Strong Lifts 5x5 advice

Options
Hey guys how are you doing?

I'm currently doing strong lifts 5x5. I'd like to add some exercises to the program. I sort of feel like some muscle groups aren't worked out as much. If you're on the same program and trying to do more as well can you advise me on what other exercises are good?

Thanks a lot guys.

Keep up the good work.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Which groups do you feel aren't worked?
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Which groups do you feel aren't worked?

My question too. Maybe biceps? But rows work them, indirectly.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing strong lifts? and also wondering which muscles you think arent being worked.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5
    Push-ups 3xF
    Reverse Crunches 3x12

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pull-ups 3xF
    Prone Bridges 3x30sec

This is what was suggested for assistance exercises in strong lifts version 2. I haven't gotten to version 3 yet to see what the new suggested ones would be but I would assume they haven't changed too much.

I dont know if you're early into the program or not but Im in week 14 and it would be a stretch to get these exercises in as I'm already beat from the other 3 exercises. In the beginning I felt like I needed to do more because I wasn't feeling it in certain muscles. When really I just wasn't lifting enough yet to feel them.

But good luck in whichever you plan to do.
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Hey guys.

Thanks for the input. Sorry couldn't answer right away.

I feel like the bicepts and core aren't getting as much of a workout with this program. Also, I know the bench press is great. Especially when I get into heavy weights there. I just wanted to may be do some incline bench pressing as well. And dipps too.

I'll keep on working with 5x5 for now. I'm sure that once I hit the heavy weights in a month or two I'll have my hands full lol

Thanks again guys. Keep up the great work
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The beauty of SL is the simplicity and sheer effectiveness. It doesn't need to be over complicated but if you really feel biceps are neglected, do some curls I guess. No reason not to if you got the time!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.

Thanks for the input. Sorry couldn't answer right away.

I feel like the bicepts and core aren't getting as much of a workout with this program. Also, I know the bench press is great. Especially when I get into heavy weights there. I just wanted to may be do some incline bench pressing as well. And dipps too.

I'll keep on working with 5x5 for now. I'm sure that once I hit the heavy weights in a month or two I'll have my hands full lol

Thanks again guys. Keep up the great work

Keep in mind that the program is largely for building a good foundation of functional strength. You will eventually get to a point where you stop making those strength gains and you'll have to branch out. Once you have that good base of strength, you can look into other lifting applications and determine which direction you want to go..i.e. Power, Strength, Bodybuilding, etc.

Just stick with the program as is for now...you'll appreciate it more down the road.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For core I suggest planks. 3 sets of 1 minute each (at least).

You can make them progressively more difficult thru variations. For example, elevate your feet by placing them on the bench or a Swiss ball. Next, elevate your feet using the bench and place your forearms on a Swiss ball. Increase the amount of time to 2 minutes per set. Squeeze your belly!
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    do curls and abs

/thread
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    do the 5 core lifts along with chin ups plus abs and calves if you like. if you feel like you need to add any other isos, just add them on day 3 so you have an extra day of recovery afterwards.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about the core work. Once your squats and deads get up there your core will be worked better than any ab isolation exercise will provide.
  • vinchass9
    vinchass9 Posts: 36
    Options
    Follow the program for longer than 6 months and then see what needs to be addressed.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about the core work. Once your squats and deads get up there your core will be worked better than any ab isolation exercise will provide.
    Word. My core is taking a beating. On week 3 only. My abs are sore from squatting.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mateo1985
    Options
    Yeah I agree with you guys. I'm in for just over a month with this program and I already feel how much better it gets with every training session. Even now my muscles are being challeged so I'm looking forward to doing it for it atleast a year.

Thanks again. This is really a great community with a lot of help and support!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DIPS AND PULL UPS BRAAHHHH!:glasses:
  • danimalkeys
    Options

QFT, you don't need anything else. My legs get worked enough by running. They are HYOOOGE and ripped.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

QFT, you don't need anything else. My legs get worked enough by running. They are HYOOOGE and ripped.

Dude whats QFT?? is that MFP code for awesome???
  • danimalkeys
    Options

Dude whats QFT?? is that MFP code for awesome???

"quoted for truth"
  • Mateo1985
    Options
    Hey guys,

Now that I'm two months into the program I run into an issue. Doing Overhead Press standing up is becoming increasingly difficult for me. During the training session this morning I was Overhead Pressing with 90 lbs. On 4th and 5th set I really had a hard time balancing myself to stand up straight in one place. I completed sets 1 through 3 but couldn't do more than 3 reps on the last two.

My core seems to be very weak. Especially the lower back. I'm starting to feel discomfort there while doing Overhead Press and deadlifts. I realize that my form is probably wrong. I'm doing my best to keep my back straight but I'm not a small percentage of the time. I feel like the weak lower back is preventing me from doing the workout with better form.

So my question to SL 5x5 users is what do you do when Overhead Press is becoming difficult? I'll try to do a few extra exercises to make my lower back stronger until it's able to keep up.

As always thank you guys. I really appreciate the advice.

P.S. Does the 3rd version of SL5x5 really have inverted rows instead of barbell rows? That exercise is also tough for me because of the lower back so inverted rows are probably better for me now anyway. Have a great day.