fasting??

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear. I was speaking specifically to weight loss. My personal opinion is that fasting is on the same level as fad diets and pills. I have seen lots of anecdotal evidence presented but I don't buy it. I am sure there are studies that will laud the benefits of the various methods of fasting. There are studies that laud the benefits of green coffee beans and raspberry ketones too. I don't buy them either. With all that said, if that's what it takes to get someone to a deficit so they become less fat, then I am all for it. As far as other benefits of fasting, I'll leave that argument to others. Again, I am speaking strictly to weight loss.

Ok, weight loss only.

Calories in versus calories out right?

Who cares how they are split up? I split mine 3000 one day and 500 the next. You can split your's 1750/day if you want.

Moving along...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear. I was speaking specifically to weight loss. My personal opinion is that fasting is on the same level as fad diets and pills. I have seen lots of anecdotal evidence presented but I don't buy it. I am sure there are studies that will laud the benefits of the various methods of fasting. There are studies that laud the benefits of green coffee beans and raspberry ketones too. I don't buy them either. With all that said, if that's what it takes to get someone to a deficit so they become less fat, then I am all for it. As far as other benefits of fasting, I'll leave that argument to others. Again, I am speaking strictly to weight loss.

Ok, weight loss only.

Who cares how they are split up? I split mine 3000 one day and 500 the next. You can split your's 1750/day if you want.

Moving along...
    Actually there is some benefit to eating more than once a day and I don't mean 6,7,8.9.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above posters. The correct answer is really "it depends". Not all types of fasting are the same and the correct answer really depends on the individual situation and your specific goals.

I suggest you narrow your focus to a specific type of fasting you are most interested in and then research whether or not it might be beneficial in your situation.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Ok, weight loss only.

Moving along...
    Actually there is some benefit to eating more than once a day and I don't mean 6,7,8.9.

and, as we can see from the extensive research done into fasting, there is benefit to only eating once a day too, or only eating for 3 days a week.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    If anyone still wants to talk about this, I think I should mention my son. Twelve years ago at age 30, like every other male in his family, he started to grow a lower "waist" and a bigger, lower "chest." So he started eating only one meal a day, lunch out with his buddies at work, and he has been a thin person ever since. Twelve years ago, the one meal a day thing was weird! Now, there is a lot of science saying he has probably been right and his fat relatives wrong.

This is how I lose weight the fastest and easiest. Except I would eat a bagel for breakfast and then whatever I wanted for lunch and not eat the rest of the day. I still took in all my calories but I did it all before 2p. I think I might try it again but with healthier food choices.

I believe this is called IF. A lot of people are really raving about this. Many of them are on here with the fittest and most muscular bodies. I just added a man to my friend's list who is buff and wanting to help ppl on here by being their fitness coach. He wrote an entire segment on how IF helps you lose fat and hold onto muscle if it is done at the right times. If you want to read it, email me and I'll direct you to his profile (it's open to the public).I am not comfortable copying and pasting his work anywhere without asking him first.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Gotta ask, are folks who are doing IF doing it for weight loss or for the health benefits?

I've done IF before and although I lost 5lb over the course of a month, I found the mental benefits far outweighed the "weightloss" (still not overly convinced by) benefits. I felt much more alert, concentration increased, slept better, skin was better...
  • ParisKennedy
    ParisKennedy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Gotta ask, are folks who are doing IF doing it for weight loss or for the health benefits?

I've done IF before and although I lost 5lb over the course of a month, I found the mental benefits far outweighed the "weightloss" (still not overly convinced by) benefits. I felt much more alert, concentration increased, slept better, skin was better...

Can you or can someone explain how to do IF for weight loss and to be sure to maintain muscle mass. I feel soo amazing when I fast but I don't understand WHEN to do it. Isn't "when" the key?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's the point of fasting?

Well, some would point out that humans evolved during a time when there wasn't always food available, and eating regular meals 7 days a week is a 21st century Western world luxury.

I've been following Dr Michael Mosley's 5:2 approach for the past couple of months. It was originally conceived as a way of improving health, possibly even living longer , and weight loss was just a side effect. The "science" behind it is that when you are constantly giving your body food, then it constantly makes new cells. Reduce its supply of food, and then your body has to REPAIR its existing cells. It is that repair mode that brings about the health benefits.

Research is ongoing, and some people are wary of it until there's more evidence. That's OK.

Some people develop their own variations as to how much they eat on fasting days, what they count as a "day", how many days a week they do it. That's OK too.

Other benefits I've found are that I've broken my snack habit, I really appreciate the taste of food after a fast, and I also find that there's a slight euphoria during a fast day, probably due to the blood sugar levels.

It isn't for everyone - diabetics and those with a tendency to eating disorders shouldn't try fasting. And it's also not recommended for children or pregnant women (anyone where growing new cells is important).
  • Austintito
    Austintito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fasting is stupid and you'll just ruin your metabolism. You will lose weight even faster if you have a healthy calorie goal and excercise a lot

There is a lot of science that says intermittent fasting is healthy for you. Intermittent fasting is way different from an uncontrolled and random fasting schedule.

This!!

