options
    Thanks, btw, Majope. :) That was nice of you to high-five me. We all need that.

And I'm not downplaying it, but keep in mind that my body *is* still bouncing back from baby, so some of that three inches is due to my hips continuing to close back up, I can't confidently say it's ALL fat loss from that area.

As for fueling runs, I think that's where I'm finding it's so hard to balance. I DO want to run well. I ALSO would like all this damn running to slim me down! :D Sigh. Fine line, right?
  • jackiepedersen
    Options
    ...and maybe that's just something I need to come to terms with. When I started really successfully losing weight two years ago, I was at about 185. I had a good 50-55 lbs to lose.

I still don't *feel* like the person that's "down the last few" that needs to shrink their deficit. But perhaps I need to shift my image of which 'category I fit into'. When people say "the last 15", I always picture the person who's already at a healthy weight, but wants to really shred. I'm not even 'technically' in a healthy weight-range until I'm out of the 150s. I mean, of course I *know* that I am a healthy, active woman.... but I guess that's why I still feel like the girl that has a decent amount left to lose.

How are you determining a "healthy weight range" by BMI? If you are, BMI is a terrible ting to go by. You should go by your body fat %.
    True, true. And I was about to counter you and say "I'm not in a healthy bf% range yet either".. but.... I just checked and I see that 'healthy' for women is from about 21-33%. :blushing: So.... ok. I'd like to be somewhere between 22-24%...
    But I see your point.