Stuck in a rut

I suffered a horrible injury 2 years ago and it set me back big time. I could no longer do a lot of things because of the pain and my weight has become uncontrollable. I have used the site for a while now, but whereas I feel that at 1200 calories a day is not ideal for my size/weight, I do stick to a strict intake of no more than 1500 apart from the odd day.

I am just starting to become more active, albeit anything low impact and not too strenuous. But I look in the mirror and I am disgusted with what has happened to me.

I have gained 2, almost 3 clothes sizes and I am so depressed it's unbelievable.
My partner loves me as I am, and in fact would like me to stay as I am, but he also understands that I am not happy and in the long run, health-wise, I do need to lose weight.
Ideally, I would like to lose 2st, 28lbs, by the summer. Realistically I'm not sure how I can do this.

I really need a boost, a help, not a quick fix, but something drastic,

Help.

Replies

• That's horrible that you feel like that. I've done the same thing but minus an injury! Don't get so down on yourself it won't do you any good. Maybe try reducing your calorie intake from 1500 to 1400? Also I'm starting a 30 day shred tomorrow if you want to do with me :) xxx
  • What's that?!
    Thank you. It sucks and it's really pissing me off.
  • Ah, just saw. Unfortunately that's a no no for me :(
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    you have to keep at it. Don't give up. Are you eating enough to at the very least get your BMR?
  • I've looked at myself in the mirror many times and have felt the same. Its a terrible feeling, but i am now deciding that this is enough..i am going to take charge of my life. I just joined a group on here yesterday, its being organized by a personal trainer/nutritionist...maybe you should join as well,its a 12 week challenge. Life happens, we all go through some low points..i want to loose 27 pounds by the end of june...it seems like so much when i think of the whole number so i ve decided to take it 5 pounds at a time. I will announce every time i loose 5 pounds...my every 5 pounds is going to be celebrated..baby steps..but at the end i m going to feel amazing...maybe you should try that. You can do this.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    I suffered a shoulder injury last year, not nearly as severe as what you went through. Because I was in a new state and didn't have a dr, it took me 2 months just to be seen by a dr and then another 2 months before I could get any pain pills or PT. All the while during those 4 months my shoulder just kept getting worse. I couldn't move my arm an inch. Even moving my other arm caused my injured arm to go into severe pain. About the only thing I did for those months was sit, because no matter what I did it caused me pain and sitting was the lesser pain. Even the vibration from walking would send me to tears. I probably gained 10 lbs and lost muscle tone. I lost all muscle tone in the injured arm, I was just bone and loose skin. I went through 3 months of PT. I am at about 90% better. I still can't put my arm behind my back without pain. I only needed the pain meds about 6 weeks so have been off those since mid December. I am now exercising and lifting weights. I think it is going to take me a year for my injured arm to gain back all the muscle tone and range of motion, but I am working hard at it. I hope to enjoy my summer this year. My injury occurred on July 4th. When I went to put on my dress pants for Christmas day and they were too small, I decided when I was finished with PT, I need to do something. I finished up with PT mid January and started MFP on February 1st.

I think you are going to have to do baby steps with what you are not restricted on and go from there. It is going to take a lot longer than if you didn't have the injury, but you will get there.
  • blisser99
    blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
    I feel the same way. Good job on the counting calories. As far as exercise, start slow. Walking, bicycling, dancing. These things seem simple to the average person, but they can really get your heart rate going. Feel free to add me for support/motivation. Good luck in your journey.
  • Thank you, all of you. It's just been so long, and yesterday they finally said they're going to refer me for surgery. For something so small, it's just depressed the hell out of me when I look at the impact it has had on my life. x