Kids sayings that stay in the family.....

Options
Karabobarra
Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
Do you have a funny saying that was derived from something a kid said and it seems to stick around for years and years?

When my son was little you could not feed him fast enough, he was always hungry (hefty growth spurts) one day when he was about 3 we were in the car, on the way to get something to eat and he was telling me how hungry he was "Are you a Starvin Marvin?" I asked ...he replied "No, I'm a starvin Zak" ..lol.

So I gave a chuckle and re-phrased it..."Are you starving to death? Do you think you could eat as much food as a hippo?" He replied "No mama, I don't want hippo food...I want people food" ...ok. clearly this isn't helping so we started singing ABC's

A few days later while I was fixing dinner he was complaining about how hungry he was so hoping to keep him patient for a little bit longer I asked him how hungry he was...he replied in a whiny voice while clenching his stomach dramatically ..."I'm so hungry I can feel myself dying!!" ...(starving to death) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My son is almost 15 now and we still use the phrase "I'm so hungry I can feel myself dying" in the family.

Do you have any funny kid sayings or phrases that are unique to your family?

Replies

• MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious. I'm sure my family has some silly things that my brother and I said growing up that we talk about all the time, but I can't think of any of them off the top of my head. We definitely talk a lot about the fact that my brother used to vomit on every road trip and in every restaurant. We like going out to dinner and trying to remember if it was a place in which he once threw up. Poor kid's 20 now and he'll probably never live it down.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    "Nothing happens!" said by my niece when she was 5 whenever someone felt worried about something.

"'Fini" said by my nephew when he was 3 whenever he wanted to end or stop something [finished]
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same, but when my girl was much smaller and couldn't find something, she would stand in the middle of the room with her arms out and turn to the left and right, saying, "Where? WHERE is it?" very dramatic-like. So when we can't find something we feel we should be able to find, like the remote, we do the same thing.

She also used to call Applebee's Applewee's for some reason (we have probably eaten there 3 times, ever), and I've kept that one.
  • Foxxy18
    Foxxy18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When my brother was 4 or 5, my mom was talking to my sister, who was probably six months old at the time. She was just saying the nonsense that moms say to their young ones, and my brother's in the background the whole time saying "She can't talk mom! She can't talk!" hahaha(: (we have this on tape lol)

Same tape, I was 8 or 9, and I took the camera and started taping for my mom and my brother follows me around saying, "PAIGE! That's not yours! That's mom's!" haha, we like to give him a hard time about those(:

He would also giggle after each bite of peanut butter. Totally random, but it was really cute(:
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My little brother is full of those - he came about a dozen years after the rest of us, so we all appreciate just how strange that kid is.

Once, he was at his grandma's house where they have a playground. We call him "Super Kooper" and my grandmother goes "here comes, Super Kooper down the slide!" For years afterwards, he would tell us that that was his nickname "Super-Kooper-down-the-slide."

When asked how long he'd been farming (at about age two) he said "most of my life."

He has a fascination with sticks as swords and would sword fight with my dad using either tinker toys or vacuum cleaner attachments. He gets very serious and says "Red-dy, go!" when he wants to play, with the distinct pause in the middle. The whole family has picked it up. Even now, in college, I catch myself saying it before leaving a room.

Instead of saying things are taller, he always says "longer" or "larger" which leads to strange situations.

When he knows someone's full name, he uses it, even to the point of ridiculousness. For example: for some time he called my dad "Daddy Kevin David Bluegill (his nickname) [our last name]" every time he wanted something.

He loves animals and animal shows will leave him enraptured. When asked if how tough he is, he once responded "tougher than woodpecker lips" which has stuck around for quite some time.

I'm sure there's more.
  • JompJomp
    JompJomp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my cousin once went with my other slightly potty mouthed uncle when she was little while he was running errands, and everywhere she went the people gave her something. A balloon at the grocery store, a sticker at the bank, a piece of candy somewhere else, etc. So when she got home, her mom asked her, "wow! what do you think your dad's gonna say?" and she replied with a big smile, "hes gonna say i'm a lucky *kitten*!" i hear this story ALL THE DAMN TIME. lol
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    My nephew is the King of Comedy of my family. How that child comes up with some of the things he says is just beyond me!
    One of my faves is "Yesternight"--cousin to "Yesterday"!
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My son just used this one today, but I'm sure we will be using this one for generations to come :wink:

"I hunger for justice... and bacon" :laugh:

My kids are 19 months apart. When my youngest was born, his older brother couldn't say William, so he called him Nom Nom. He's rarely called Nom Nom, but it still comes up. Mostly he's called Wonka, but that's something I started calling him 15 years ago :wink:
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My son just used this one today, but I'm sure we will be using this one for generations to come :wink:

"I hunger for justice... and bacon" :laugh:

My kids are 19 months apart. When my youngest was born, his older brother couldn't say William, so he called him Nom Nom. He's rarely called Nom Nom, but it still comes up. Mostly he's called Wonka, but that's something I started calling him 15 years ago :wink:

My middle daughter could not pronounce her older sister's name (Dominique) ...it came out "Bageek" ...we still call her that sometimes. :) and my son would call his sister "owie" instead of Ali...ha ha...there would be times he would go around yelling "Owie, Owie!" And I thought he was hurt
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a Rainbow leader and when we sing the Goodnight Song it has the words `With our Lord God by our sides`. One of our little Rainbows always sings `With our lawyers by our sides`! It has me in stitches of laughter every week.