Healthy snacks for a student on a budget

Options
Hi! I am still somewhat new to the weight loss world, and I was wondering what some cheap, healthy (and yummy!) would be? I know the basics: apples, celery, etc... But, as a student, I find myself eating the quick and easy snacks like chips and all those sorts of things :(.

What I am looking for is something a bit more appealing than celery.. It's so plain :(.

Please help! I have my graduation next year, and I'd love to be able to wear whatever dress I want, instead of trying to cover my stomach or arms...

Thank you.

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    To make fruit more interesting, I have a basic fruit dip recipe that is low cal and feels a little more like a treat. Mix fat-free sour cream with a bit of brown sugar and vanilla. I think I do 1/2 cup sour cream to 1 Tbsp brown sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Delicious!

Other cheap things I snack on are string cheese and hard-boiled eggs - I do these as a pre-workout snack about an hour before exercising because they have a fair amount of protein.

As a student this can be tough, but keep an eye out for coupons and buy things when they are on sale. String cheese can be kind of expensive but you can get a bunch of it on sale and freeze it!
  • seif0068
    Options
    Fat-free Greek yogurt is another good one...again, can be spendy but if you find coupons or wait for sales it can be a lot more reasonable!
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just recently found plentils and I love them, they are lentil chips and only 130 calories per serving (31 pieces)...great for when you need a salty crunchy fix
  • seif0068
    Options
    Oh and Townhouse reduced fat crackers - there are 60 calories in 6 crackers. I will have those with string cheese when I want something kind of salty!
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    Zesty Ranch Veggie Straws are delicious so are the Apple Straws or popcorn with out butter, but you can add some ranch mix or grating cheese to it. :flowerforyou: Trader Joe's has lots of different kinds of crackers that are good too.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Have your celery with hummus or peanut butter. It's basically pre-shaped for putting stuff on it haha.

Make your own little snack packs in ziploc bags. Separate out servings of vegetables, nuts, cereals. There are healthier kinds of chips and stuff too if you look around (vegetable chips, whole-grain chips, just chips made naturally aren't bad for you, they're just potato and oil.) Also eat eggs (hard-boiled is convenient), cheese - usually also goes well with fruit and veg, greek yogurt, different kinds of milk, little portions of meat and fish.

Get creative! Anything you like to eat, there's probably a healthier alternative to it and a way to make it quick and portable.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt! if you can get it on sale

I also shop with the fruit sales. Today red and green seedless grapes were on sale for $1.50/ lbs so I bought those. Bananas are always cheap. Do you have a grocery store that you shop at regularly? look at their sale cycle!
  • angiematthews
    angiematthews Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    16 chocolate animal crackers in a snack size baggie =130 calories
    8 reduced fat wheat thins with a 35 calorie wedge of laughing cow cheese =<100 calories
    potato straws 38 of them =130 calories
    serving size of your favorite cereal, dry (and preferably not the sugary kind) is really good when you are hungry
    navel oranges =70 cal. (I have to MAKE myself eat fruit, and if I peel it in the morning and put it in a little plastic container, I'll eat it)
    100 cal popcorn
    sf/ff pudding made with skim milk and topped with FF cool whip
    string cheese
    any type of leftover lean meat (from last nights dinner)
    boiled egg

These are some of the things I could think of off the top of my head, that I eat as snacks.