hyperthyroidism

Options
So after doing all these tests I found out today that I have hyperthyroidism, which doesn't make sense because I am FAT and I have a VERY hard time losing weight:noway: !!! I had my Dr rolling when I asked her over and over if she was sure it was hyper not hypo.... Anyone know anything about this?? I have another Dr apt on Thursday!

Thanks

Heatther

Replies

• heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    So after doing all these tests I found out today that I have hyperthyroidism, which doesn't make sense because I am FAT and I have a VERY hard time losing weight:noway: !!! I had my Dr rolling when I asked her over and over if she was sure it was hyper not hypo.... Anyone know anything about this?? I have another Dr apt on Thursday!

Thanks

Heatther
  • vramage
    vramage Posts: 28
    Options
    Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which there is overproduction of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland, causing the levels of thyroid hormone in the blood to be too high. People who have it are often said to have an "overactive thyroid".

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism may include a rapid heartbeat, tremor of the fingers and hands, weight loss, and the inability to tolerate heat

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/hyperthyroidism/HYE_whatis.html
    will tell you all uyou need to know :flowerforyou:
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Yep, you're right. My mom has thyroid cancer and they're making her go hypo as part of her treatment and she's been gaining weight like crazy. It doesn't matter what she eats, on come the pounds. Which is sad because she's got a mess of weight problems the way it is.
  • caseyt
    caseyt Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism Graves disease about five years ago. My heart was racing and I was eating alot and not gaining weight which I loved but was losing muscle tone and sweating at night
    Took medication for a year and so far it has not come back.
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i'm in my second year of remission from thyroid cancer, i have no thyroid, so i'm hypo. you don't realize just how important your thyroid is unti you lose it. i wish you the best of luck!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Oh boy could I tell you some stories about having Grave's disease 12 years ago when I was 19. Sweating, lost so much weight that you could see my bones, and I couldn't lift a two litter bottle of soda for anything, my hair turned white, my eyes started to bulge, and I had suicidal thoughts also. A messed up thyroid can mess up your entire body! I am now hypo- instead of hyper. It is hard for me to lose weight. I've heard that you should eat 5-6 small meals a day to help with that. I don't do that, but I think I have to work out harder than a "normal" person to get the weight off.
    Heatther, I don't know why you would be gaining or not losing weight with hyperthyroidism unless you caught it early and it hasn't had a chance to effect that yet. ??? I don't know. I am glad the doctor caught it for you and you will be getting it treated. It can get scary if you go too long.
    Melissa
  • heatther
    Options
    I could understand if I was hypo but to be hyper and be fat???? I have a friend how also has thyroid cancer so I know what that is all about. I guess I will have to wait and see next thursday what they are going to do with me! I eat and gain 5 lbs! Right now I am at 1000 cals a day and working out atleast 45 minutes and having a hard time dropping the weight!

Thanks everyone for the ideas and help!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Heatther - did they tell you what your tsh level was? That is what they test - if not call dr. office and ask for the number. I wonder if your doc doesn't have it bass-ackwards. (not a good sign!!) See if you can find out the actual result of the tsh screening. - btw, do you have any of the other symptoms of hyper-thyroidism? Like the racing heart, sweating, etc.??
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    :heart:
    awe my poor friend heather!
    i hope eveyrthing works out <3333333
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    they'll likely test not only your tsh but your t3 and t4

hypothyroidism also includes sweating, racing heart and body temperature regulation issues. as was suggested, i'd request a copy of the test results and look them over. if you're not satisfied with your diagnosis, make an appointment with an endocrinologist.
  • heatther
    Options
    I have made an apt with an endocrinologist who my dr referred. I am going to pick up all the blood work, scans and ultrasounds. My symptoms is major weight gain, cold all the time, hungry all the time, very tired, headachs, high blood pressure, problems getting pg, crabby! Well crabby could be from anything! LOL

Thanks bjigglepants for your help and ideas