Have I changed my shape?

Options
I've always been an hourglass figure. I'm a classic endomorph, and before I got fat I was curvy. I was skinny, but still curvy. Always had a narrow waist and the like. When I gain weight, I gain it all over. When I lose it... I seem to lose more of it on my upper body (especially in the chest :( ) than on my lower half. As a result, my torso can fit into a size small, and my legs are super chunky in comparison. I don't feel like I look proportional. I use the strength machines occasionally, but manly rely on cardio to build muscle in my legs, core and back. So far, it's been working. I can tell there is definite muscle growth, but it's hidden under layers of fat.

My measurements on my calf and by comparison, my waist, were as follows:
December 25
Calf: 19.5"
Waist: 32"

March 15
Calf: 18"
Waist: 26"
As you can tell, I clearly lose weight up top quicker than on the bottom.
Am I destined to have fat calves forever? Or am I NOT an hourglass anymore? Am I a pear shape now?

I know eventually my legs will slim down. I heard it's something like when I reach 18-20% body fat that is when they'll slim down. So... Please tell me I don't have another 7% to lose looking like gravity is in charge of my weight distribution?

Replies

• FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You aren't done yet. It's fairly common to lose fat from the top down or in some other irregular pattern. I did, and it made my rectangular frame look decidedly pear shaped for a while. But by the time I'd lost the flab from my belly it was rectangular again.
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    OK. I'm just worried I'll look like that girl from that TLC special with the giant legs. Like, even for being fat my legs are thick. It really sucks. Makes me wish I was more like my mom with her apple shape (even though I know the dangers with that) but at least she can wear cute knee high boots and doesn't have to buy them from specialty stores. I do my best to do intervals when I run, I do a minute of high kicks during my run every now and then, and I'll pick up my pace too for a few minutes... But I'm not seeing the results I'd normally expect as other people report.

Can anyone suggest any tips? Or any advice that I'm not doing yet?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pictures..Obviously the ones in the blue top are the more recent ones. You look great. I GUARANTEE no dude is going to be obsessing about your calves.
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    Aww! I wasn't even fishing for compliments! Lol! Thanks!