What should I buy for strength training? help!

Options
I want to buy some weights to get me started strength training.
I am not sure what I need to buy. I am on a budget.
Would it be a waste to just buy 10lb dumbbells for now?

Can you suggest a good routine for using these?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is a gym membership an option?

If not you might want to see if you can get adjustable dumbbell set like bowflex select tech..they are expensive, but look at this way if ou buy 10pd dumbbells they are going to get too light ..then you will buy 15# 20# etch ..by the time you you have accumulated all those dumbbells you could of just got an adjustable set for same price...

You should really build a strength program around deadlifting, squats, over head press, bench press etc...and then develop a total body routine around these moves....

hope this helps..
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend some decent strength bands. Very versatile and you can continue to use them and incorporate them into your routine even as it becomes more advanced.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    cheap kettle bell instead maybe
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I would start with 5 lb. dumbells and just do more reps. I recemtly went to 8 lb. dumbells and have to work up to them slowly. If I started with 10 lbs I'd have hurt myself.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Start with small weights, because you need to learn good form first
    I have two 3 lbs weights, that II just finished using actually! I'm only just now starting to look into upping my weights.
    See if you can find a trainer, they could help with good form and would be safer when you move up to higher weights.
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend some decent strength bands. Very versatile and you can continue to use them and incorporate them into your routine even as it becomes more advanced.

I love this idea, you can always use these, no matter what your workout evolves into! :)
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but it is hard for me to go. My toddler does not do well in the childcare there and I have been having to leave and get her mid-workout.
    I run 3x a week around the neighborhood (using c25k now) but I have heard over and over that strength training is the way to really tone.
    I can't invest in a bowflex or rack right now.
    I was looking at adjustable weights.
    I can look into kettleballs too.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Hi, there are so many routes you can take ..

Personally I would get a second hand set of dumb bells, preferably ones you can change / add plates as needed.

Start with a selection of small weights (4 x 1lb, 4 x 2.5lbs 4 x 5lbs etc) and either you tube some total body workouts, or scan the fitness / body building / strength sites for some routines.

It really depends on what your aims / goals are as to what routine would be best for you. The main thing is to use correct form in any exercise you do .. injuries are not fun and should be avoided at all costs!

Good luck and have fun ;o)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can just buy gallon water jugs fill them with different things like and tape the tops... Considering how expensive weights are unless you buy them of Craigs List DIY weights are some of the best and cheapest.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    There's a lot you can do to get started with strength training that doesn't require any equipment other than what you're equipped with every day... your body

A wall.... well perhaps you're surrounded by them at home... start with wall-pushups moving up the complexity all the way to one-handed or wherever you feel you're done

your chair or couch for squats, maybe you can do them without the rest beneath you..

the wall again for the starter pull-ups, also working to one-armed if you want to go that far with it

We're equipped with "everything" we need...

If you really "need' something a gallon milk jug filled with water will be around 8lbs, fill it with sand and move up to 12pounds or so. Cans of soup can take the budget place of dumbbells etc
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Go to every garage sale and thrift store, and see what u can find for 50 bucks. Then go to k-mart and see what u can get for 150 bucks.

It like a treasure hunt.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    things that weigh a lot?
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think you can get a set from Walmart or Target for under $40. Sometimes I see them for $20. They are adjustable, though not like the fancy adjustable ones that are more expensive. This will give you about 40 or 50 lbs to work with. That is good. I think this is better than just a set of 5 or 8 lbs ones. You will outgrow them as you are working out. This way with a set you can make what weight you need, as you need them.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    There's a lot you can do to get started with strength training that doesn't require any equipment other than what you're equipped with every day... your body

A wall.... well perhaps you're surrounded by them at home... start with wall-pushups moving up the complexity all the way to one-handed or wherever you feel you're done

your chair or couch for squats, maybe you can do them without the rest beneath you..

the wall again for the starter pull-ups, also working to one-armed if you want to go that far with it

We're equipped with "everything" we need...

If you really "need' something a gallon milk jug filled with water will be around 8lbs, fill it with sand and move up to 12pounds or so. Cans of soup can take the budget place of dumbbells etc

Exactly this.

Also, watch your toddler. What does s/he do when there is something desirable on the floor they want to pick up? A squat. A perfect bodyweight squat. Do that. A lot. Too easy? Do it with one leg.

Also lunges.

L-sits. Work up to it.

Bear crawls.

Take your kid to the playground and use the equipment there.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/04/12/playground-workout/

You don't have to spend a dime.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All excellent suggestions!
    Thank you so much :)