Coffee

Options
What do you use to flavor your coffee? I use flavored creamers (Coffeemate) & sugar in my coffee. They taste so good, but are loaded with sugar. I am trying to cut back on my sugar intake. My coffee in the morning is almost 1/2 of my sugar allowance for the day! Any ideas?

Replies

• squintin
    squintin Posts: 1
    Options
    Use milk instead of cream. If you need cream, use a low calorie one and skip the sugar. You'll get used it!
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use nonfat milk, or coffee mate and splenda. Since my dad became diabetic about 8 years ago I have been using splenda in my coffee. It tastes much better than any other sugar substitute but it definitely isn't sugar. Give 'er a go and see if you like it :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk and stevia
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't drink coffee :laugh:
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    It isn't the same, but I've been using stevia and 2% milk. Trying to get used to it.
  • ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I take mine black. I just never saw the point to ruining a perfectly good cup of coffee by putting stuff in it. :bigsmile:
  • KKM89
    KKM89 Posts: 9
    Options
    I use milk and flavored Splenda! They make french vanilla and hazelnut..sooo good!
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    Sugar free creamers!
  • KAskinny
    KAskinny Posts: 50
    Options
    I totally miss my coffee! I haven't been able to find a good sugar sub either. Splenda taste way too much like saccharine and so does Stevia. I have used honey (local of course!) and that is the best sub I've found, but still don't want to have too much of it in a day. I've been drinking hot green tea in the morning in place of my coffee, it doesn't have caffine, but it's hot. . . I know that's not quite the same, but I'm pretending. . . :noway:
  • «lindsay»
    Options
    I use CoffeeMate Chocolate Belgian Toffee, and I will never change, unless they quit making it, but just that, no other creamer or any sugars...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I just had to wean myself off of sugar in my coffee because it was destroying my calorie intake. I do still like some milk in it. I usually use 1/4 cup of skim milk for about an 8-10 oz mug of coffee (I like it milky). I found that in cutting out the sugars and even the artificial sweeteners has made unsweetened foods taste sweeter. I no longer find myself needing to add sweeteners to things as much. If you want a bit of flavor, add some cinnamon to the basket before you brew. Adds a really nice hint of flavor but no calories.

Also, frankly, high quality coffee makes a big difference for me. I had some really terrible coffee this afternoon as a pick-me-up and I found myself needing to add sugar to mask the weird aftertaste it had.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Sugar free flavored syrups
  • arsec4
    arsec4 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sun-Crystals! Only 5 calories per pack! (I used to use like 5-6 packs of sugar for a small coffee. Now I use one packet of Sun-Crystals. It's that sweet!

Oh, and non-dairy creamer is like 10 cal per teaspoon or tablespoon or something. So, my coffe every morning costs me around 35 calories (because I still use a ton of creamer <wink>).

Hope that helps!

PS-Coffee is great for a diet! The caffiene in one cup of joe helps curb hunger pains and stave off your appetite. But don't go coffee crazy or it will mess up yoru metabolism. One cup a day is enough. And feel free to have that cup before your workout. It helps ease muscle soreness and gives you that extra OOMPH to work out a little longer!
  • odessa_raven
    Options
    I actually found it pretty easy to go to flavored creamers without any additional sugar. Even if the creamer isn't sugar-free it's still a bigger bang for your sweet tooth per calorie.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    It was hard, but I started to drink it with just one splenda/stevia packet. Sometimes I even drink it black. I just can't waste my calories on a drink; I would rather eat those calories! I recall having seen a vanilla splenda packet at Kroger but already have a big bag...maybe look into that?
  • courtshort86
    Options
    I drink black coffee everymorning. zero calories and I have HEARD that black coffee is a metabolism booster.

black coffee is defintely an acquired taste.

when I was still "fluffing" my coffee is you please, I would use two packets of EQUAL and a splash of fat free soymilk.

babysteps! try cutting out the creamers first. just cut down to two packets of equal for a few days, then one packet, then POOF! Gone, and you are drinking black coffee!!!

However! It can stain your teeth pretty badly so try drinking it through a straw.

Unless you have problems with acid reflux...then steer clear the straws altogether and go grab some white strips!

good luck! hope this helps!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I even drink it black. I just can't waste my calories on a drink; I would rather eat those calories!

I'm with C.Love. If I had to track coffee, frankly it'd be embarrassing. If you're going to drink it black though, don't go for instant. You need to get yourself a plunger. Don't start out with excessively strong coffee either.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I LOVED all the above, until I lost my sweet-tooth since joining this site and starting my program....I need something tho, so I just got some vanilla soy milk...so excited! Lots of protein and low in all that other bad stuff........Yea, new life!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now I use about 1 tbsp. of sugar & 1 tbsp. of creamer. It is kind of excessive to use both, but I hate the actual taste of black coffee! So I don't think I will be drinking it black anytime soon. But I am going to try to cut the sugar out & I will be trying your suggestions! I defiantly would rather be eating my calories!! Thanks again.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    sugar free syrups are usually flavored with splenda so you don't need to use added sugar. They also have sugar free non dairy creamers, or fat free half and half. hope this helps! you can buy the sugar free syrups at the grocery store or at starbucks!