Help! How do I survive all the appetizers this weekend???

Options
merguson
merguson Posts: 281 Member
I have a get together with friends and everyone will be bringing an appetizer. I know that almost all appetizers are high in calories and/or fat. Do you have any healthier, low cal appetizer ideas that I could bring besides fresh veggies? I know it's going to be sooo hard to not eat all the yummy food that will be there, so I figure if I can bring something low cal at least I can munch on something?? Any hints or tips on surviving this without going calorie crazy??? All my friends love to cook so I know the foods will be more than just spinich dip. I also have to bring a drink (that will be judged on appearance and taste, lol) but that's a whole other post!! LOL Gotta love the challenges on the weekend (said with sarcasm). insert big sigh here...:frown:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I went to myrecipies.com and found these appetizers from Cooking Light: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/gallery/0,28548,1932289_1971694,00.html

It also gives the calorie info for most of them
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    We had an evening get together with friends and also had the appetizers as the main course. I made sure I had plenty of calories allocated and snuck peaks at the nutritional information and chose those items that would give me the most food for my calories. And I kept a mental tally in my head of how many calories I ate and once I ran out of available calories to eat I stopped. I also drank plenty of water and spread out the food instead of eating it all at once, which helped.

If you want, try eating an apple with peanut butter or some other low calorie/high carb/fiber snack before going because it's makes it harder to snack if you're not hungry!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You could take mini eggplant parmigianas. I haven't seen a recipe or know the calories, but I am envisioning little slices of grilled eggplant (takes about 30 minutes in the oven, no oil necessary), topped with a bit of ricotta or goat's cheese and some fresh tomato. Provided you moderate, this is the type of thing that shouldn't blow your calorie count.
  • lilgriffon
    Options
    http://www.recipezaar.com/ has some GREAT ideas and they include the nutritional values, which most sites don't do.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website and recipe ideas so far! Keep em coming! I'm still undecided as to what to make. I'll have to post back after the event and let you know how it went. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds themselves in this unstable environment!:laugh: