Yoga for men.

Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was doing yoga at 270+ pounds. Did my huge gut get in the way at times? Yes, but I still got plenty of benefits. I improved my flexibility a ton and I believe that helped get rid of some back pain. Ignore the guys in the yoga posters and do what you want to do.

I was doing it at 220 and 6 ft.

It helped in many ways. There are poses where you just need to take it a bit lighter but you learn.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes it is a Combine..... A big one at that....
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned already but P90X is a more upper body engaging yoga where you can do a push up with each chataranga.

The guys that I see in hot yoga classes are really muscular and have women all putty for their every dog move.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga is actually great for men, and a lot of women do it as well. I just started doing it a couple weeks ago.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are men really that insecure that they need "for men" tacked onto a couple of thousand year old traditional exercise routine in order to check it out? My ex did yoga as part of physio and he said it helped him a lot, men are less flexible than woman naturally but I don't see why that should deter you
  • lauly101
    lauly101 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brandon74, DDP is good. My husband bought it a while back (basically because he likes DDP/WWE etc) and he really likes it. Plus I just like DDP and all his sucess stories with aged, drugs and injury addled old pro wrestlers. I'd give it a go - have a look at his website.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Are men really that insecure that they need "for men" tacked onto a couple of thousand year old traditional exercise routine in order to check it out? My ex did yoga as part of physio and he said it helped him a lot, men are less flexible than woman naturally but I don't see why that should deter you

just like many women are intimidated and insecure about lifting weights, men can also be insecure about going to a yoga class. we have the same fear as you all do- looking silly, getting it wrong, or whatever.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

yeah, it's not like women are insecure about the free weight section of gyms or anything
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I love the guys in my yoga classes. Some were really good, and they all were trying. Yoga is cool that way, where it's known that everyone has different flexibility limitations especially at first. It's not competitive.

That said, I did have a male teacher who was awful that way. It was an advanced class, but he literally talked about feeling the burn, etc. He chided me in front of everyone to keep my arms up longer, but that's a modification I have to do for my bad upper back. Most of the class was basically pushups, btw. So you can find yoga instructors who try to make it into something it's not, and I don't know that looking for a male teacher specifically will help you find your own pace. I got a kid's soccer team coach vibe off that guy ;)
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My favorite yoga instructor is male (and moving out of state in two weeks :( boo) and he's the best instructor I've ever had.

Yoga was traditionally a mostly male, spiritual thing, until it started being incorporated into the exercise world. I'm not a male, but there are tons of guys with many different physiques in my yoga classes, and they all love it. Flexibility may be weak point, but yoga is about a lot more than just being flexible, and there are a million modifications to make each pose do-able while still working the same areas.

Also, I'd stay away from any instructors that emphasize "feeling the burn" or "working past the pain." That's how you end up injured. The instructors at my gym all say, "Yoga is no pain, no pain, not no pain, no gain" and "do what feels good, if it doesn't feel good don't do it." There's a lot of emphasis on listening to your body and doing what works for you. I follow that, and I'm still seeing incredible improvements in my flexibility, strength, and balance.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is not a tall, thin beanpole and he does yoga with me. Some of the poses are hard (for both of us. Neither of us being particularly flexible), but it's really good for building strength and increasing what little flexibility we have. I'd say go for it. There are some great videos online. I'm especially fond of power yoga.

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekanderson2000
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I started Bikram Yoga about 6 months ago due to an ankle injury from running. At first I thought they were trying to kill me but now I look forward to getting to class. I am a 55 year old guy, 6'-1" tall and about 195 lbs. and am accepted just like everyone else. We are all there to work out and work on our bodies, it's not a dating service or a fashion show. I go to Bikram Yoga Philadelphia almost every weekday usually at 6 am and even attend 4 hour posture clinics.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have a huge over 6' tall cousin who does yoga. He swears by it for his back. He modifies the moves though. For his back, not for his manhood.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Others have said it but it's worth reiterating:

DON'T force your body into the position that "looks" right. Listen to the instructor about what the goal of the pose is and only go as far as you can/need to to feel that particular stretch. Everyone started at the beginning too.
    When doing a seated forward fold, my ex used to just contort his back all rounded and crazy because hehadtoreachisfeetgoddammit!!!
    I, on the other hand, may have only leaned forward a few inches and been far far away from my feet, but my back was flat and I was getting the stretch where I was supposed to.

And remember, when you feel stupid because your head is between your legs.... so is everyone else's and they can't see you anyway. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is there even a difference? All the guys that I see doing yoga are tall bean poles that are actually able to get into these pretzel like poses. Being 6'0 220 and built more like a linebacker I feel like I could get some benefit from doing yoga but my body type is just going to prevent me from doing things properly.
    Naw, just because they lack meat, doesn't mean you have to lack meat to do it. At my tubby tubbiest I was enjoying Yoga both for the way it made me feel, and what I got to ogle from the back of the room.
    Or are there styles of yoga that are geared towards people like me?
    I'd be super vigilant, sounds like any "tailored to dudes" would be someone trying to capitalize on a trend that moved on a few years ago. Basically though, there are several different legit schools of yoga, all are cool and offer different things. Personally, I did a variant of hot yoga, and it was pretty awesome. 90 degrees in winter is kinda badass.
    I dont know if Im just short changing myself when it comes down to the flexibility part of this but some of these things i look at and im like my body would just get int he way and no amount of flexibility would change that
    The flexibility comes. If you're worried about being able to get into the poses, then get into the pose, and your body will come to adjust. You'll be good to go.

Just do it man.

EDIT- FMR, I just answered a ****ing necro. Boooo.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm short and stocky and do yoga just fine.

It's not predacted on how tall and willowy you are. It's built on flexibility, mobility and isometric strength.

There is obviously a stereotype that the OP's thinking conforms to. That stereotype is a load of bollocks, frankly.

If I think of a couple of guys that were/are great at yoga, they're definitely not tall and willowy:

Iyengar:
    lead3.jpg

Rodney Yee:
    absyogaforbeginners.jpg

David Robson:
    David-9255.jpg
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite teachers, does not look like a bean pole at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjKXcTlMHc
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    There's a chance for me yet then - 5'3" and progressing fine. I think the shorter you are the more crucial it becomes to drop any excess fat so it is not obstructing some of the more advanced postures, but that is not a bad thing generally.

I would say it is my belly roll that gets in the way of my yoga progress than being short in stature or limbs; a work in progress.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I had a 4 hour class with this guy on Saturday: http://www.josephencinia.com/photos-videos/birthplace-of-a-yoga-champion/

Check him out!!!