qu for the ladies: missed periods

Options
how many skipped periods warrants a trip to my gyno? I haven't had a real once since December (though I spotted really lightly for a day in January). I also didn't have a period in November and had previously been pretty regular.

just to give a bit of background,

I work out a bit (running about 20-25 miles/week and strength training 2x/week), but I don't think I am undereating--the past few weeks i have been eating around 1800-1900 (netting around 1500), though i will admit the first few months on MFP (july-november) I was probably cutting too many calories (eating 1200-1400, netting anywhere from 800-1200). I've upped my calories quite a bit since January, have mostly maintained my weight since then, but periods have not returned. Even though I am maintaining my weight, is it possible I am not eating enough? I find myself binging once every 2-3 weeks (eating perhaps 3500-4000 calories), and have read some articles about hormones getting messed up from undereating/over-training with missed periods and occasional binge eating resulting in some cases.

i am 5'5, weight 140 pounds and am roughly 25% body fat, if that makes a difference and starting at 168 pounds, and probably 31% bf back in july. in my mind the rate of weight loss wasn't anything ridiculous, and my body fat isn't that low that this should be happening.

Replies

• xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First off! The obvious question... there is no chance of being pregnant right? I would pee on a stick JUST in case....
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First off! The obvious question... there is no chance of being pregnant right? I would pee on a stick JUST in case....

If there is no possible way for you to be pregnant.. unless it is another baby Jesus.. I would make an appt. asap.. Get everything checked out. If something is wrong you want to catch it early.. problems down there can lead to infertility.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First off, the obvious question is: Have you ruled out pregnancy? That is the most likely cause of missed periods in healthy adult women. If you are working out as much as you are, it is entirely possible to not even know you are pregnant (not showing, few symptoms etc). There is even a TV show about women who are surprised by giving birth to children they had no idea they were carrying.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

If there is no possible way for you to be pregnant.. unless it is another baby Jesus.. I would make an appt. asap.. Get everything checked out. If something is wrong you want to catch it early.. problems down there can lead to infertility.

lol sadly no way i am pregnant right now. Based on where my cycle was a few months ago i *should* be getting it right around now this month but don't think it's going to happen. i will wait a few more days and make an appointment if not as this will be the 3rd I'm missing in a row so I wasn't sure how many warrants true concern
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    The only time I missed periods was when I was pregnant. I spotted with both.

Get to the dr asap so whatever it is doesn't have a chance to get worse.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First off, the obvious question is: Have you ruled out pregnancy? That is the most likely cause of missed periods in healthy adult women. If you are working out as much as you are, it is entirely possible to not even know you are pregnant (not showing, few symptoms etc). There is even a TV show about women who are surprised by giving birth to children they had no idea they were carrying.

that is my biggest nightmare, those shows freak me out (i'm single and no where near ready for that!). but no, i am 100% sure that i am not pregnant
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and didn't get my periods since last November. No spots. It's either the beginning of menopause or eating too few calories or too much exercising (pregnant is not an option ;) Spoke to doc about it last week. Nothing to worry about he said... Still, I always feel like "on the standby". It is getting on my nerves...
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you're eating healthy (and enough!) and getting enough water, I would definitely go make an appointment, just to be safe. I've skipped one here and there before, but two or more in a row while not on a birth control that causes such things is definitely a sign you should have a checkup.
  • laeyuhh_cee
    Options
    hey, I have no idea how to post a question (recently downloaded this app. :/) but I'm 8 - 10 days late since my last period (32 - 34 day cycles) and I've recently lost 5-6 pounds in three weeks.
    the last app I used restricted me to only 930 calories per day it barely hit me how ridiculous that was.
    I went from completely inactive to exercising on an elliptical trainer 45 - 60 minutes per day, 6 days per week.
    I'm nervous about not having any signs of PMS and/or pregnancy symptoms this month/last few weeks and the last time I was irregular was back in November and my period arrived about 13 days late after gaining 10 pounds. :/ lol

long post short, (sorry), what do you think? pregnant or not? I'm planning on taking a test if it doesn't arrive in about 5 days.
    just getting a little nervous. :/

anything helps, thanks.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Are you an any contraception that may be affecting your cycle?
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    edit just because.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and didn't get my periods since last November. No spots. It's either the beginning of menopause or eating too few calories or too much exercising (pregnant is not an option ;) Spoke to doc about it last week. Nothing to worry about he said... Still, I always feel like "on the standby". It is getting on my nerves...
    YOU should join us here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

:flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing on the weekends lately?

RpbYplV.gif
  • laeyuhh_cee
    Options
    none what so ever.