what do YOU do when you hit a plateau?

Options
Hey everyone!
I have had an eventful year full of weight loss! Now that I am down to my last 10-15 pounds to lose, I CANNOT lose any more!! It has been a very frustrating and stressful few months, so I am wondering what you guys do when you have hit the dreaded plateau?
Thanks!

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    what you guys do when you have hit the dreaded plateau?

I try to eat @TDEE for 3 weeks minimum. I'm on a time crunch, so I cannot opt to do it for a longer duration, which would really be my preference. Good luck!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 3-5 pounds away from goal. Totally frozen on plateau - plan is to cut sugar to get to goal. No more random sweet snacks regardless of low total calorie count. I'm upping protein and watching glycemic index here to the goal post!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    TDEE till you maintain then cut at 10-15% on rest days.
  • mom2klr
    mom2klr Posts: 5
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Clean up, drink some juice, then do it all over again
  • kris_root_2014
    kris_root_2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I try to eat @TDEE for 3 weeks minimum. I'm on a time crunch, so I cannot opt to do it for a longer duration, which would really be my preference. Good luck!
    [/quote]

[/quote]

What is TDEE?
    [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. What is TDEE?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hit some carbs for a couple of days? Then go back to what you were doing?

I can not see your diary so I am presuming you are eating healthy and clean???
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    To properly understand TDEE et al, I recommend you both read this post written by sarauk2sf: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

ETA: remove quotes
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    To properly understand TDEE et al, I recommend you both read this post written by sarauk2sf: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This works as well
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    Thanks Helloitsdan. :)
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If that picture in your profile is you, you look great already! Is it at all possible your scale goal isn't probable? Do you have a BF% goal? It seems like so many of us get caught up on the number on the scale that we forget that it isn't an omnipotent indication of being in shape. :)
  • obiwankendrobi
    obiwankendrobi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat/drink more water.
    *Ketogenic Diet*
  • kerrykelly2
    kerrykelly2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If that picture in your profile is you, you look great already! Is it at all possible your scale goal isn't probable? Do you have a BF% goal? It seems like so many of us get caught up on the number on the scale that we forget that it isn't an omnipotent indication of being in shape. :)

Thank youuu! yes, it is me. I hoped to get a little smaller, since I am not on spring break, but everyone has great suggestions. Thank you all!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!!!

Sara explains it all in a concise, easy to read way that makes SO much sense. She knows her stuff!
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    i just have a massive blow out binge for about 3 days then carry on, it works ha
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Research, research, research. I re-read the threads that have already been linked and then I go looking for the 'problem' sometimes I just re-run my numbers with my new lower weight because I haven't done it for a while. Sometimes I am just retaining water or have been eating too much salt. Sometimes my routine has changed and I haven't compensated or I have gotten lazy with my weighing. Most recently I think I still wasn't eating enough so I got a fitbit and increased my calories for the past month + - the weight is starting to shift again.

When I get frustrated I re-read what the 'healthy' losses should be and I see that even though I think that I am taking a VERY long time to lose weight I have only about 40 lbs to go and I am still dropping about 1 lb/week . When you are very close to your goal weight you need to be SO spot on with everything.. just an extra 100 calories a day (which can be attributed to rounding and weighing errors) can almost erase your 10% deficit. Most of all patience is key, a 'plateau' isn't just a couple of weeks (or even a month) - that's just a bad week (s).
  • lisajjeffery
    Options
    I usually stop dieting for a week or 2, I just maintain my weight, I don't go mad and binge. But I then find once I start the diet and exercise again I lose another 1-2lbs in the first week
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    what you guys do when you have hit the dreaded plateau?

I am doing exactly this. I have plateaued at around 134-138lbs and don;t seem to move from this and haven;t done for 2-3 months. I have been ill which hasn't helped.

I am eating my TDEE now for the next 3-4 weeks to try and reset. I was eating 1200-1370 calories and quite frankly I believe my body has gone into starvation mode which is why i'm not losing. xxx
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've hit one too! For 38 weeks I didn't gain one single pound....and I lost 39lbs. Then two weeks ago I gained two pounds, and it's stayed the same this week. I only have 13lbs to go (though it was 11, womp). So many people have said increase your calories...I had mine set at 1200. So that's what I plan to do, along with eat simplier, cleaner for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it works. I'm really anxious to get to my goal already!!