eliptical workout?

Options
I recently bought a shwinn elliptical that I really like. It was cheap and gives me a really good workout. :smile: The only problem is that the handlebars are at a weird angle where I feel like I have to lean too far forward to hold onto them. I was considering just wearing wrist weights and trying to balance without holding onto the handle bars. Do you think the core workout used in balancing would be comparable to the arm workout from using the handles? Is there another solution you could think of? I don't want to send it back cause that is the only thing I don't like about it. What are some pro/cons you could think of about this situation?

Replies

• Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    email the supplier, perhaps it has been assembled incorrectly or they may have a solution - never accept something that isnt 100% compatible with yourbody
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some machines have as an option where the handles can slide further back on the petals to bring them a little closer to you. After using an elliptical for 3+ years I have come to realization that there is no such thing as an "arm workout" when using them. That's what free weights are for. Mainly they are, and should only be looked at as providing a certain level of cardio to your personal workout routine. Yes, it can moderately strengthen your legs, but it does not focus on any specific muscle groups. I don't know if the balancing is a great idea as you will never to able to go as fast as you could with something to hold onto and won't be able to get your heart rate as high. Maybe once you get a little stronger, you will find the spread of the handles does not bother you as much either.