True Calories Burned on Treadmill?

257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Can anyone recommend a calculator that returns relatively true calories burned based on various factors?

I just finished an hour of a brisk walking pace on my decent quality treadmill. Got gym quality but not Walcrapper quality either. I am tired of guessing. I have been losing at a nice pace for 7 weeks now but I have been using MFP numbers and recording 2/3 of my actual minutes. I would love a better method!

Male
245 lbs
60 minutes
2.9 MPH
1% incline

MFP 998
My Nordic treadmill display 356
Various online tools 450- 680

That's a huge spread when I am trying to stay in a +/- 100 calorie goal.

Any advice is always appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Honestly I'd get a heart rate monitor. But for now I'd go with what the TM says you burned. 998 seems like a lot but I don't know. Do you put your weight in your TM when you start a program? And how brisk is "brisk"?

My HRM is 100 or so calories more than what my TM at home says (50-80 less than the gym).
  • 257_Lag
    My treadmill doesn't allow me to add individual stats :cry:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    To me your treadmill sounds like it might know what it is talking about.
    Just going by what I do on the treadmill, my weight (lower), how fast (near run), and incline (3+), I burn 100 calories per mile.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    +1 for the HRM I am doing the C25K program and Im averaging 138 heart rate and that's 400 calories in 30 minutes
  • 257_Lag
    Can't stand the strap of a real HRM but I have a quality HR watch and spot check every 20 minutes or so. At the stats I mentioned I run about 140 which is my target. That still puts me in the 450-800 range based on responses. Guess I will keep using MFP @ 2/3 since it seems to be working. I would welcome any other responses though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Can anyone recommend a calculator that returns relatively true calories burned based on various factors?

I just finished an hour of a brisk walking pace on my decent quality treadmill. Got gym quality but not Walcrapper quality either. I am tired of guessing. I have been losing at a nice pace for 7 weeks now but I have been using MFP numbers and recording 2/3 of my actual minutes. I would love a better method!

Male
    245 lbs
    60 minutes
    2.9 MPH
    1% incline

MFP 998
    My Nordic treadmill display 356
    Various online tools 450- 680

That's a huge spread when I am trying to stay in a +/- 100 calorie goal.

Any advice is always appreciated! Thanks

First of all, FWIW, there is no way you are going to stay in a +/- 100 calorie range unless you live and work in a calorimeter 24 hr a day.

If you are not holding on to the handrails, you are burning about 400 calories per hour, based on your weight and reported workload.

If you want to get the exact equations, google ACSM Metabolic Equations.

The equations for treadmill walking are the most accurate you can find without using a metabolic cart. They are more accurate than an HRM.
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm 246 and I average about 350-400 calories on the tread for 30 minutes at 6.0 (10 min mile).. There is no way you are burning 800 calories walking @ 2.9 for an hour. If your really serious about being as accurate as possible (+/- 100 calories) you'll get over the strap issue and use an HRM.