Woman trying (and failing) to get bulky - wahhhhh!

Options
weese17
weese17 Posts: 236 Member
Ladies, if you're nervous about lifting heavy and getting bulky, read my story.

I've been lifting heavy for about a year (no particular program). My husband has been lifting for about 8 weeks, doing Stronglifts. I switched to Stronglifts right about the same time as he did. And man, I am SO PEEVED - he has just absolutely BLOWN past me in terms of strength and muscle development! Testosterone has made his progress a breeze, and it's not fair. :sad: He's turned into Popeye, and I am still Olive Oyl! Where are the big ol' round glutes and visible biceps that I was promised would develop when I lifted all the heavy things?! I am shaped like a freaking noodle still - and even more annoying is the fact that it takes me about 4 times as long to move up to heavier weights as him.

Everybody is different, and some women will definitely develop muscle faster than others. But I am doing exactly what so many women are scared of - lifting HEAVY - and not getting anywhere near the muscle development I would hope for.

Me (with apologies for the goofball face):

DSC00040_zps845f6c18.jpg

photobomb2_zps79ed090f.jpg

BULKY AS HELL. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

I seriously might switch to bodybuilding just to get a butt that isn't concave. :tongue:

Lucy

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The goof ball face is adorable.

Are you eating at a surplus?
  • weese17
    Options
    The goof ball face is adorable.

Are you eating at a surplus?

Methinks you haven't looked at my diary. :wink: I eat between 3000-3300 calories a day.
  • What's the difference between what you're doing now and bodybuilding?

ETA: I thought lifting heavy was what bodybuilders did to gain muscle.
  • weese17
    Options
    What's the difference between what you're doing now and bodybuilding?

ETA: I thought lifting heavy was what bodybuilders did to gain muscle.

Sort of - they definitely have a lot in common. The point of powerlifting is to develop strength; the point of bodybuilding is to develop an eye-popping physique. Obviously, you will develop muscle when you are lifting heavy, but not the way you would if you were deliberately targeting certain body parts and groups for muscle development. Powerlifting programs focus on compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, rows) whereas bodybuilding programs fall more along the line of the old split schedule, i.e., doing chest/legs on one day, back/biceps on another, etc. Make sense?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I was going to start lifting heavy so I could get some bulkiness up in heah.

Thank you for this post. Now I know that I would be better off just eating more potato chips. :(
  • weese17
    Options

Thank you for this post. Now I know that I would be better off just eating more potato chips. :(

I said BULKY, not LUMPY. :)

I am insanely jealous of your butt, btw. The genetic gods did not bless me.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    *slight thread hijack*

I love how your kiddo totally stole the picture. Adorable!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Wait . . . . BurtHuttz produces testosterone?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I think you look beautiful. Look at that shapely calf muscle! I mean err.. bulky calf muscle, sorry.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I said BULKY, not LUMPY. :)

I am insanely jealous of your butt, btw. The genetic gods did not bless me.

Oh thanks! MOAR SQUATZ!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic :drinker:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    HAHA! photo bomb! cute
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain that, despite her high intake, Weese is eating a surplus. She is lifting, does HIIT, is nursing a baby, and is chasing around toddlers in her spare time. She is in constant motion. I would imagine her TDEE on the order of 3500 - 4000 calories or more.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing a fantastic job! And I am also in the wimp department :( Workin' on it...as you can see by me scrubbing a old rusty barbell someone gave me lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    This is reassuring. I am lifting weights but DO NOT want to get visibly muscular, ripped, cut, whatever you want to call it, I don't like that look on women and especially not myself. ( If you do, fine, just not for me.) NO muscular arms or six-pack abs, thank you! I want curves and enough body fat to be smooth. Since I don't have a male body, it seems I CAN increase my strength without getting muscular!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you look great

as for the bulkin, yeah I wish I could bulk as easily as some femals on mfp claim to bulk
    I bulked for 4 months, gaind 1 lbs of muscle...

long way to go
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Ohmygosh! You mean you don't look like the Hulk?

Lifting rocks, you look amazing. Thanks for posting this :flowerforyou:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph. You, my dear, are an ectomorph. You will have to work very hard to put on muscle. I, however, am a mesomorph. I bulk up walking my dog :laugh:

We all just have to adjust for our body types. I suggest researching how to put on muscle for your body type and utilize those strategies.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Smexy for ssssuuurrrreee!!!!