What worked for you??

Options

Replies

• 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Switching from using MFP calories to TDEE -20%.

MFP worked for a month or so but I've plateaued and haven't lost anything in weeks!

What is TDEE - 20%?? thanks!

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...in other words, how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period from alllll your activities...

Get more info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+3

I've been reading and studying this road map all day! I've figured and refigured and I think for my high body fat percentage, MFP has not had me eating enough calories. I weigh I'm 5'6" & 190 & wear a 12 and really don't look as overweight as I am because of the FAT. I've been logging for about a month and I think I need to adjust and start eating MORE. According to all the charts, my TDEE is 1958 and i've only been eating 1240 on non exercise days. He talks about his wife in his writings and he increased her and she started losing. I've went without hardly taking time to eat for so many years, the body fat just kept building up now I've got to eat right and get rid of it but I'm scared of overeating. Wish I knew how to figure for sure.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    MFP has been the biggest game changer for myself. I've tried other calorie counter/exercise apps and websites, but nothing ever comes close to the support I feel from the MFP community. The other big things has been making the gym a habit/part of my daily routine. Even when making plans with friends, I make sure to plan in such a way that I can still get a workout in, even if it's only 20 minutes. And I'm so thankful I have some very supportive friends that even sometimes go to the gym with me.
  • sandi117
    Options

MFP worked for a month or so but I've plateaued and haven't lost anything in weeks!

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...in other words, how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period from alllll your activities...

Get more info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+3

I've been reading and studying this road map all day! I've figured and refigured and I think for my high body fat percentage, MFP has not had me eating enough calories. I weigh I'm 5'6" & 190 & wear a 12 and really don't look as overweight as I am because of the FAT. I've been logging for about a month and I think I need to adjust and start eating MORE. According to all the charts, my TDEE is 1958 and i've only been eating 1240 on non exercise days. He talks about his wife in his writings and he increased her and she started losing. I've went without hardly taking time to eat for so many years, the body fat just kept building up now I've got to eat right and get rid of it but I'm scared of overeating. Wish I knew how to figure for sure.

Just try it out for a little bit. You'll be surprised how eating MORE can help you lose the weight. I started out at about a 1700 calorie allowance per MFP (and often would only eat 1300-1400). It worked for the first month (lost 17lbs!), though I think that's because I shocked my body going from probably 3000+ calories a day with no exercise down to the 1700 with exercising everyday (again often only eating 1300-1400). The weight loss then slowed down A LOT, to the point where I wasn't losing AT ALL. After doing some reading on BMR (mine is about 1670 now, it was about 1750), TDEE (about 2600 to maintain current weight, about 2100 to lose 1lb./week with my activity level), and all that fun stuff, I changed my allowance and now try to eat at least 1900 now and my weight loss started going again.

I put in your stats, and even with NO exercise, you should be eating at LEAST 1570 calories to lose 1lb./week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Education and planning
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Two words: pizza and running
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugars and starches.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ...portion control, I was eating 3x at a meal than I should have...

When I first started counting calories I was astonished by how much I was eating, then astonished that I wasn't starving when I ate the actual serving size.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    mfp for sure :) as well as discovering that I truly enjoy kickboxing classes, and some aerobics classes. I even feel a small sense of accomplishment going on the treadmill these days, and this is coming from the girl who used to HATE running ^^
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1. Slow but steady- I've been steady losing over the past 2 years after gaining 60 lbs. I have lost about 53 of those pounds, but I've not deprived myself or beaten myself up for missing a workout or going out to dinner. I see this as a lifestyle change and not a race to the finish line.

2. Taking breaks from dieting and working out- Well I haven't gone more than a week with not working out unless I was ill. However, I try to do periods where I am not overzealous about losing weight. Sometimes I will do a workout program just to maintain. Sometimes when I am done with a workout program like Insanity I loosen my diet. I try to maintain, but I know I will get back on the wagon almost immediately. I try not to make losing weight the center of my life. I did it before, and it caused me a lot of stress and anxiety.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Getting into keeping the diary. I really got into logging accurately and figuring out what stupid foods were just killing my calorie count for the day. Then eliminating them!

I have dropped my calories by a lot without any loss in what I think of as real good quality eating. I'm a real foodie and that's important to me.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    MFP and being honest with my food tracking and exercise. The friends I have on MFP have really inspired me to keep it going!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    eating less and moving more...really that simple.

the 'moving more' was trial and error..i tried bike, walking, gym , walking and eventually running found me.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Dukan Diet ( sorry for "diet":) ) did wonders for me . Even if I had to go through rough times I was able to keep off 8 pounds . I have a thyroid dysfunction and I can gain weight when I am at 1500 cals .At that rough times I ate french fries ..... a lot .....Now I am back on Dukan and the pounds just go off......
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    1. Food diaries
    2. Portion control
    3. Fitbit got me off my butt to walk so much more.
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Running!! entering in 5k's and 10k's this year and hopefully a half marathon in October. NO NO sodas! Water only and at times milk.Snacks usually include trail mix. I have not touched the snack machine at work this year either!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Get more info here:

Just try it out for a little bit. You'll be surprised how eating MORE can help you lose the weight. I started out at about a 1700 calorie allowance per MFP (and often would only eat 1300-1400). It worked for the first month (lost 17lbs!), though I think that's because I shocked my body going from probably 3000+ calories a day with no exercise down to the 1700 with exercising everyday (again often only eating 1300-1400). The weight loss then slowed down A LOT, to the point where I wasn't losing AT ALL. After doing some reading on BMR (mine is about 1670 now, it was about 1750), TDEE (about 2600 to maintain current weight, about 2100 to lose 1lb./week with my activity level), and all that fun stuff, I changed my allowance and now try to eat at least 1900 now and my weight loss started going again.

I put in your stats, and even with NO exercise, you should be eating at LEAST 1570 calories to lose 1lb./week.

THANK YOU! I'm going to up it this week and see what happens! :)
  • sandi117
    Options

THANK YOU! I'm going to up it this week and see what happens! :)

Keep in mind that if you are exercising, you definitely should eat more.
  • Ritterkev
    Options
    The most important thing was I tried to find happiness/joy/contentment in something other than food. Sometimes I gritted my teeth, other times I kept my mind busy with walking/running, reading, doing house work. At parties, I've tried to look to finding joy in the people instead of the food. This has been the most important change. "Change," I've heard it said, "is an inside job."

I've done a lot of the same things as the others, too. Planning daily meals, weekly shopping trips. I walk about 80 minutes a day. Seeing the numbers helps me to sometimes say, "hey, tomorrow, maybe I can do without 100 calories."

I've lost 29 pounds since January 24.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Bump! Definitely something I needed to read today!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    lower carbs higher protein lower calories
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!