IF is GREAT for weight loss, however its not for everyone. If what you're doing is working stick with it. However if you've hit a brick wall while eating at a caloric defecit, I would suggest looking up intermittent fasting. Don't listen to people saying it will ruin your metabolism like the quote I showed IF is backed by science.. and the "6+ small meals a day boosting your metabo" is actually bro sceience. However what IF is to me, isn't what most people would think of when they hear the word "fasting."
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well said Melaniecheeks . I watched the Panorama Program last week that started the diet and I must say you summarized its scientific findings well. I'm in Australia but the link to the program was posting on the 5:2 group if anyone didn't see it and is interested I can post it here?
    Beavergong
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    What's the point of fasting?

Well, some would point out that humans evolved during a time when there wasn't always food available, and eating regular meals 7 days a week is a 21st century Western world luxury.

I've been following Dr Michael Mosley's 5:2 approach for the past couple of months. It was originally conceived as a way of improving health, possibly even living longer , and weight loss was just a side effect. The "science" behind it is that when you are constantly giving your body food, then it constantly makes new cells. Reduce its supply of food, and then your body has to REPAIR its existing cells. It is that repair mode that brings about the health benefits.

Research is ongoing, and some people are wary of it until there's more evidence. That's OK.

Some people develop their own variations as to how much they eat on fasting days, what they count as a "day", how many days a week they do it. That's OK too.

Other benefits I've found are that I've broken my snack habit, I really appreciate the taste of food after a fast, and I also find that there's a slight euphoria during a fast day, probably due to the blood sugar levels.

It isn't for everyone - diabetics and those with a tendency to eating disorders shouldn't try fasting. And it's also not recommended for children or pregnant women (anyone where growing new cells is important).

Excellent post!

I would also suggest controlled fasting is great for people with emotional over-eating disorders, it teaches you so much about being hungry and what that really means.

its certainly taught me a lot.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Ok, weight loss only.

Moving along...

and, as we can see from the extensive research done into fasting, there is benefit to only eating once a day too, or only eating for 3 days a week.
    You're going to have extremists on both sides of the argument. That being said, do whatever the **** you wanna do.

I fasted during prep (when calories were low) and it worked quite well.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    [
    You're going to have extremists on both sides of the argument. That being said, do whatever the **** you wanna do.

^Making all kindz of sense.

All kindz.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    [

^Making all kindz of sense.

All kindz.
    LOL! I always love your posts.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Can you or can someone explain how to do IF for weight loss and to be sure to maintain muscle mass. I feel soo amazing when I fast but I don't understand WHEN to do it. Isn't "when" the key?

No I can't explain it for weight loss I'm afraid hun as I didn't ever do IF with the intention of losing weight. Sorry.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Ok, weight loss only.

Moving along...

I fasted during prep (when calories were low) and it worked quite well.

Definitely, which is why its great there are a multitude of different ways of going about things in order to achieve the desiredm healthy result. Because all people are different.

If i eat 6 meals a day i would be constantly hungry and i would be constantly thinking about food, i would also have less and less time to spend with my little boys. Not something i want to do. I need to not be a slave to food, fasting is good for me, the difference is, you will not find fasters who 'tell' others that they MUST do this or that, not the same with the other extrmistes though who seem hell bent on telling those who do things differently that they are doing it 'wrong'

this thread is a shining example of that, I have not seen one pro-faster tell one other person that they have to fast to get their desired results, yet we have been called stupid and ill-educated and a variety of other things.

its mental, if you've found something that works for you, great, but dont expect it to work for everyone.
  • Carrieloughran35
    Carrieloughran35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i think fasting good thing have u tried 5.2 diet where u eat 500 cal for 2 days then eat normal for the rest of the week i b doing for 2wk and it great i lost weight from it, it does not make u tied or lack of energy xx
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Fasting is stupid and you'll just ruin your metabolism. You will lose weight even faster if you have a healthy calorie goal and excercise a lot

Seriously? Good lord read up on it before you spout lies and misconceptions about fasting. First of all there is no way it ruins your metabolism and it's not about losing faster it's about losing fat. Good grief why say such silly things. At least KNOW what your talking about before posting it.

Read Eat Stop Eat if you want to know about fasting. At least learn something about it before you post such crap as above.
    love this...lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping because this interests me for if I ever need to lose weight again. Might suit me.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above posters. The correct answer is really "it depends". Not all types of fasting are the same and the correct answer really depends on the individual situation and your specific goals.

I suggest you narrow your focus to a specific type of fasting you are most interested in and then research whether or not it might be beneficial in your situation.

I think that is a fantastic idea. :) Fasting is such a broad term that it can mean a plethora of things.

I'd also like to add that it seems that everyone who has actually TRIED Intermittent Fasting (Warrior Diet, 5:2, Leangains) only has positive things to say about it. I may have missed some posts to the contrary, but I'm pretty sure I read them all. The only people who seem to have anything negative to say are those who haven't tried it. Perhaps the old addage "Don't knock it til you try it" is applicable here?

As I mentioned before, I used to think the idea of fasting was 'stupid', and I still think that those who go on extended (e.g. over 36-48 hours) doing water fasts/cleanses and the like in an attempt to drop pounds quickly might not be doing things the 'right' way, but again, I'm not going to tell someone their way is wrong and mine is right. Up until just now I was a 6-meals-a-day, don't-skip-post-workout-shake kind of girl, and after trying IF I'm glad that I was open-minded and gave it a whirl.