Fat forever

Options
I'm just curious---I've been overweight since I was 5 years old. I've noticed a lot of people on here who are trying to lose weight that they've had since they had a baby, since they go married, etc. Are there a lot of people out there who don't know what it's like to be thin?

The reason I'm asking is because I don't have anything to compare myself to. I don't have skinny jeans, and I never bought a "when I'm thin" outfit, because I was never sure when I would get there. I have no concept of what I might look like at my ideal weight. I don't even know what my ideal weight might be! The BMI calculator says between 94 and 127 pounds (I'm five feet tall.) That is a pretty damn big difference! Who knows where the hell I'm gonna end up!

Thoughts???

Replies

• eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious---I've been overweight since I was 5 years old. I've noticed a lot of people on here who are trying to lose weight that they've had since they had a baby, since they go married, etc. Are there a lot of people out there who don't know what it's like to be thin?

The reason I'm asking is because I don't have anything to compare myself to. I don't have skinny jeans, and I never bought a "when I'm thin" outfit, because I was never sure when I would get there. I have no concept of what I might look like at my ideal weight. I don't even know what my ideal weight might be! The BMI calculator says between 94 and 127 pounds (I'm five feet tall.) That is a pretty damn big difference! Who knows where the hell I'm gonna end up!

Thoughts???
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I've been overweight since I was about 8 years old (I think it was when early puberty set in, lol) I don't know what it's like ot be thin. I'm 5'7" so my ideal weight is 118 to 159. the smallest I can remember being is 170........ I felt great at 170, lol......
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've been fat since about 3 or four. I had one or 2 "less fat" years, but for the majority of my 29 years I've been VERY overweight. (Clinically obese really.) I know that it's my fault, but lately I've been trying really good and still not succeeding. I'm praying that God will show me why.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    ive been fat at least 15 yrs. geting older,just want to try 1 last time to look like in 20s again minus the wrinkles lol oh and cant forget hair loss too damn
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    I had 4 wonderful years of being fit. At 5'7" I was 148. I was lean, strong and dammit... cute. *sniff* I felt great, I was comfortable and pain-free for the first time in my life. I will be there again. Ok, I'm older now... maybe I won't be that cute... but I will be in my size 8 Levi's!
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have been overweight all of my life. I lost 40 pounds in 2004.... And since being with my fiance and having two babies that are 13 months apart I managed to gain 100 pounds!!!!:grumble: I don't know what it's like to be skinny. I do have clothes that I cant fit into in my closet however after I am able to fit in them I will still need to lose about 50 more pounds. I think it's possible with calorie counting. I have tried evry diet you could think of with not a whole lot of results.. I have lost a little over 70 pounds now and I owe it to counting calories.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was always a little overweight, but then became an athlete in my early twenties (karate) I'm pretty sure in retrospect that I was exercise bulimic.

Then, stress, illness and the end of puberty officially hit and I got big. And I stayed big.

Now that I'm not big anymore, I think that my brain hasn't caught up to the transformation in my body. Every once in a while I'm shocked by my own reflection, etc. It's strange, and I think that it might be part of why so many people who lose weight gain it back. When you first become smaller, at least in my experience, you feel "naked" (can't think of how else to explain it) without your extra weight. All of a sudden, you're not invisible to others, and it's a shock. I still look at my "virtual model" doo-dad all the time. I practically meditate on it, saying to myself "this is how I appear to others". But, enough of my weirdness. I just think that the psychological part of reaching the goal weight is something I wish someone had told me about when I was losing. :flowerforyou:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    why to go rachel
  • kklpnltc
    kklpnltc Posts: 2
    Options
    For some of us there will never be "skinny jeans" there will just be jeans that we look really good in. I think losing weight is more about getting into a healthy BMI and just feeling good about yourself. Execise is so important because it helps you lose inches as well as weight. I found that out in the first 3-4 weeks when I lost no weight but I did lose inches. Those of us that have been big all of our lives need to come to terms with the fact that we are never going to be a size 6 but we can look REALLY good and that's great! Some people are born with great metabolisms and some are not. Those of us that are not have to work really hard to look our best and though it sucks it is possible. Just think of it as a challenge instead of a chore....it's helped me THIS time. lol forget the "skinny jeans" and just think how good you're going to look at say....even 130 or 140 pounds :) good luck :)
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i was a college athlete and before i had kids i stood at 5'3" 135. i was a lean mean fighting machine *flexes muscles*. since having kids, having had bad reaction to the depo provera shot and now dealing with the hypothyroidism from not having a thyroid....i'm more of a stay puft marshmallow chick. i'm working out and watching what i eat so that i'll be healthier. losing weight would be nice, but as long as i'm doing what i should be, then i'm happy. i'm fat and happy, i guess you could say *snorts*. i'm just doing what i can to be healthier, boost my immunity as much as i can (since i have a weakend immune system) and relieve stress. i'm comfortable with my body and so is hubby. there's just a little more of me to love :wink:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Thoughts???

I'm in the same boat. the lowest that I can remember my weight being is 172, but that was waaaaaaaaaay back in high school. I don't know what it's like to be a "normal weight". I guess we will just have to wait and see.:wink:

I'm just looking forward to losing some more weight and buying new clothes!:love:
  • lizburnsyb
    Options
    Yeah, I've been overweight since I was 15. I lost a bunch of weight during grad school (I'll never know how much I weighed because I was too poor to buy a scale!) and I have a pair of pants left over from then. They still don't fit. But even then, I wasn't skinny, just lighter for me. Based on where I am now, I probably lost around 30 lbs then. I still have some work to do!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight all my life. When I was in 8th grade I was 145 pounds and when I graduated high school I hit the 179 pound mark. It wasn't because I was big boned or puberty set in, it was because my family was on a fast food diet and my father had no shame in giving me 20 piece chicken mcnuggets for lunch when I was in the 6th grade and taco bell for dinner.

After I graduated high school I slimmed down to 125 and I had _no idea_ what to do with my weight. I didn't know what size clothes fit me and I remember walking into Torrid and wondering why everything was so big. I didn't realize how thin I was until laying in bed and seeing a hip bone.

I thought I was destined to be fat forever but cancer changed all of that. Now I'm 143 but I miss being super thin.

You're not destined to be fat, trust me.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one going through psychological torment! :laugh: It's so interesting to hear everyone's story.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    For years I have always thought I was ALWAYS fat. But now, looking back at some old pictures, I wasn't so big, at least not compared to now. But I was ALWAYS told by an abusive step father "if I was as fat as you I would hide in the closet". So I grew up thinking I was fat. Not once in my life have I ever thought I was the right size. Had I only known then what I know now about being fat, boy would I do things differently!!!!!

Memaw
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I was a very thin child and started gaining weight around 10 years old. I was overweight thru high school then when I was 18 the weight just started falling off. (I think it was from working too much and not really having a chance to eat). I really didn't know what to make of all of the extra attention I got being so thin. I kind of wished I didn't look so good because I didn't like to be in the spotlight. Then I started a new job mostly sedentary and I started packing the pounds back on. I was super embarrassed as everyone thought I was pregnant since they never knew me as overweight. I tried to stop gaining but didn't know how to begin eating right. Seven years later I was still overweight and met my fiance and gained at least another 20 lbs now 3 years and two kids later I was at 240 and after being a SAHM for 7 months and packing on another 18 lbs for a grand total of 258 I was starting to scare myself from knowing how fast I was gaining weight. Then I found this site. YAHHH!!! The end