IT Band, Stretches, and Getting Back to Running

Options
So, my knee is sore. I think I tried to push it too far too fast.

I've looked up some stretches and pre running activities to do prior to running.

How long should I lay off before trying to run again?

I'm going to do the stretches every day, maybe a couple of times per day. I was just getting into a good running groove and don't want to lose ground. I understand that I need to listen to my body and take it easy for a bit though.

In the mean time, is it OK to do things like the Elliptical, Rowing Machine and Bike? I am also swimming now since I am not running.

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    A sore knee does not have to keep you from running, just depends upon how sore. If other activities are not aggregating you should be fine. Do you have a foam roll? If not I recommend one. Very good for the IT band and other things. Make sure you do some butt exercises too. A strong butt helps keep the leg stable and prevent knee problems that are really butt problems. :)
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's sore when I run and I guess I'm just worried that it will get worse and lead to many more problems.

I went out running one day, felt great, limped the next morning (that was new, it never happens).

Now when I run, I feel slight pain in my right knee (Ipronate on that side but where shoe inserts and have for about 4 months). No swelling. I can keep running, I'm just worried if I do, it's going to lead to more problems.

Before putting inserts in my shoes, I had right foot pain, but since putting them in, I had NOTHING, no pain until this.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    As a big guy with a left knee that has been operated on 3 times, I've learned that form is of paramount importance. You should really try to make sure you are landing on either the ball of your foot or mid-foot and not on your heel. Heel-striking causes a huge amount of shock and stress on the legs and knees in particular.

in Born To Run (great book about barefoot running, but that is another story) one of the characters has the following mantra when running.

Easy, Light, Smooth, Fast.

Make sure you right nice and easy and relaxed, cushioning your landing with your legs. Think light, touch the ground as little as possible (quick foot strikes) and then get smoooth where everything is working together and with little effort. Do all that and fast takes care of itself!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    get a foam roller.