Can Someone Explain 40/30/30

Hi,

I searched for a thread explaining this and couldn't find one so I thought I'd ask. I see some people on here talking about "eating 40/30/30", and I know it means 40% carbohydrates / 30% fat / 30% protein, but I've never really heard anything about it before joining My Fitness Pal. I'm just wondering where it comes from, what it's supposed to be for, people's experiences, etc.... Any information you have about it, please post in this thread :)

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Hi,

I searched for a thread explaining this and couldn't find one so I thought I'd ask. I see some people on here talking about "eating 40/30/30", and I know it means 40% carbohydrates / 30% fat / 30% protein, but I've never really heard anything about it before joining My Fitness Pal. I'm just wondering where it comes from, what it's supposed to be for, people's experiences, etc.... Any information you have about it, please post in this thread :)

I think it's based on the Zone diet.

But have a look here if you want to adjust your macros a bit more personal to you -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    The zone diet presented the theory as far as I know, they wanted you to eat at these macros on every meal. It's discussed in the New rules of lifting as well. The basic idea in that book is that that a diet with less than 40%of your daily calories in carbs tends to have negative affects on mood and overall hapiness so eat up them yummy carbs, and that you should be eating 30% of your calories as protien (or roughly one gram per pound of body weight) which is very satiating and will keep you full longer, which leaves 30% left to dedicate to healthy fats. I have been following this way of eating (though not on a meal by meal basis) for 8 weeks now and though somedays I struggle to get enough protien, I'm never hungry and I find it very satisfiying as I never feel like I'm depriving myself of an one item; I can always find a way to fit it in my macros.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Oh hey thanks. I had heard of "the zone" but had no clue what it was. Any more info is still welcome.
  • heidijomitchell
    heidijomitchell Posts: 4 Member
    It's from a book published in the 1990's called The Formula. by Gene and Joyce Daoust. Easy to find and quite affordable on Amazon.
    Get it. It takes some effort to get 30% protein every day but you will really notice a difference in how you feel. I read it all in one night.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I set mine that way because Dan told me to! :tongue:

Helloitsdan is a member here and he put together the info in this awesome thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I've been eating according to the info there (calorie goal and macro settings) for about a year and have had my best success with dropping the fat since then. :drinker:
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    [/quote]

I think it's based on the Zone diet.

But have a look here if you want to adjust your macros a bit more personal to you -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    [/quote]

^This
    I tried 40/30/30 for about a week and felt horrible cutting my carbs down like that. I followed the thread above and feel much better!