I don't like a lot of fruits or veggies. What do I do?!!?

Options
13»

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Many vegetable recipes can be sweetened initially, then taper off the sweetening. Many people don't like the basic bitter component in many vegetables so sweetening helps get started. Look up a recipe for glazed carrots to get an idea of the preparation. Many vegetables can be treated this way.

^^^This + Roasting caramelizes the sugars in things. Cheese sauce works too, then over time taper. Worked for me!
    ETA ooh and hollandaise.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is made from cacao beans, which is a fruit.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've tried asking for fresh green beans, but mom says they aren't any good. As for breakfast, since I have to be at the bus stop by 6:20. It's hard to get breakfast in. Lately I've been having one of the bagel thins with peanut or regular butter( with olive oil). It has been making my stomach feel queasy in the morning though. The only time I have a reliable breakfast is Saturdays. :cry:

Have you asked about the frozen/steam in a bag veggies. They have a less sodium and taste closer to fresh, also they aren't mushy like canned veggies.

When I was in school I also could not eat in the morning - it made me queasy. You could pack something to take with you to snack on when your stomach is more awake [which is what I did]. Here are some ideas, cereal/granola bar, a pb&j sandwich, dry cereal in a sandwich bag, "gorp" [peanuts, raisins, m&m's, etc., whatever you like and can fit in a sandwich bag].
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Try and try again until you have a taste for it. I loathed tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom and bell pepper as a child. Now all of these things are eaten almost daily, I can't get enough. If you think of your food in terms of health and nutritional benefits rather than yumminess, the good for you fruits and veg start to look a whole lot better.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    do you like smoothies? try mixing it up in a smoothie
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Try and try again until you have a taste for it. I loathed tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, mushroom and bell pepper as a child. Now all of these things are eaten almost daily, I can't get enough. If you think of your food in terms of health and nutritional benefits rather than yumminess, the good for you fruits and veg start to look a whole lot better.

This!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on fruits or veggies either, but I have an oatmeal pancake recipe that sneaks in a banana and then if you want to add blueberries and they are delicious...if you're interested.

Otherwise, smoothies are great for getting your fruit and veggies.
  • amazinglymeen
    Options
    For fruit I make Smoothies.

Or cut up and mix with Greek Yoghurt.

I've always loved Vegetables, but you could try a sprinkle of 'Vegeta' on them while cooking.

Or grate them all up and make fritters, with onion, a dash of nutmeg..some garlic...yum!

I'm also big on making smoothies and Greek yogurt! Also, try cutting the fruit into small bits and putting.it in yogurt. Might mask the fact that Ur actually eating whole fruit while also having yogurt. Greek yogurt can have lots of carbs in the fruit ones

SW: 206 lbs
    CW: 206 lbs
    GW: 175 lbs
    Plan: Low carb, high fiber & protein, exercising 45 mins per day, 5 days per week

Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Best,
    Meenah :)
  • toritoriprind
    toritoriprind Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like this. It only got better with trying things over and over and making a concerted effort to train my taste buds to like them. I really figured out that it wasn't so much the taste for me but a texture thing, something about the crunchy, wet, porous texture is really hard for me (still is to be hones, but I'm working on it). So i started out by 'hiding' vegetables in my food, like grating carrots and pureeing spinach to add to pasta sauce. Also trying veggies at restaurants, they're usually so well prepared and seasoned that you discover that you don't actually hate them, you were just making them wrong (I had this discovery recently with cauliflower lol). Good luck, keep add it and your body will catch on.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    who ever said you had to eat plain old boring veggies anyway? Do what I do with my kids, I grate fresh as many different veggies into my slow cooker and make bolognaise sauce, or saute and make a chicken dish with a creamy sauce to serve with rice.
    Mabye coz you are used to the high sodium tinned stuff thats why normal veggies taste yucky?
    Get on the web and look at recipes and get creative, you'll surprise yourself.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Your taste buds sometimes change as you get older, so it could be that things you didn't like as a child, you might like now. There are so many benefits to veggies and fruits, not only for their nutritional values but also because they are great "fillers" meaning you can get full or satisfied with them and eat less of the higher calorie foods. Experiment a little and you might find ways to prepare them that you like or at least be able to tolerate them. One of my favorites is asparagas roasted in the oven with a little olive oil drizzled over it and seasoning.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a health class in high school yet? Do your parents know what you are eating? You are going to be very sick if you aren't already. You are getting practically zero nutrition. Take care of yourself, no one is going to do it for you.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    OK this might sound crazy, but get to the point where you're starving (I mean just really hungry not starving starving), and then try something new. At that point everything will taste great and you'll remember the good flavor of it rather than the blandness that you get when you're really not hungry but rather just craving something.

PS. kit kats? really? I like chocolate but that crap is the cheapest kind of chocolate you can get, ugh.. What stops me from stuffing my face with chocolate is thinking how all that nasty fat, sugar, preservatives, artificial flavors and other junk will stick to my thighs, creating cellulite. Stops me right in my tracks. : D