How do I make brown rice more interesting?

Options
13»

Replies

• doctorwhome
    Options
    There's a lot you can do with brown rice depending on your mood. I eat it in the morning mixed with some plain Greek yogurt, berries, almonds and honey. For dinner, I'll put in some garlic (because garlic makes everything better) and whatever spices and sauces I'm in the mood for...usually salsa, soy sauce, or red wine vinegar.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I love rice, and sometimes find it bland too since I am no longer doing any kind of sauce on it... I have started adding lime and a little fresh cilantro to it, and it's amazing how that little bit of pop adds so much to it!!!! YUMMY!
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There's a lot you can do but my favorite go to is lemon & feta
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tiki Marsala .. YUMMM
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I tend to make spanish rice a lot when I do eat brown rice. Throw in a can of no sodium tomato sauce, pepper, diced onions, diced green bell peppers, diced tomatoes, 1/2 a can-1 can of corn, minced garlic and wala! :) You can then add in your black beans as a topping. Because of the versatility of this, I actually throw in already-cooked shredded chicken into the pot as well.

I do this as well. I only serve rice (brown, white or otherwise) when I make something with a good deal of gravy. Trinidad Stew Chicken, Curry Chicken/Shrimp, Dhal etc.

You have to season your rice to make it yummy enough to stand on it's own. To season rice, heat a little oil in a pan, add diced onion, 1/4 tsp of annatto, and finely diced/smashed garlic. When fragrant, add cold rice (brown or white) and stir well to coat. Continue to cook till rice is heated through, add anything you'd like to make it more interesting.

Suggestions are beans, diced sweet peppers, spinach, diced tomatoes, frozen veggies, really, the possibilities are endless. :drinker:
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Have a naked woman serve it to you. This works for all foods.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Add food coloring then you can make green rice :D
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to eat brown rice instead of something you enjoy eating?
    Mainly because it is one of the foods on a meal plan I am following and I always hear how good it is for you.
    Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

That's very interesting. Thanks for the information. I've always preferred white rice so now I don't feel so guilty if I choose it over brown. :)

Monica
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Make gravy. Use pan drippings if you have them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to eat brown rice instead of something you enjoy eating?

Mainly because it is one of the foods on a meal plan I am following and I always hear how good it is for you.

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9302338

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

Yeah, brown rice isn't really better for you. It's pretty much marketing, so that companies can get away with charging more money for it, even though it actually costs less to make then white rice.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Just put some soy sauce on it. A good rule of thumb is a 1/4 tsp for every 1/2 cup of rice.
  • dkutnyak
    dkutnyak Posts: 13
    Options
    Seems like brown rice is VERY high in calories. I am doing a raw/ plant based diet and I do like brown rice but the numbers add up fast per serving.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like to cook some steak in my cast iron skillet. I then fry my already cooked rice in the beef juice. Add veggies as desired. Curry powder goes great in the rice when frying it too.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions? I just started having brown rice and fish/chicken and its really good as long as I have some meat with it, but once the meet is gone it is really hard for me to continue eating it because of the blandness of the rice.

Any tips or things I can do to spice up the brown rice to make it more desirable?

I like to cook mine in beef broth or some saffron for flavor. I also like to add some roasted veggies and feta to it.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    I love brown rice, and I LOVE it best when added to crisp salads. Similar to the Southwest-Inspired salads you might see on the menu at a local restaurant, the flavors give the rice something to hold onto. Brown Rice, in my opinion, is wonderful for texture. The spices, veggies, proteins, cheeses, or sauces, are what give the rice it's delicious flavor. A favorite salad of mine, I put together with the following..

Chopped Romaine
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Green/Red Sweet Bell Pepper
    Sweet Corn Salsa [by World Table]
    Grilled Chicken + Fiesta-Lime Seasoning
    Brown Rice, Steamed
    Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
    Jalapeno-Lime Vinaigrette
  • pippa120862
    Options
    A tin of mixed taco beans in spicy sauce, small tin of sweetcorn, salt and a little cayenne pepper. Mixed all together and it tastes great.